17511 and blue smoke!

solway

Jun 13, 2010
I've just fixed various leaks in my '04 20VT's PCV system after it started running rough at idle(replaced crankcase & cam cover breather pipes etc). I took the car for a couple of short runs - on the second run it started putting out blue smoke (only noticeable whilst stationary at idle, but maybe I just can't see it when on the move). The car is otherwise running and pulling well. There also seem to be some kind of deposits on the dipstick, which look scarily like mayonnaise (but nothing under the oil filler cap), although it doesn't seem to be using coolant. I checked the fault codes and I've got a 17511 - oxygen (Lambda) sensor heating; B1 S1: performance too low / P1103 - 35 -10 ---intermittent. I can't help but think this blue smoke and my fixing of the PCV leaks must be linked somehow - I've re checked all the pipework and it all looks as it should - has anyone experienced this sequence of events before?

Stuart09

Dec 24, 2016
A faulty pcv valve can cause blue smoke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

solway

Jun 13, 2010
Stuart, that would make sense - the PCV valve is the original (seemed to be working when I blew through it but it's maybe struggling now the system is pressurized again after a long period of leaking). Will get a new one.

Stuart09

Dec 24, 2016
Not sure if there is a way to test it but it looks the cheapest of the blue smoke diagnosis if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

solway

Jun 13, 2010
Quick update - new PCV valve cured the blue smoke. Still running a bit rough on idle however...maybe sucked some gunk into the intercooler, or another PCV leak in one of the few pipes I haven't replaced!