2014 1.6 TDI wont start if headlights dont adjust.

Gravy1895

Oct 11, 2020
Having issues with a 2014 1.6tdi. If when ignition is turned on and the headlights don't auto adjust, it won't start. It puts the headlight / esp/ tyre pressure warning lights on dash. If the lights do auto level, the car starts on the button. Car never logs any faults. Can anyone advise please. Many thanks

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I doubt the headlights are stopping the car from starting. If it fails to start it's probably not going on to the next thing in the cycle, which might be testing the headlights. I'd get a diagnostic done or buy a tool and do it yourself.

Reactions: Gravy1895

Gravy1895

Oct 11, 2020
I doubt the headlights are stopping the car from starting. If it fails to start it's probably not going on to the next thing in the cycle, which might be testing the headlights. I'd get a diagnostic done or buy a tool and do it yourself.
Thanks for the advice, the car has been plugged in. No logged faults at all. If the car doesn't start, the esp/tyre pressure/headlight warning lights illuminate. Turn it off an on again they dissappear. If the car starts, there is no lights on the dash and runs as it should. It's like the car does a self test on ignition and there is a sporadic fault.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It's very weird that the computer doesn't log any faults, especially when you consider the feckin useless stuff it does log! When you try to start the car, does it click or do anything at all?

Gravy1895

Oct 11, 2020
It's very weird that the computer doesn't log any faults, especially when you consider the feckin useless stuff it does log! When you try to start the car, does it click or do anything at all?
If the lights don't auto align, the car doesn't do anything, apart from present the 3 warning lights. Very strange

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
Have a look at the voltage supply relay or the ignition switch? When you say doesn't start do you mean will not crank? or turns over and not start?

Gravy1895

Oct 11, 2020
Have a look at the voltage supply relay or the ignition switch? When you say doesn't start do you mean will not crank? or turns over and not start?
It doesn't do anything mate. That's something else to check too I guess. Thanks for the reply

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Which tool was used for diagnostics?

Mine's petrol but DID start (on the multiple occasions) with that error.

Gravy1895

Oct 11, 2020
I can't confirm mate. It's been plugged in at a garage on multiple occasions. I think the only thing not checked is live data. What was your fault?

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Headlight range control error

Changed seized sensor assembly (only need a 10mm spanner) and fixed.

I can't see why it would prevent engine start & didn't for me, not even once.

Gravy1895

Oct 11, 2020
Headlight range control error

Changed seized sensor assembly (only need a 10mm spanner) and fixed.

I can't see why it would prevent engine start & didn't for me, not even once.
Maybe it's just a coincidence mate. Thanks for the help