Auto Hold coming off

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
Has anyone had auto hold not hold them?

Several times in traffic I’ve found myself rolling after it’s come on and I’ve gone into neutral.

The first time I was on a hill at traffic lights and it was on, then seconds later there was a grinding squeaking noise and I started rolling backwards.

A couple of times later and I’ve started double checking it’s on as I’m starting to doubt myself! Today I was on a slight gradient and it came on, I went into neutral and the engine went off, auto hold still on. I’m sat singing along to the radio, looking ahead at the lights, feet off the pedals, and I’m suddenly rolling back.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Do you manually switch your car to neutral? I never do that, I doubt you need to do this, the car is smart enough. If there was a benefit in going to neutral the computer in the DSG would do that (or maybe it does that).

What might be happening is you did not press the brake pedal hard enough for auto hold to engage. It does not engage on minimal pressure, you need to exert a little bit more.

It's possible that combination of manually switching to neutral plus autostop disengages the autohold. Please try just to stay in gear and press the brake a little harder after you stop.

Reactions: PhilG

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
I personally have never put it in neutral when stationary at traffic lights. I just brake till Auto hold engages. I found this on another forum though asking the same question.
Great find, so it is working as designed.

Btw my friend who drove an older automatic car did the same thing, we would stop at a red light and he would switch my Formentor to Neutral. I asked him why and he said he always did it on his older car. Maybe it is something that used to be helpful but I do not think modern DSG needs you to manually switch to Neutral.

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
I have a manual not DSG so I have to go into Neutral for the engine to enter eco and shut off temporarily.

Auto-hold is engaging as each time the car remains stationary and the auto hold is illuminated. It subsequently seems to disengage and roll without any input from me. I have other instances of auto hold in use while in neutral without issue so I don’t think it’s this.

st4niu

Dec 22, 2022
I have a manual not DSG so I have to go into Neutral for the engine to enter eco and shut off temporarily.

Auto-hold is engaging as each time the car remains stationary and the auto hold is illuminated. It subsequently seems to disengage and roll without any input from me. I have other instances of auto hold in use while in neutral without issue so I don’t think it’s this.
According to the manual the engine have to be running for auto hold to work. So I'm not exactly sure because I have DSG and also I always disable start-stop system so the auto hold is working as intended. Perhaps "other instances" you mentioned occured when the engine didn't shut down coz of start-stop?

Attachments

• aaa.png
    aaa.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 90

Scriminjer

Oct 13, 2022
The engine is, as I understand, technically still classed as ‘running’ for stop/start. I’ve just driven around to try and it definitely auto-holds with the stop/start on. I sat in traffic with the engine off and auto hold engaged.

I’ve tried hammering the clutch and accelerator while in neutral to see if anything happens but the engine stays off until I engage a gear and lift the clutch at which point auto hold turns off.

I also lightly applied the brake and went into neutral on a hill and it held with the auto hold.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
On my 2018 Leon FR 1.4TSi DSG the AutoHold holds the car even if the Stop/Start has stopped the engine.

According to A VAG publication the 7-speed dry clutch DSG disengages the clutches when the vehicle is stationary.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.