Anyone else on here using Millers XFE-PD oil

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Bar Chris of course!

I've just ordered some for the next service following Chris' analysis some months ago. Yes I did look at the results critically but that's how it should be. That said the results did look good.

Just wondering if anyone else uses the stuff that's all.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I used to, but recently after finding my local Millers stockist was putting up prices (£33 for 5 litres!) I switched to Quantum Platinum from TPS (at £18) which is also 505.01 spec, and often what the dealers themselves use.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've been using XFE-PD for ages...got stacks of old cans full of old oil that I never get round to disposing of!

Except for the previous service, when I bought some Quantum 505.01 stuff while I was in the VW dealer and noticed it was actually very well priced.
However, I'm convinced the car has used more oil while on the Quantum, so when I serviced it again at the weekend I switched back to XFE-PD. Will wait and see if consumption changes, or whether it's just because this engine is starting to use a bit anyway....

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Let me know how you get on. What have you been using previously?

Sorry I don't know what was being used at the last service - just VAG spec from the wholesaler - Carlube or something cheap I reckon - not Castrol.

Previous three services were with SEAT.

The car does not appear to use oil either, I've never needed to top up in nearly five years.

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Sorry I don't know what was being used at the last service - just VAG spec from the wholesaler - Carlube or something cheap I reckon - not Castrol.

Previous three services were with SEAT.

The car does not appear to use oil either, I've never needed to top up in nearly five years.

Hope it wasnt carlube! I'm testing about 10 different carlube products at the mo and they are poor. Infact, most of the 5w/40's are actualy 5w/30's.

strugers1

hmmm this is interesting i use carlube pd oil and seems ok but my next change i think ill go millars..
seems the way forward

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
hmmm this is interesting i use carlube pd oil and seems ok but my next change i think ill go millars..
seems the way forward

Is it the 'Triple R' carlube you are using?

From the top of my head it failed to meet ACEA A3, B3, B4 because it didnt meet my NOACK (evaporation loss) tests. I'll dig out my results tomorrow, I think viscosity at 100C was fine, additve levels were good and cold crank simulation passed.

Not sure if they are using ACEA base oils, I know plenty of companies out there are using non ACEA base oils and claiming ACEA approvals. tut tut!!!!

Last edited:

strugers1

i believe so mate.. going to give me bad news about it lol??
fully synthetic triple r pd oil

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
This is all interesting stuff....

Chris, why are you testing Carlube oils, is it to compare with the competition, or are customers paying you to test samples for them ?

Would be interesting to see how the OE/Quantum oils performed :)

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
This is all interesting stuff....

Chris, why are you testing Carlube oils, is it to compare with the competition, or are customers paying you to test samples for them ?

Would be interesting to see how the OE/Quantum oils performed :)

We are testing our competitors oils to see how we compare against their products. I'm not entirely sure who actualy does the blending for Quantum oils - if you have a bottle of the stuff hane a look on the back in the small print for any kind of reference to another oil company.

Quantum is not a oil blending company, it is a product made by someone else rebranded as 'Quantum'. Just like a certain product that opie oils sells that is made by Millers but rebranded as someone else's. ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.