2017 Cupra 300 without DSG farts

Sep 1, 2020
Hello there,

I am in love with the 2017 Cupra model.
The only thing i really don't like is the DSG farts it has, as they are way too loud and i don't like that sound in general. (Do like the bangs when going off throttle though)

Did anyone feel the same and had a way of only removing that DSG fart?

The 2019 model with OPF is too quiet for me in general. And too expensive aswell aside from the sound.

Any tips, ideas? :)

Greetings

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Hello there,

I am in love with the 2017 Cupra model.
The only thing i really don't like is the DSG farts it has, as they are way too loud and i don't like that sound in general. (Do like the bangs when going off throttle though)

Did anyone feel the same and had a way of only removing that DSG fart?

The 2019 model with OPF is too quiet for me in general. And too expensive aswell aside from the sound.

Any tips, ideas? :)

Greetings

You can turn it off completely with a Carista I think and then you can fit a res delete pipe which most seem to like better as it's the true sound of the car.

Sep 1, 2020
Question is if that is allowed in Germany.
But it is possilbe to get rid of the DSG farts without altering the Car sound too much?

JackB

Jan 18, 2020
I think Tara misinterpreted your concern, the DSG farts are not an artificial sound so disabling the soundaktor (which artificially increases engine noise in the cabin for Sport and Cupra mode) won't help with the DSG farts.

A res delete pipe will make the car louder and the DSG farts even more prominent so not going to help you. I imagine these are illegal in Germany (they are not road legal in the UK, but as there is little/no enforcement, its still a very popular mod).

That said, I'd still recommend disabling/reducing the soundaktor as some find the car sounds nicer with it off. I had mine off within a month of getting the car and never looked back! I can't imagine this would fall foul of any German laws as its only audible to you, and the noise/distraction is reduced with it off.

As far as I am aware there is nothing you can do to muffle the DSG fart without physically silencing the exhaust further, which will quieten the whole exhaust note, not just the DSG noise.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
As Jack said, the DSG fart is a characteristic of the DSG gearbox. It's not an engineered sound like it is in the i30 N for example.

When designing a gearbox to change gears as quickly as a DSG gearbox does, there has to be a way of cutting the power to the engine during the gear change. The DSG achieves this by cutting the spark plug ignition during the gear change, however this results in un-burnt fuel entering the exhaust where it ignites and causes the DSG fart.
If the fuel supply was cut, instead of the spark plug, there would be a lag (albeit fairly negligible, but still a lag) after each gear change whilst the engine cycle reaches a point where fuel is burning again.

Reactions: JackB
Sep 1, 2020
That said, I'd still recommend disabling/reducing the soundaktor as some find the car sounds nicer with it off. I had mine off within a month of getting the car and never looked back! I can't imagine this would fall foul of any German laws as its only audible to you, and the noise/distraction is reduced with it off.

Is that the "Sound Mod" that let's your hear all that from inside the car?
Which means it is still the same to the outside but you can't hear it that loud on the inside?

I feel like the sound is just too agressive on the cupra. On the RS3 for example i really like the DSG fart as it is not as agressive (probably due to 5zyl being pretty deep sounding)

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Is that the "Sound Mod" that let's your hear all that from inside the car?
Which means it is still the same to the outside but you can't hear it that loud on the inside?

I feel like the sound is just too agressive on the cupra. On the RS3 for example i really like the DSG fart as it is not as agressive (probably due to 5zyl being pretty deep sounding)
Not really no, ita just a pad that sits below the windscreen and vibrates against the chassis to give a fake noise

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
The sound actuator has nothing to do with genuine sound from the engine or exhaust, it's just to give a "sporty" sound inside the cabin depending on what mode you have the car in, but most agree it sounds terrible

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise