Gas struts mod

leeds/lee

Oct 29, 2014
www.facebook.com
Anyone fitted gas struts to there bonnet, i would of thought seat would of done this standard but nope.

Sent from my iPhone 9 from a time machine

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Like 5 minutes easy lol

Probably easier than fiddling about changing a bulb, put it that way lol

I got my brackets for £5, the M8 Ball nuts off eBay £3 & an Audi A3 strut £10. £18 in total

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Like 5 minutes easy lol

Probably easier than fiddling about changing a bulb, put it that way lol

I got my brackets for £5, the M8 Ball nuts off eBay £3 & an Audi A3 strut £10. £18 in total

Where did you get the brackets from (I assume you mean the "plates" posted in Guncha's second link above)?

The ones in the threads linked to all look home-made to me (??) Or do you just mean you paid £5 for the 2mm plate metal in order to make them yourself?

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Where did you get the brackets from (I assume you mean the "plates" posted in Guncha's second link above)?

The ones in the threads linked to all look home-made to me (??) Or do you just mean you paid £5 for the 2mm plate metal in order to make them yourself?

Yeah I mean't the plates. I was given the details from Sam (username Jarre) on here for a guy he used that makes the plates. He will make them and send them all for £5. I can send you his email address if you want to contact him for some?

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Yeah I mean't the plates. I was given the details from Sam (username Jarre) on here for a guy he used that makes the plates. He will make them and send them all for £5. I can send you his email address if you want to contact him for some?

Thanks :) Yes, can you please PM me his email address because I might look at doing this mod myself. Doing it seems to be a no-brainer if the parts can be got fairly easily.

Which year of A3 did you get the strut from?

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Thanks :) Yes, can you please PM me his email address because I might look at doing this mod myself. Doing it seems to be a no-brainer if the parts can be got fairly easily.

Which year of A3 did you get the strut from?

The strut is off an A3 8L which is 96-03.

I'll send you a PM shortly mate ;)

Apr 1, 2014
'up anley duck'
you can use most struts in the vag range. i used the boot strut and ball joints from an audi a4 estate then fitted with a nut and washer it cost me about £2.50

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I guess a strut from a larger car like the A4 is going to have a higher rating (due to having a larger/heavier tailgate) and will likely make it more difficult to close the bonnet than a strut from an A3 (?)

Ideally one that has just enough pressure to lift the weight of the bonnet on its own would be the best option.

Apr 1, 2014
'up anley duck'
I guess a strut from a larger car like the A4 is going to have a higher rating (due to having a larger/heavier tailgate) and will likely make it more difficult to close the bonnet than a strut from an A3 (?)

Ideally one that has just enough pressure to lift the weight of the bonnet on its own would be the best option.

the a4 strut closes my bonnet fine and opens fine.

Daniel M

Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
As Banksy said the A4 ones are fine and others have used them before. I got mine from an A3 bonnet as I knew it would be fine as my A3 8L has one.

Clazzer - I'll PM you it now.

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
Do like I'm doing and get all the bits and then just put them in the shed!

Probably be 2016 when I eventually get round to fitting them!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.