astra convertable turbo

janowski1980

Platinum Grey
Dec 18, 2006
Hampshire
this guy pulled up along side my outside tesco, im pretty sure it was the 190bhp ish version. He got a good start on me, but by the time we hit 70 i flew past him, and it was very wet too. Was still gutted he beat me off the start. Anyone with any suggestions. What revs should i be doing before i release the clutch. cheers. He was gutted when i passed hi though . LOL . I drive LC 180, revo and pipercross induction.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Hmm strange question :S Don't your ears tell you when its a good time to kick it up a groove?

I wonder, what BHP is the 888 Astra Coupe? I think they're tastey.. which for me, is saying a lot. Damn Vauxhall.

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
:flag: isnt liked on here pal, especially in the wet conditionsoutside of a Tesco as you have described

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Thats the universal symble for motorsport or, more specifically, racing. Chequered flag.

He's saying we don't like racing.

Nov 28, 2006
It's OK to talk about car with more bhp etc. but racing is frowned on around these parts. We'd just end up with loads of LC/LCR vs XXX threads all the time.

As for getting off the line rapidly it's not that easy in any FWD car but even worse with a turbo. You have to pretty brutal and rev it well over 2500-3000 and side step the clutch. Even then you have to watch for wheel spin.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
although everybody probably does it at one point or another a public forum isn't the place to talk about it........... you never know who is reading it!

Nov 28, 2006
A mate had the Astra Coupe with the 2.2 litre non-turbo engine and that wasn't exactly fast but it could get away from standstill pretty well.

TallFella

Hello Tom, come down Tom
Nov 6, 2003
Bedfordshiria
Visit site
Some mung bean in a standard 1.8 Astra overtook me in a 40 earlier today, then proceeded at the same speed through a 30, and then in the 60 on a country lane overtook a DHL van on a blind bend going down hill. He then flew through the village (30) with the DHL van trying to catch him!

Muppets!

janowski1980

Platinum Grey
Dec 18, 2006
Hampshire
ill second thAT John, ever come across a company called SPEEDY, by name and nature, as i lost three points trying to overtake him on the M3, he wouldnt let me past, next thing blues and two's up my backside.

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
If your after good starts uprate your dog bone mount i did this and starts are much better and less judder when trying to floor it!! but if your spinning come off of the power and try again bit more gently!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Mate at work had one of these (before he switched to a leon fr!) - he had it at stage 4 or 5 with the VXR turbo etc. Was pulling over 300 bhp with 300 torques or something insane. He only got rid due to the shocking MPG it was giving him.

Very quick though - he'd have had my standard LCR very easily.

Platinum_mike

Its just under 200bhp, think its 197bhp but not sure, only 100 of them were made and a few have been written off.

I think it has the same 2 ltr turbo as in the VX, the Z20LET engine I believe.

They are 197 bhp standard, but there are a number of mods that can be done for not too much cash to push it towards 240 bhp so it may well have had some work done. Having said that it's far more expensive to mod than a £500 revo map giving +40 bhp on an LCR!

push110

I think it has the same 2 ltr turbo as in the VX, the Z20LET engine I believe.

They are 197 bhp standard, but there are a number of mods that can be done for not too much cash to push it towards 240 bhp so it may well have had some work done. Having said that it's far more expensive to mod than a £500 revo map giving +40 bhp on an LCR!

Yeah, the Z20LET 2litre 16v is the engine used in the coupe turbo and the gsi, regal or courtenay will charge you £400-£500 for a phase 1 upgrade giving around 240bhp. it is more expensive to mod than the LCR, u'd be looking at the best part of 2k to get around 270bhp, the vxr turbo also seems to be a popular mod now

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.