312mm Set Up

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
I have been doing some digging into upgrading to the Audi TT set up but from the info i have got it looks to me like the callipers on the FR and the TT are the same. i also have info suggesting that the later mk3 golf vr6 run the same callipers. can anyone confirm this?

part numbers for the callipers is

golf mk 3 VR6 = 3A0615123/3A0615124
Audi TT = 8N0615123/8N0615124
Seat Ibiza = 6Q0615123/6Q0615124

Now if my thoughts are correct then these are all the same just with a different suffix for the different cars. in which case to do a TT set up you should only need the new carrier, discs and hoses.

can anyone confirm this?

mattydebb123

the calipers themselves are different mate, the TT ones are larger to cover the larger disc area.

if you were to use the current calipers with new carriers on a larger disc and they did fit there would be no increase in stopping power as the area in contact with the disc itself would still be the same! ;)

so as far as i am aware, and correct me if im wrong you need:

audi TT calipers,
carriers,
312mm discs (312mm x 25mm vented)
and the correct TT pads.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
see this is what i thought. has anyone actually compared the 2? i know on the vr6 owners club they use the later vr6 calliper with the bigger disc and looking at the golf and ibiza calliper they look the same

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
also looking at the part number for the pads they are nearly the same

Golf 3a0698151A
Audi 8N0698151A
ibiza 6Q0698151C

mattydebb123

not 100% sure mate. i know the TT calipers are a different set up to the standard fr ones. they have a spring clip thingy on them whereas the fr ones dont. pretty sure the TT calipers are all together bigger, as an extra 20mm of disc wouldnt be much use without something to grap them! have a look on ebay. just search " 312mm " then theres should be some green ones up at the moment, have a look at them and compare them to your standard fr ones should point you in the right direction.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
also looking at the part number for the pads they are nearly the same

Golf 3a0698151A
Audi 8N0698151A
ibiza 6Q0698151C

I would not get caught out by the "they are nearly the same" way of thinking, as that is the way VAG's parts designation works. Variation between pads could be only friction material, anti-squeal fitted/not fitted, wear sensor fitted and which version - one wired pad or two wired pads/ plug connector or socket connector - ie almost interchangable - or they could be completely different shapes.

I do agree "a bit" with there sometimes being a benefit from fitting bigger discs and changing the calliper mounting bracket to move the same calliper and pads further out - but that only works if the standard set-up causes too much unwanted grabbing that needs the ABS to control it. There will be the odd occasion where a manufacturer, on costs alone, has reduced the different variants of callipers down a bit too far and this has happened - just look at the platforms that use the same rear callipers! Remember in standard form the supplied wheel (including spare) size will has some impact on this. My B5 Passat 4Motion has miserablly small front discs - but that will be due to some markets require that that car is supplied with 15" wheels with high profile tyres - so all the other markets suffer and that car has "bad" front brakes!

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
VR6 and late GTI 8v's have the same caliper - just need the bigger carriers from the TT's to fit to make them able to grab the bigger discs...

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
Yup - you will need both calipers and carriers - the Golf used to be 280mm and upgraded to 312mm by means of adding the carrier, whereas the Ibiza is 288mm (FR) and upgrades to 312mm but with addition of caliper and carrier.

Oh, and of course the bigger discs

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Yup - you will need both calipers and carriers - the Golf used to be 280mm and upgraded to 312mm by means of adding the carrier, whereas the Ibiza is 288mm (FR) and upgrades to 312mm but with addition of caliper and carrier.

Oh, and of course the bigger discs

dam it! thanks for the help adlav its cleared things up a bit! :)

Ad Lav

vRS...
Nov 10, 2006
Kent
DSC00324.jpg

DSCF0354.jpg

312's should look like this when done - was looking for pic of standard brakes but can't find one...

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Have a look across at www.briskoda.net (Fabia = Polo = Ibiza) as there is a lot of buying and fitting going on there and maybe a "how to" or "technical guides" on this subject with full lists of what to get and where to look for it. I think that mainly the parts come from someone that upgrades Audi TT brakes so he sells on kits of what he has removed with very low mileage.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members