Accident damage whilst on PCH

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Just thought I'd share a recent experience in case it helps anyone in the future.

At the end of September I was involved in a non fault accident which caused a substantial amount of damage to my vehicle. The damage the vehicle sustained resulted in
3 airbags being deployed
Seat belt pretensioners going

As well as damage to

Front bumper
Bonnet
Driver's side wing and suspension

I used the included seat ensurance and they recovered the vehicle took it to an approved bodyshop at my dealer and sorted out a courtesy vehicle.

The courtesy vehicle was supposed to be like for like. I initially got a Merc GLE350 for a few days until they had an S3 available

I'm currently still in the S3.:funk:

I worked out the value of my leased vehicle and asked the insurance company to authorize for the car to be fixed. This was based on my calculations being that the cost of the damage sustained was under the threshold for write off.

My main worry was that the lease vehicle was due to be returned in November as that was the end of my 24 month deal. I had placed a new order but was told there was a big delay on builds so I would need to remain in my current lease until it was delivered.

If they had written it off VWFS would have received the payout and I would be without a vehicle.

What I've learned

- Gap is a must ( I was lucky that the accident happened at the end of my contract , and my milage was low)

- Seat ensurance is really well worth using and hassle free. They work with the repairer and the insurance company on your behalf.

-Dash cam is a must. ( I was lucky to have been injury free. I was able to get out and take loads of photos of the scene to prove my innocence)

As long as the repairs are carried out by an approved bodyshop VWFS will accept the car without any additional penalties to you.
You have to provide the invoice/receipt from the bodyshop so that they can raise any issues with them.

Last edited:

Lighters

Nov 26, 2016
GAP insurance is something I'm considering but haven't taken out yet...
Almost 1 year into my Cupra 290 2 year lease.
I paid £2400 upfront and £162pm
I understand if theres an accident within the 1st year insurance payout as if it was a new car.

I'm thinking I should potentially take GAP insurance out for my 2nd year and that would protect any shortfall if the var was undervalued?
Feel free to add opinions on this.

robot1000

Oct 2, 2017
I understand if theres an accident within the 1st year insurance payout as if it was a new car.

I'm thinking I should potentially take GAP insurance out for my 2nd year and that would protect any shortfall if the var was undervalued?

Wouldn't gap insurance also cover lease payments, as you still have those commitments whether or not insurance pays out the full value of car?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

I would certainly look into it. When I get my 300 next year I am going to get it from the start of the contract.

This time I was lucky as officially I only had 2 months left of the lease.
I checked Parkers and got a valuation report for my Cupra and it was between 18 - 19k. This was based on age, mileage and dealership sale.

If I added up my deposit and lease payments the whole total came just under the OTR price.

If the worst happens and it is to be written off the finance company take over the negotiations with the insurance company so it is out of your hands.

So if there is a shortfall you would be responsible.

Although I calculated that I would be ok, if I wasn't at the end of my lease it could have been costly.

I was expecting the Cupra back next week, but have since been told it's nowhere near ready.

I'm getting used to this Audi S3 mind . I can see where Seat saved money.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Wouldn't gap insurance also cover lease payments, as you still have those commitments whether or not insurance pays out the full value of car?

I was told that once it's a write off the PCH contract is ended and it's treated as though you're purchasing the car. So the payout has to cover the value of the car.

robot1000

Oct 2, 2017
I was told that once it's a write off the PCH contract is ended and it's treated as though you're purchasing the car. So the payout has to cover the value of the car.

I would understand that if it was PCP, but with PCH option, that wouldn't be available

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I would understand that if it was PCP, but with PCH option, that wouldn't be available

Ok put it this way..

Seat finance said that they would seek the market value of the car from the insurance company.

I would potentially owe them the outstanding rentals.

Depending on how much the insurer paid as they base it on the market value at the time, there may be other costs too.

That's why I was in a reasonable position as I was under mileage and had 1 rental outstanding.

If I was only 12 months in I could have been in a very different position financially without GAP.

The GAP insurance should pay the shortfall.

Incidentally my insurance company had a threshold of 65% i.e if the damage estimate was 65% + of the cars current market value it was going to be written off.

Let's just say it was a close call.

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
Thanks for that info it is helpful. I am waiting delivery on my first ever PCH and have been looking into GAP. Would you recommend going with VWF or with a 3rd party?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Thanks for that info it is helpful. I am waiting delivery on my first ever PCH and have been looking into GAP. Would you recommend going with VWF or with a 3rd party?

When I asked my local seat dealer they said that they personally weren't able to offer it on my new PCH.

The sales guy advised that I go 3rd party. I'd certainly have a look around for some good deals as imagine that the dealer prices may be a little higher without some barter.

It seems that not all the dealerships are up to date with their knowledge on what SEAT are offering at the moment.

I've had to direct two dealerships to the latest brochure to confirm the new standard features of the Leon Cupra. I.e digital dash and illuminated sills.

Each dealership was working from June/July's brochure.

Jib

May 22, 2007
Doncaster, South Yorks
When I asked my local seat dealer they said that they personally weren't able to offer it on my new PCH.

The sales guy advised that I go 3rd party. I'd certainly have a look around for some good deals as imagine that the dealer prices may be a little higher without some barter.

It seems that not all the dealerships are up to date with their knowledge on what SEAT are offering at the moment.

I've had to direct two dealerships to the latest brochure to confirm the new standard features of the Leon Cupra. I.e digital dash and illuminated sills.

Each dealership was working from June/July's brochure.

My dealer have said that VWF will phone me directly to discuss GAP after I have collected the car which seemed alot odd to me. I think there is some legislation that stops them trying to sell GAP to you before the car has arrived or something along those lines.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
My dealer have said that VWF will phone me directly to discuss GAP after I have collected the car which seemed alot odd to me. I think there is some legislation that stops them trying to sell GAP to you before the car has arrived or something along those lines.

Thanks for the update mate.

I've got to wait until April next year before I get close to collecting my car, so I'll be investigating closer to the time.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
The legislation is they must make you aware there are other providers of gap. Use them, they are many times cheaper.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The legislation is they must make you aware there are other providers of gap. Use them, they are many times cheaper.

+1 for this. I took out one on previous 280, when it was changed with time left remaining they transferred that onto new 290.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise