Rusty rear brake discs

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
This problem is normal on eHybrid and especially with 310 mm discs.
The rear breaks are not used enough and it is not possible to use them more without days downhill driving in neutral.

I believe that the uneven wear is caused by 2 springs mounted between the pads on both sides. The springs are mounted to make sure that the pads not get stocked to disc.
I have found the springs to be so hard that the brake pads only get pressed against discs closest to center. I removed springs but my discs was already to damaged for it to help.
bb83443f64188566e2537702e1ef5763.jpg
cb579b5bf33c986d18063b90a84e672d.jpg

Sendt fra min SM-G991B med Tapatalk
Hi poppo2k3,

I appreciate what you're saying but I had a 21 plate car the same (E-Hybrid 245 Cupra Leon) and I've looked round at Cupra dealerships and other than yours, I'm yet to see another with the issue. My previous car was a 300 4drive Leon st with the same pads and discs and they were perfect. This definitely isn't the norm. The fact it's a hybrid shouldn't make a difference as the fact remains that the pads are touching the discs on braking but not evenly which is the issue. Surely small braking force or big braking force, the pads should always touch the disc surface parallel keeping the whole disc face clean and rust free.

Out of interest, have you taken yours to the dealership to see what they say?

I refuse to accept this is normal.

Appreciate your input 👍

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Sorry my mistake... I just looked at the size of disc and it was also not internal ventilated. I only refer to the 245 hk version. I forgot that it also exists in a 204 hk version.

Tbh the fact that it's a hybrid regardless of bhp, shows clearly that rusty brake discs on a new/fairly new car isn't normal.

I can't believe people think it's acceptable and there's no underlying issue. 🤔

Nov 3, 2022
Hi poppo2k3,

I appreciate what you're saying but I had a 21 plate car the same (E-Hybrid 245 Cupra Leon) and I've looked round at Cupra dealerships and other than yours, I'm yet to see another with the issue. My previous car was a 300 4drive Leon st with the same pads and discs and they were perfect. This definitely isn't the norm. The fact it's a hybrid shouldn't make a difference as the fact remains that the pads are touching the discs on braking but not evenly which is the issue. Surely small braking force or big braking force, the pads should always touch the disc surface parallel keeping the whole disc face clean and rust free.

Out of interest, have you taken yours to the dealership to see what they say?

I refuse to accept this is normal.

Appreciate your input

I did take the issue with the dealer and it was already after 3 weeks ownership but they said that is lack of use of braks. Sines the car e-motor regenerate on braking. I tried everything they said to get clean my disc, but nothing helped.

I could not go through to the dealer. And sines "VW" knows it is a design issue. They will deny.
That's properly also why IDs comes with drum braks.

I have not seen any 245 eHybrid Leons and Formentors without damaged read discs. Besides new cars and replaced discs.
Some Golf 8 GTEs I seen also has problems.

The thing about the brakepad springs is my own approach to locate/solve the problem. It is not something I got from the dealer.

I wonder what approach your dealer gonna have to this issue.

Reactions: cod_ed

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
I did take the issue with the dealer and it was already after 3 weeks ownership but they said that is lack of use of braks. Sines the car e-motor regenerate on braking. I tried everything they said to get clean my disc, but nothing helped.

I could not go through to the dealer. And sines "VW" knows it is a design issue. They will deny.
That's properly also why IDs comes with drum braks.

I have not seen any 245 eHybrid Leons and Formentors without damaged read discs. Besides new cars and replaced discs.
Some Golf 8 GTEs I seen also has problems.

The thing about the brakepad springs is my own approach to locate/solve the problem. It is not something I got from the dealer.

I wonder what approach your dealer gonna have to this issue.

My car is with the dealership now, I'll see what they say when I get an update tomorrow!

Reactions: poppo2K3

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
IMG_0188.jpeg
These are the rear discs on my Honda, the pads were not seated correctly in the caliper/sliders and so not applying evenly on the disc,as I suggested above I had to remove the pads and turn the pistons so the locating pins where in the right position to hold the pads parallel to the discs, this is now becoming normal wear pattern.
30 years working as an engineer in the mining industry and the 20 in the motor trade I know a little about brakes, some set ups more than 4metres in diameter, or ignore me, no skin off my nose.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Seastormer

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
View attachment 38682 These are the rear discs on my Honda, the pads were not seated correctly in the caliper/sliders and so not applying evenly on the disc,as I suggested above I had to remove the pads and turn the pistons so the locating pins where in the right position to hold the pads parallel to the discs, this is now becoming normal wear pattern.
30 years working as an engineer in the mining industry and the 20 in the motor trade I know a little about brakes, some set ups more than 4metres in diameter, or ignore me, no skin off my nose.
Thanks for your reply, not sure what the last bit means.

Had an update from Cupra dealership today, they've replaced the rear pads. I'll find out more tomorrow when I pick up the car.

Reactions: poppo2K3

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Just a quick update for anyone following this thread.

Got the car back from Cupra this morning, they've replaced the rear brake pads. Apparently Cupra have changed the composition of the pads this year and this will solve the issue.

One other thing worth noting is that the front pads were greased from the factory but the rear pads were bone dry (the contact surfaces where the pads sit in the calipers). When they've
20231014_125850.jpg
20231014_125859.jpg
replaced the pads they have greased them.

I've just driven home around an hour and the discs are looking almost new again!

Seems to have worked a treat.

Mar 24, 2024
Hi
I have a 23 Formentor VZ2, just under 6k on the clock and not only do I have only 25% cleaning effect of the pads, but the rotors are now badly scored!
The dealer tried to tell me that is because (1) they use chamfered pads, and (2) it's a PHEV.
Does anyone know what the expected life of the rear rotors is? If I have to look at replacing them every 10k, then the car and I will soon part company!

the wheels are dirty as the photos were taken after a longish run.
20240311_112250.jpg
20240311_112311.jpg

Oct 5, 2022
Just a quick update for anyone following this thread.

Got the car back from Cupra this morning, they've replaced the rear brake pads. Apparently Cupra have changed the composition of the pads this year and this will solve the issue.

One other thing worth noting is that the front pads were greased from the factory but the rear pads were bone dry (the contact surfaces where the pads sit in the calipers). When they've View attachment 38687 View attachment 38688 replaced the pads they have greased them.

I've just driven home around an hour and the discs are looking almost new again!

Seems to have worked a treat.
Did they charge you for the pads? Any idea if the new pads they are using is an admission that the previous ones were no good? Mine is due a service and it’s first MOT and wondering if I can argue them to do this on mine??

The back discs have always looked rusty and recently I had a bad lock on after the car was left for a week and the knocking noise. That went after a long drive out with breaking but it’s a pretty poor show how easily the rear discs rust up on these.

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Did they charge you for the pads? Any idea if the new pads they are using is an admission that the previous ones were no good? Mine is due a service and it’s first MOT and wondering if I can argue them to do this on mine??

The back discs have always looked rusty and recently I had a bad lock on after the car was left for a week and the knocking noise. That went after a long drive out with breaking but it’s a pretty poor show how easily the rear discs rust up on these.
Hi, I highly doubt they'll do anything warranty wise as your car is over 6 months old. This is their statement regarding 'wear and tear items' and the warranty for these items: "After six months, wear and tear items will not be accepted unless a manufacturing defect can be identified by a CUPRA Retailer as the cause. Aesthetic defects, e.g., scratches, marks, must be notified to a CUPRA Retailer within the first 30 days/600 miles." The full information can be found here: https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/owners/electric-vehicle-batteries-warranty-terms-conditions.

I didn't pay for mine and they were replaced under warranty but I believe what actually made the difference is the fact they greased the pad carriers which were bone dry out the factory but the fronts were greased from the factory. Wether they changed the pads or not I will never really know but whatever they did worked.

Reactions: Alan77

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
1000035409.jpg

These is how my rear discs both look at just over 5k miles now and 8 months on from being sorted. They are as I would expect them to be 🙂

Completely agree that they way the back brakes on these cars rust up is very poor.

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
Many thanks for replying!
No worries! Good luck getting sorted.
If it's an option, I would take your pads out and clean/grease and see if that makes a difference. You would need to clean the discs once you've done this though by doing a few high speed emergency stops with gearbox in neutral and regen braking set to lowest setting. 👍

cod_ed

May 23, 2017
UK
what is the composition of this new brake pads and what is the size and mm?
I have no way of knowing that information. Like I said, they maybe didn't even change the the pads, just lubed the carriers?!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members