2.0TDI excessive oil consumption

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Been having an issue with oil consumption recently, car is consuming roughly 700-1000ml every 1000 miles or so.
Checked today and the pipe for the crankcase ventilation has a decent amount of oil in it, so from what I've read elsewhere there's a small diaphragm which can be replaced and it's on the rocker cover, however unsure if the cover needs to be fully removed to access it.
Would this be a good place to start, replacing the diaphragm/whole rocker cover? Or is there something else I should check first?

Thanks

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Been having an issue with oil consumption recently, car is consuming roughly 700-1000ml every 1000 miles or so.
Checked today and the pipe for the crankcase ventilation has a decent amount of oil in it, so from what I've read elsewhere there's a small diaphragm which can be replaced and it's on the rocker cover, however unsure if the cover needs to be fully removed to access it.
Would this be a good place to start, replacing the diaphragm/whole rocker cover? Or is there something else I should check first?

Thanks
Out of curiosity - I disconnected my breather hose (184tdi) and stuck my finger in - and it came out clean.

No idea if it would help your problem - but looks to me like you can change the regulating valve diagram with the cover in place?
There is no official VAG part number - so would be a new cylinder head cover - but some companies on line look like they sell just the rubber diagram?
From here:

1684243035442.png

Regarding oil consumption this is an interesting thread:

Reactions: CalJames and Compo1

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
I gave that a good read the other night, it's where I got the idea for changing the diaphragm. Managed to find one on eBay and fitting it on Monday.
I'm really hoping it's not the piston rings, rebuilding the engine is a lot of work/money. Plus it's not really something that should fail on a car with 86k miles

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I gave that a good read the other night, it's where I got the idea for changing the diaphragm. Managed to find one on eBay and fitting it on Monday.
I'm really hoping it's not the piston rings, rebuilding the engine is a lot of work/money. Plus it's not really something that should fail on a car with 86k miles
Fingers crossed!

I agree, high oil consumption shouldn't be a worry, but if you search on other manufactures you find most modern engines can have oil consumption issues - probably brought on by extended oil change intervals and low tension oil control rings.

What's your service history like? how many oil changes?

Other culprits to oil consumption are turbo and valve stem oil seals, which would be easier than new piston rings!

What's your DPF regen situation? At that high oil consumption I presume its trying to regularly regen?

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Fingers crossed!

I agree, high oil consumption shouldn't be a worry, but if you search on other manufactures you find most modern engines can have oil consumption issues - probably brought on by extended oil change intervals and low tension oil control rings.

What's your service history like? how many oil changes?

Other culprits to oil consumption are turbo and valve stem oil seals, which would be easier than new piston rings!

What's your DPF regen situation? At that high oil consumption I presume its trying to regularly regen?
Before we got the car serviced every 12 months, mileage was always less than 9k.
Since we got it, it's always every 9k.

She does around 300 miles a week with work and it's normally 1-2 regens in that week.

But this is the bit that scares me, I've been using the car for the last week and it hasn't used any oil, nor has it done a regen. The mechanic I use said that if it's the regen that's causing the oil consumption it could be the piston rings.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just for reference - VAG do not consider oil use high until is exceeds 1ltr per 1000 km ( 1ltr per 620 miles !!!! )
This for a modern engine is a shocking amount of oil use to be classed as normal.

Reactions: Walone

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Before we got the car serviced every 12 months, mileage was always less than 9k.
Since we got it, it's always every 9k.

She does around 300 miles a week with work and it's normally 1-2 regens in that week.

But this is the bit that scares me, I've been using the car for the last week and it hasn't used any oil, nor has it done a regen. The mechanic I use said that if it's the regen that's causing the oil consumption it could be the piston rings.
So you have good oil change history - which is beneficial for your rings.
1 - 2 regens every 300 miles doesn't sound too excessive to me? The engine's with piston ring issues are more like regens ever 50 miles from what I read.

Don't get the last comment - regen's don't cause oil consumption!

car is consuming roughly 700-1000ml every 1000 miles or so
The VAG 'allowance' for oil consumption is 0.5L per 1000km - which is 1L per 1240 miles! or 0.81L per 1000miles.
Your 0.7 - 1.0L per 1000miles straddles this so personally I'd just monitor closely for the next few months - mileage done per oil added to try to get an accurate figure?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Just for reference - VAG do not consider oil use high until is exceeds 1ltr per 1000 km ( 1ltr per 620 miles !!!! )
This for a modern engine is a shocking amount of oil use to be classed as normal.
No - it's 0.5L per 1000km! or 1L per 1240 miles.

1684320004084.png

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
As I said - they do not consider it HIGH until 1ltr per 1000km

You are quoting what they consider NORMAL
Going from their stated standard of 'oil consumption can me as much as 0.5L per 1000km' I would suggest they consider anything above 0.5/1000 high!

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
@SuperV8 He said something along the lines of when it does a regen the extra fuel in the cylinders is causing diesel to leak into the oil, thin it down and allow it back through the the rings.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
@SuperV8 He said something along the lines of when it does a regen the extra fuel in the cylinders is causing diesel to leak into the oil, thin it down and allow it back through the the rings.
Failed regen attempts from short trips usually resulting in diluted oil and increase oil level! Seems more common in some brands like Ford, Volvo and Mazda than VAG.

300 miles a week should be fine for your DPF.

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Diaphragm changed and now to see if it uses any oil on a long drive. Got 2 60 mile journeys over today and tomorrow so should know for sure tomorrow evening.
Pictures of it in spoiler. It's pretty much stuck in that shape and pops back instantly.
20230522_132328.jpg
20230522_132334.jpg

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Diaphragm changed and now to see if it uses any oil on a long drive. Got 2 60 mile journeys over today and tomorrow so should know for sure tomorrow evening.
Pictures of it in spoiler. It's pretty much stuck in that shape and pops back instantly.

Interesting, doesn't look good. Hope it helps.
This diaphragm 2000003231 seems common on many TDI's including the older EA189.
1684828553347.png

Did the cover come off easily?
Did the new part fit well?

Attachments

• 1684828553347.png
    1684828553347.png
    232 KB · Views: 1,245

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Interesting, doesn't look good. Hope it helps.
This diaphragm 2000003231 seems common on many TDI's including the older EA189.
1684828553347.png

Did the cover come off easily?
Did the new part fit well?
One of the injectors needed removing to make space for the cover to come off, no issue with fitment so just a case of waiting now.
The missus will be using it for work on the weekend, 37 miles each way so if it doesn't use any oil then it looks like it's sorted. Just the ABS sensor to get sorted then it should be all good.

I've done a bit of driving and no oil consumption so far, makes me happy knowing I might not need to spend a huge lump of money on a rebuild/new engine

Reactions: SuperV8

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
UPDATE:
Done about 5000 miles since and the issue has returned. Car is using about 1L every 800 miles or so, not really sure where to go next with this.

Was running perfect up until last week and just started drinking oil again. I could keep changing the diaphragm every 6 months at a cost of around £30, but obviously not an ideal solution.

Any ideas welcome

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
UPDATE:
Done about 5000 miles since and the issue has returned. Car is using about 1L every 800 miles or so, not really sure where to go next with this.

Was running perfect up until last week and just started drinking oil again. I could keep changing the diaphragm every 6 months at a cost of around £30, but obviously not an ideal solution.

Any ideas welcome
Has the diaphragm gone crinkly/out of shape again? or is it still looking good/round?
Did this new diaphragm temporarily cure the problem?
Do any of your hoses have oil residue/collection? breather hose and turbo pipes?
I think there is more going on inside your cylinder head cover/breather system - maybe some other port/oil return be blocked which is eventually over whelming the breather system?
1697204574849.png

If not then I think usual suspects for high oil consumption are turbo and piston rings which are both expensive!

veno

Feb 9, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.bulforum.com
@
UPDATE:

Any ideas welcome
@CalJames do you have any update with this issue? Can you share where did you purchase the diaphragm from?

Thanks!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.