No Power To Headlight? :/

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Any idea what caused the light to error for you? Did your ballast break?

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Any idea what caused the light to error for you? Did your ballast break?

Yeah it was my after market hid kit. The ballast was a bit faulty, kept flickering then went off so got it replaced and now back fully working

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Yeah it was my after market hid kit. The ballast was a bit faulty, kept flickering then went off so got it replaced and now back fully working

Okay, my car didn't have the HIDs in for a while so they sat in the box doing nothing.
I put them back in on Monday night and they knocked the power to the drivers side headlight again :(. I swapped the ballasts around to make sure it wasn't them, and still got the problem. I then put a new set of HID bulbs in and it still does it.
This leaves only one cause... the car!
Mine's a 2010 FL, and by the looks of it I can't have HIDs in it, so tonight they're going to come out :(

Extra info...
- Initially the car shut down power to the drivers side headlight bulb to save blowing a fuse, and the only way to resolve it was to take the battery off and re-connect it, to reset the computer.
- Sometimes the light will work on start-up (before I've started moving) but never works if I put my headlights on whilst in motion. Other times, they wont come on at either of those, but if I stop at a set of lights, take the key out, start back up and try again, they'll work :blink:.

Has anyone else had this problem and successfully managed to solve it? If so... please tell me how you did it before I have to get rid of my lovely HIDs :(

Thanks

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Sounds like the brand of the hids.

I use hids4u.co.uk ultimate kit and they work perfect in my 2010 FL cupra.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Ahh... These are the equivalent of the 'terminator' kits from HIDs Direct. I don't have these but I may try swapping them as the ones I have are brand new!

They're sending out some in-line error cancellor/resistors to me, and advised me to go back if they Dont do the trick.

I'm a little more hopeful at the moment :)

Thanks!

Okay, the in-line error cancellers actually flagged errors permanently, and neither of the lights would come on with them attached.

I went back today and get a terminator ballast kit and it works perfectly! and error free!:funk:

The moral of the story... If you have a facelift leon mk2, you need the most expenive ballasts or your canbus system will throw a wobbler!

Mmm....HIDs...

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I got the ones sfmk2 linked :)

Just installed them okay, didn't screw a hole into the back of the headlight, managed to get the wires through the side, and then rest the ballasts where they won't move so didn't screw them either!

Dead easy to remove when MOT due september 2013!

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
I'm assuming you need the H7R bulbs btw? :D

H7R are the ones you need if you have reflector headlights, though mine aren't and weren't on my Clio either, but they don't dazzle and the beam pattern is fine!
If you have the globe 'projectors' that the Bi-Xenon kit come with, you'll be fine with H7.
I got the ones sfmk2 linked :)

Just installed them okay, didn't screw a hole into the back of the headlight, managed to get the wires through the side, and then rest the ballasts where they won't move so didn't screw them either!

Dead easy to remove when MOT due september 2013!

Brilliant, well done Jarre! Don't forget photos when it goes dark! :)

Anyone else wanting to fit HIDs should look here for instructions or drop me a PM and I'll PM you back with a guide (similar to the one on this thread), and fit your ballasts like this...
20120529190327.jpg

(undo the bolt holding the washer bottle on, put the ballast bracket in, and screw back in)
20120529190348.jpg

(Undo the torx screw on the front right of the filter box, make a 90 degree bend in the bracket, and screw back in)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Also just wanted to say that i took my led number plate bulbs out to check the errors on the HID kit and its all clear!

So the terminator kit from HIDs direct is error free on facelift leons :)

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Right been out so go some pics :)

51633afa-327a-b96e.jpg

51633afa-328a-ff12.jpg

Looking good! Beam pattern is still great! :)

Also just wanted to say that i took my led number plate bulbs out to check the errors on the HID kit and its all clear!

So the terminator kit from HIDs direct is error free on facelift leons :)

The Terminator kit is their 'big daddy' HID kit, I'm just glad they work brilliantly after the canbus pro ones gave me so many problems! :funk:
I've had no problems and no errors with these!

Deleted member 74601

Just to double check, what temperature did you get?

shutcorea

Nov 22, 2011
Mexico
Try this first....

I had the same problem, I fitted HIDs and the ballast went a bit funny and the light went off.

Replace with standard bulb to get me going until i ordered a replacement HID ballast. Put standard bulb in and it wouldnt light up at all!

With much checking of fuses and relays I decided to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to see if it would reset anything.

Re connected battery and it worked!

I think if it detects a short or something it shuts down the control until and it is reset when taking the battery connectors off for 10 mins.

Give it ago you have nothing to loose :)

OMG!!! thank you!! thank you thank you!! I've fitted HIDs and they worked great but for some reason they started giving trouble...:( flickering and I've got the blown bulb light on my dash. Today all of the sudden the driver's bulb didn`t turn on at all...so I decided to fit my old halogen bulbs and I said :wtf: when the driver's bulb still wouldnt turn on!! I've tried turning the car on, off, switching bulbs, etc etc...none work......

After a little google search I've found your thread and omg......IT WORKED!!!!! :clap:

Thank you!!!