back popping and wierd smell

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
All of a sudden ive noticed my car seems to back pop

I know for most this is normal, but its never really done it often in the 7 months ive had the car

But last few weeks its done it all the time, mainly when i let off and when coming to a stop etc

Its just a catback system too

Also with this i have a strange smell every time i drive it, almost like the smell of eggs

Reminds me of the smell i got when i blew a boost pipe off the intercooler

Car boosts fine and pulls as normal

Anything to worry about?

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
Did think that but KwikFit told me the smell from the cat would only suggest its quite new and not old or knackered

EvilKinevil

Mar 24, 2004
Scotland
Did think that but KwikFit told me the smell from the cat would only suggest its quite new and not old or knackered

forgive me but thats what you get for going to kwickfit. :lol:

take it for a long decent drive and blow the cobwebs outta it

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
Ah ok lol

It only went to KwikFit as my friend works there but obviously they are wrong as always

Yer it is still standard cat
I will be getting down pipe and race cat soon anyway so a knackered cat isnt a problem :)

Passed the emissions test last month though at mot

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
No not really. What mods and map are you running at the moment? If you have stage1 software and things like, forge tip, fmic, turbo back exhaust then go to stage 2. But the car will run fine. Stage 2 usually just helps you maximise your current mods and gets the most out of them.

Apr 15, 2009
Midlands
I have all the bits like FMIC etc have everything except for a forge tip and its only running a 'mild map' at the minute, peaks at 14psi

although it produced 186.6@ fly with 227Ibs with this setup

i would eventually go stage 2 as my aim is k03s after christmas but i may have to fit the cat before the turbo and mapping etc as i dont want my car to run bad with the current cat

cupramillo

The "Red Baron"
Feb 24, 2008
South London
how long have you had a blueflame exhaust for? im considering getting one for my mk4 but ive heard the cats break down after a while is that true or not?
i did want a miltek but i cant resist the 15% off blueflame exhausts that monster motorsport are doing at the moment.

Had mine almost 2years and its been fine(touches wood and expects it to breakdown now). Excellent exhaust, great price, sounds great and has a nice oval tailpipe. Cant say i have heard of the cats going.

Only negative is that it can drone abit on motorway runs of you stay on boost, but who drives on boost on the motorway anyway? Plus at the end of the day its a full sports exhaust system so it should sound deep and raspy!

Had mine almost 2years and its been fine(touches wood and expects it to breakdown now). Excellent exhaust, great price, sounds great and has a nice oval tailpipe. Cant say i have heard of the cats going.

Only negative is that it can drone abit on motorway runs of you stay on boost, but who drives on boost on the motorway anyway? Plus at the end of the day its a full sports exhaust system so it should sound deep and raspy!

nice one cheers for that,has yours got the resonated centre section?
the other thing thats swinging me towards the blueflame exhaust is there aftersales care is excellent my old man has a blueflame exhaust on his bike and he lost a baffle which they replaced for free.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members