1.5 brakes

Redahead74

Mar 25, 2022
Midlands
Am looking for better brakes for my 1.5 150 Leon. Checking on sites they say 288 and 312 disc size for front.
Not sure what size i have but can existing calipers and carriers take the 288 and 312 size?
Or can I increase disc size with cupra/golf r/audi s3 set up?

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Remember that ultimately stopping power is determined by the grip between the tyres & the road surface - particularly when the road is wet.

Make sure you have decent tyres with plenty of tread or the money spent on uprated brakes is wasted.

I regularly see a local mk3 Leon Cupra with enormous front discs but an unknown make of tyres on the front with close to legal limit tread depth.

Reactions: mty12345 and Mr Pig

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Bigger brakes will brake for longer not harder generally.
They might look prettyer tho.
Unless you get a different master cylinder you can only put the same energy in at the pedal.
To increase the leverage to get more force to get more braking effort you'll need more pedal travel.
Disc diameter will get more leverage but it's not much and wider pads will reduce that effect.

Grippier pads will get you some more braking, this is worth looking at.

Reactions: mty12345

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Am looking for better brakes for my 1.5 150 Leon. Checking on sites they say 288 and 312 disc size for front.
Not sure what size i have but can existing calipers and carriers take the 288 and 312 size?
Or can I increase disc size with cupra/golf r/audi s3 set up?
Usually the 150 would have the 288mm discs. Same pads as the 312 but different calipers and carriers.

What do you mean by 'better brakes'? - performance or aesthetics?
'Back in the day' - the performance car; icon Sierra Cosworth had 278mm front discs! Modern cars have very good brakes - if working correctly.

Reactions: Wilto

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Usually the 150 would have the 288mm discs. Same pads as the 312 but different calipers and carriers.

What do you mean by 'better brakes'? - performance or aesthetics?
'Back in the day' - the performance car; icon Sierra Cosworth had 278mm front discs! Modern cars have very good brakes - if working correctly.
Agreed most cars do have much better brakes than decades back however, I do wish my Leon had Sapphire Cosy pads/discs and set up, what great pedal feel with progressive response, other than a 1M I've yet to drive anything close..

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Pads and Flexi hoses will help with feel.

Grippy pads are great once you get used to it, the difference can be profound.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Agreed most cars do have much better brakes than decades back however, I do wish my Leon had Sapphire Cosy pads/discs and set up, what great pedal feel with progressive response, other than a 1M I've yet to drive anything close..
Agreed pedal feel is lacking in the majority of modern cars - way to over assisted for my liking.
My old Audi had nice pedal feel - getting in my Leon for the first time, the big negative for me was the over sensitive/servoed brakes - you do get used to it though.
OP needs to confirm what aspect of their brakes they actually want to 'improve'?

Redahead74

Mar 25, 2022
Midlands
Agreed pedal feel is lacking in the majority of modern cars - way to over assisted for my liking.
My old Audi had nice pedal feel - getting in my Leon for the first time, the big negative for me was the over sensitive/servoed brakes - you do get used to it though.
OP needs to confirm what aspect of their brakes they actually want to 'improve'?
As in actual stopping power. My missus's corsa stops way quicker. Not bothered about looks as that doesn't help the stopping. Tyres are all 4mm+ Bridgestone Turanza

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I have found my brakes work much better, less effort required, when they are new or serviced.
I think we forget that bits need lube and cleaning. Pads in particular can get glazed and benefit from replacement or deglazing.
A better pad can work wonders too.
I have new discs and pads waiting to fit and I know when I do the braking will be way better than it is now even tho I won't be tear arsing around.

Redahead74

Mar 25, 2022
Midlands
I have found my brakes work much better, less effort required, when they are new or serviced.
I think we forget that bits need lube and cleaning. Pads in particular can get glazed and benefit from replacement or deglazing.
A better pad can work wonders too.
I have new discs and pads waiting to fit and I know when I do the braking will be way better than it is now even tho I won't be tear arsing around.
What discs amd pads have you gone for?

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I got some cheap discs and brembo pads front and eicher rear.
I'd toyed with red stuff for the front but getting a set was tricky and probably unecessary.
I tend to replace discs with pads. Time tends to ruin the discs rather than wear.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Even back in the day on a non servo assisted beetle new stuff always performed well by comparison to old regardless of what was fitted.
This also held true for track use on my tuned xr2 altho hotter pads obviously were needed.
Brake lines help with pedal feel along with pads, but way to much trouble usually.

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
What discs amd pads have you gone for?
I myself have just ordered a complete front and back set up from autodoc, I went with TRW all round, with a daily discount of 43% I payed £169 all in. 4 discs front and rear pads, with the safe order option. Haven't fitted them yet, so can't can't comment on performance yet.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I think unless you are putting your brakes through some heat cycles and regularly, any discs will be fine and any pads. Good pads will be better ( by which I mean good from cold )
Most of use will only use the brakes heavily if we make a mistake and the brakes will be cold.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Thank goodness I don't have a Bentley then!
I remember Top Gear doing brake test years ago. The idea was to show that modern cars stop much quicker than the figures in the Highway Code which were based on older cars. The new cars did indeed stop quicker than the Highway Code distances. The only exception was the Range Rover...

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
All cars manufactured are required to be able to lock up the wheels when new. This means that all cars have more than adequate brakes with only the rubber being the limiting factor.
Pedal feel and effort are another thing.
Vehicle weight will mean more effort required potentially but again it's the rubber that limits the deceleration.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
As in actual stopping power. My missus's corsa stops way quicker. Not bothered about looks as that doesn't help the stopping. Tyres are all 4mm+ Bridgestone Turanza
It's difficult comparing brakes from different cars as they will have different assistance levels - meaning you might have to press the brake pedal harder for a perceived braking level. This has nothing to do with actual stopping performance/deceleration.

It could be just that the Corsa has over sensitive brakes - too much assistance?

Regulation 90 means pads friction level 'should' be in the 'ball park' + - 15% of the OE pad, so changing pads to another brand won't help - unless your current brakes are actually underperforming - glazed/dragging/seized/worn etc..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It could be just that the Corsa has over sensitive brakes - too much assistance?
It's much lighter car, it really is that simple. If you're driving a truck you need to plan your braking a week in advance. A Corsa is the other end of the scale.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise