2.0 TDI 184 Excessive Oil Consumption.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I have the 1.2L petrol but had same symptoms as the OP. In the end I was using 1L every 500 Miles.

Had a complete engine strip down and needed valve stem seals changing along with the piston rings... Namely the oil scraper ring as this was clogged up not allowing any oil back into the sump....Hence pushing it into combustion chamber and burning it out the back.

The new oil scraper ring is the newer version which has way more holes in it to allow more oil to return to sump.

Now on my 5000 mile oil change oil doesn't drop at all...

Reactions: BillyCool

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I have the 1.2L petrol but had same symptoms as the OP. In the end I was using 1L every 500 Miles.

Had a complete engine strip down and needed valve stem seals changing along with the piston rings... Namely the oil scraper ring as this was clogged up not allowing any oil back into the sump....Hence pushing it into combustion chamber and burning it out the back.

The new oil scraper ring is the newer version which has way more holes in it to allow more oil to return to sump.

Forgot to add, only using quantum oil now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperV8

May 30, 2019

Interesting feedback - I do think manufactures are 'playing' with the oil control ring tension - trying to get a balance between tight and good oil scraping - vs looser and lower friction (better MPG/CO2) at the cost of burning more oil!

I thought the holes were in the piston to allow oil drain back - rather than in the oil control rings which are just two fine rings separated by a wavy ring?
Did you just have new rings or new pistons as well?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Interesting feedback - I do think manufactures are 'playing' with the oil control ring tension - trying to get a balance between tight and good oil scraping - vs looser and lower friction (better MPG/CO2) at the cost of burning more oil!

I thought the holes were in the piston to allow oil drain back - rather than in the oil control rings which are just two fine rings separated by a wavy ring?
Looking more into this -
I think this might also apply to our engines:
Seems Volvo have acknowledged this and changed the design - but I can't see any new part numbers for us?

Diesel piston ring set 04L198151 ring set:
1670341184635.png

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes

I only had time to have a quick look at the old piston rings when I popped down to the garage to see how the rebuild was coming along. And from what I saw the original rings in the video you posted looked like my originals. And the new rings looked more like the wavy bit of metal sandwiched between to thinner rings.
Giving way bigger holes to allow oil to pass back through the hole in the piston into the sump.

I only had piston rings and valve stem seals replaced. They cleaned up and pistons, had them inspected and measured and were all OK to reuse.

Sent from my SM-S9080 using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2023
I have Audi A3 2015 TDi 2.0 quattro sportback 184 and I have issue with oil burn but only when I step on it.. Now I have used VW-AG 0-W30 oil so far so good..

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.