Aftermarket H/U..

Foxy

200bhp **** member no. 1
Oct 25, 2003
Daventry
www.pug306.net
And the radio is totally ****! Picks up next to nothing.

H/U is Alpine 9831r

Anyone got any ideas as to why? The OE stereo is spot on radio wise.

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
The Gates of Hell (Croydon)
When I got my H/U installed, the guy doing it said that it needs an frequency booster of some description. Apparently the OE one has this in it already, but most aftermarket H/Us need a separate one.

Not sure how true this is, or whether it was just his way of squeezing a few extra quid out of me... but saying that, the radio reception on mine is fine, and it's also an Alpine (although I'm not sure the exact model).

skidder

BERK! FEED ME
Aug 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Ive got an Alpine 9853r and sound from it is much better compared to the standard H/U and it was pretty good to start with. I put in a ariel amplifier/booster thingy between the head unit and the ariel cable. Give's a great reception and worth it in my opinion.

:bounce:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Ive got an Alpine 9853r and sound from it is much better compared to the standard H/U and it was pretty good to start with. I put in a ariel amplifier/booster thingy between the head unit and the ariel cable. Give's a great reception and worth it in my opinion.

:bounce:

Same here, was well worth the money as even with the shorter Honda aerial, the reception is spot on!

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
The 12v Aerial booster is a sure-fire way of increasing attenuation. It's well documented to have great results across the board. Halfords sell them if you want to get something sorted without the wait of ordering online.

Very easy to install, also. While you're behind the Alpine. Check to make sure the aerial connector hasn't just popped off. Not unheard of.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Very easy to install, also. While you're behind the Alpine. Check to make sure the aerial connector hasn't just popped off. Not unheard of.

Good advice. The aerials need to 'click' nicely into place in the adaptors to ensure they don't come out.

Foxy

200bhp **** member no. 1
Oct 25, 2003
Daventry
www.pug306.net
Cheers lads.
Also, on this subject does anyone know if any standard sized 6 disc changer will fit in place of the standard one in the glove box?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
They all vary in size. Best thing to do is check out the manufacturer or the suppliers website to find the dimensions.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Sony makes 2 or 3 slim-line CD changers that'd fit the gap. THey'd even leave space for one or two CDs to sit underneath.

I;ve tried to think hard.. but I just cannot remember their model name. Sorry.. :<

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
cdx-t69a.jpg

And I just found it. The CDX-T69. This is a 6-disc changer. Pretty slim. I'd say 2.5 inches tall, or so.

Last edited:

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
The Gates of Hell (Croydon)
I have the Alpine CHA-S634 changer in my glovebox. It fits in the slot left by the OE one, albeit with a little modification (had to remove some of the plastic from the bottom edge of the slot to get it to fit nicely).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.