1999 cupra sport stalling probs

whitespider75

Hi there,i recently bought a 1999 cupra sport 2.0 8v,and the car runs fine until i slow down at traffic etc,and dip the clutch and the revs drop right down to under 500rpm then splutters and is ok ,but sometimes stalls,any ideas thx.......:cry:

whitespider75

seems to be worse when its cold!!thx for response........

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
and idle control valve could do with a good clean out/check i would imagine

throttle body switch + wiring although 16v's suffer most with that

one thing at a time - to see if anything changes

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
It could be a number of things but to start i'd go throttle body. Get a can of carb cleaner, take the air hose off and give it a good blast and clean. Get someone to rev and while the body is open get a few squirts in there.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
seems to be worse when its cold!!thx for response........

there is a common fault of ecu temp sensor that controls the choke as it were with symptoms of runs great cold but crap/rich when warm (stuck on cold) or opposite of crap when cold (breathless) but fine when warmed up

Vagcom to check the ecu temperature reading when fully warm is one way of testing it but they are not expensive anyway if you have checked all cracks/pipes etc first

reminds me must change mine :)

whitespider75

nice one will check that thx,i changed the breather pipe as had huge tear in it,not noticed a change though,trying to avoid paying the earth to run a diagnostics on it cheers.....

whitespider75

gti cupra 123 thx for that,just looked at the thread and seems straight forward enough,couldnt believe that saw a post from gticupra123 about the same problem,and then saw a pic of my car on his profile,guess he didnt fix the problem after all lol!!!!!!!!!!

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
99% sure it'll be the throttle body that's gunked up ;)

The idle on the 2.0 8v is controlled by a stepper motor on the Throttle Body, that cranks the butterfly valve open slightly to allow the engine to idle. Due to the crankcase breather going into the inlat pipe before the TB, all of the oily gunk collects on the butterfly valve and stops the stepper motor from opening it.

I picked up a 2.0 8v really cheap on ebay because it had this problem, 30mins cleaning later and it was running as good as new :lol:

whitespider75

idle problem solved now,sprayed carb cleaner in the throttle body noticed was pretty gunked up around the butterfly valve,now ticks over at a steady 1000rpm,revs drop only about 50-100rpm when clutch down coming to a stop,thx for your help guys ....................

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
I'd be half tempted to take the throttle body off, and clean it properly.

Carb cleaner will only get some of the gunk shifted, and you may find that you have to do it again in 6 months time.

If you do take it off, make sure you get a replacement gasket first ;)

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
managed to give mine a really good clean out *in situ* Andy.. used a toothbrush :D (oh, and a fair amount of blood from my freshly sliced/diced fingers) and a few cusses
:D

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
34ipsvn.gif

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.