Cupra R brake disc skimming

DrStu

May 2, 2018
Manchester
Hi all,

Just wanted to write a post regarding the brake discs on the Cupra R ST. Mine have done 25,000 miles and were due another pad change but the discs were heavily scored. Rather than shell out the ~£700 for new discs I decided to go down the disc skimming route. I used a company in Manchester called Advanced Motorcare ltd and they did a great job. Cost £200 for both front discs skimmed+£60 labour for removal and refit of calipers. Would thoroughly recommend going down this route if you are in the same situation or if it is time to change pads and you want to improve braking performance and avoid brake squeal.

Stuart

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Cheers mate, been looking for a place that offers this for mine in manchester.

A dodgy brake pad fitting by an even dodgier garage (Blackrod motors in Bolton if anyone is even thinking of having work done there, don't) I suspect has warped my front disks but I really don't want to change them as they are reasonably new.

They still stop but its a horribly unnerving vibration as they do it

DrStu

May 2, 2018
Manchester
Cheers mate, been looking for a place that offers this for mine in manchester.

A dodgy brake pad fitting by an even dodgier garage (Blackrod motors in Bolton if anyone is even thinking of having work done there, don't) I suspect has warped my front disks but I really don't want to change them as they are reasonably new.

They still stop but its a horribly unnerving vibration as they do it
No worries. It can be a bit of a mine field finding a garage you can trust.

You just have to work out if the skimming is worth it depending on the cost and fitment of new discs.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
No worries. It can be a bit of a mine field finding a garage you can trust.

You just have to work out if the skimming is worth it depending on the cost and fitment of new discs.
Yeh that's what I am trying to work out, think with mine not being the R its a lot closer in cost.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members