Gas struts mod

inertiauk

Nov 22, 2014
Can someone PM me a contact for the guy who makes the brackets please ? I've got the thee bits. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I had all the stuff but the strut I got was duff. I remember it needed to have an angled end. The a3 ones (newer ines) seem to not have this angle. So should it be the older A3 8L form or 8P?
This is the strut I ordered which is just some no-name one probably made in the far east: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290946506377

It seems to be the end on the damper that is usually slightly angled but you can't tell from the picture of the one I've ordered (it might just be a stock picture anyway). If you look at the Febi Bilstein ones for the 8L you can clearly see the slight angle HERE), but again there is no way of knowing if stock pictures from another model have just been used.
Mine arrived today and I can now confirm that the no-name one in the eBay link above does have an angled end on so happy days :)

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
Fairly sure they're what I've used. Got a spare one if anyone wants it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Yeah, most used ones are more than that so it seems a no-brainer. These are the 13mm M8 ball studs I ordered...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251724961652

Right, no-one order the ball joints that I ordered from the link above (I hope no-one already has). Looks like I've misread the posts on here and have purchased ball joints with a 13mm ball and an 8mm (M8) thread. Now that I have my strut I can see that the ball is way too large.

It appears that the ball needs to be 10mm and the thread M8 with a 13mm nut (so not a 13mm ball joint) :doh:

My strut also doesn't look long enough to me. It seems it could do with being a bit longer. Can someone please confirm the length of their strut when fully extended and whether the bonnet doesn't open as wide with the strut fitted as it did when using the original bonnet prop. Mine is 520mm long with a strength of 350N and it does have the 8L0823359 part number on the bag so it is an Audi A3 one.

Last edited:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Right, no-one order the ball joints that I ordered from the link above (I hope no-one already has). Looks like I've misread the posts on here and have purchased ball joints with a 13mm ball and an 8mm (M8) thread. Now that I have my strut I can see that the ball is way too large.

It appears that the ball needs to be 10mm and the thread M8 with a 13mm nut (so not a 13mm ball joint) :doh:

Too late ffs :rolleyes:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Too late ffs :rolleyes:

Sorry :redface:

I've now edited my original post to add a warning so no-one else inadvertently orders the particular ball studs I posted a link to. It's a shame because they're nicely made ball studs. The alternative would be to buy new ends for the struts (they just screw off) which can take a 13mm ball. I might see how much these are because if the cost is comparable to new ball studs then it might be just as easy / cost effective to do that.

Last edited:

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
I've ordered them and they worked fine?

You probably ordered the correct studs with a 10mm ball on and not ones with a 13mm ball on like I did :rolleyes: I didn't even think about it. Just saw a reference on here to "13mm" and assumed it was for the ball when in fact it was for the nut. Then I saw those 13mm ones on eBay listed as being compatible with the VAG cars so I just clicked buy it now without even giving it a second thought. Next tome I'll make sure I double check :D

Last edited:

ECB

Edward CB
Jun 26, 2013
Northampton
Just checked you're right yeah. It was the 10mm ball one. Also just to confirm the strut length I used is 520mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members