Active headrests... ?

spagley

Hi,

Can anyone help ?

Have an issue with a 55 plate 2.0 TDI sport.

Drivers headrest flaps back and forward significantly more than the passenger one.

Has been into dealer, and has improved a little bit, (Previously was 'rattly', and now doesn't actually make a noise when you move it), but drivers side still has lots more movement than the passenger.

Were active headrests fitted?

If so, only to the drivers seat?

Anyone know exactly what it does/comprises of?

Would the spanner monkey at the dealer not have had to see the 'active' gubbins while working in the seat anyway?

Dealer seems to think it 'may' have an active headrest...

Go on, rattle yer headrests for me :D

Thanks !

Ian

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
'Active headrests' is a bit of a fancy name for what is essentially a simple idea!

Basically, in the event of a rear end collision, your body is thrown back into the seat. There's a mechanism built into the seat back that causes the headrest to tilt forward when this happens to catch your head and hopefully prevent whiplash injuries. It's a fully mechanical system - there are no electronics involved.

I don't know if the Leon has these fitted - I know the A3 does, so it's a good bet they will.

If you push yourself hard back into the seat, you should be able to see the headrest start to pivot if you have the system.

spagley

OK, so 'active headrest' = simple 'hinge-tech' :D

Your body weight pressing into the seat back pivots the top of the headrest forwards?

You have to love simple innovation when it's coupled with unnecessary marketing speak!!

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Umm will have to give that one a try

If you press back into the seat rather than 'hit' back into it, you can see the headrest moving quite clearly - it sort of comes out of the seat - the silver bars with the grey plastic stops all as one

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.