Launch Control attempt - strange smell?

Mayberley

Jan 23, 2021
UK
I’ve got a 2020 Mk4 etsi DSG 1.5 FR first edition Leon.

Done about 22k miles, love the car (despite some niggles including needing to replace the 48v battery, but that’s another issue!) and was reading in the manual about launch control.

I’d never tried it before so on a private stretch of straight road, thought I’d try it today and followed the steps - TCS off, sport mode, press and hold brake, press accelerator, release brake.

Not sure if it worked properly or not, but the engine revved, then dropped then I released the brake and away we go.

Question I have though is what was the strange smell I got in the car before even moving off - have I damaged the clutch in some way?

The smell went after a minute or so and I tried again and got the same result - I won’t be trying again given the smell!

Also, not been able to find a straight answer on what DSG gearbox is in this model, is it the DQ381 or something else?

It’s now out of warranty and I plan on keeping it for at least 1 or 2 more years, so just keen to hear how reliable these gearboxes are.

Thanks in advance.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Pretty sure it's the DQ200 on these (I have the same one but 2021). The only one with a dry clutch so I'd be leary of using launch control on it. I've tried to get confirmation on exactly what model they put in these (ie does it need to be serviced) but never got an answer from anyone.

Reactions: Mayberley

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Pretty sure it's the DQ200 on these (I have the same one but 2021). The only one with a dry clutch so I'd be leary of using launch control on it. I've tried to get confirmation on exactly what model they put in these (ie does it need to be serviced) but never got an answer from anyone.

Yes, it’s probably the DQ200 in a 1.5 Leon. VAG have tended put wet clutch DSG‘s in the high(er) performance / higher torque models and dry clutch DSG‘s in lower powered cars.

My VW has the older 6 speed DQ250 wet clutch DSG (car’s a 2020 2.0 litre 200ps / 197bhp Polo GTI+) and in just over three years of ownership I’ve never been tempted to try launch control, even though the wet clutch DSG should be able to withstand it. Each to their own, but I don’t really see the point in launch control; fine for a quick getaway at the traffic light Grand Prix for owners who are into that sort of thing, but not for me as I like to treat my car with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy.

Mayberley

Jan 23, 2021
UK
Thanks and yes, I agree pretty pointless for normal use - I only tried it out of curiosity but won’t be trying again!

One other thing I thought could be the cause of the smell might be the brakes - would holding the brakes like this cause them to heat up and smell even if the wheels were not moving / slowing?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks and yes, I agree pretty pointless for normal use - I only tried it out of curiosity but won’t be trying again!

One other thing I thought could be the cause of the smell might be the brakes - would holding the brakes like this cause them to heat up and smell even if the wheels were not moving / slowing?
I doubt the smell would be the brakes - for there to be a (burning) smell from the brakes, the brakes would either need to be binding or there’d need to be heat build up between the pads and discs through prolonged or excessive braking when the car’s moving.

Mayberley

Jan 23, 2021
UK
Ok so the smell would be the clutch then despite it starting before the car started moving or changed gear?

As you can tell, I’m no expert when it comes to mechanical technicalities of cars!

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I’ve got a 2020 Mk4 etsi DSG 1.5 FR first edition Leon.

Done about 22k miles, love the car (despite some niggles including needing to replace the 48v battery, but that’s another issue!) and was reading in the manual about launch control.

I’d never tried it before so on a private stretch of straight road, thought I’d try it today and followed the steps - TCS off, sport mode, press and hold brake, press accelerator, release brake.

Not sure if it worked properly or not, but the engine revved, then dropped then I released the brake and away we go.

Question I have though is what was the strange smell I got in the car before even moving off - have I damaged the clutch in some way?

The smell went after a minute or so and I tried again and got the same result - I won’t be trying again given the smell!

Also, not been able to find a straight answer on what DSG gearbox is in this model, is it the DQ381 or something else?

It’s now out of warranty and I plan on keeping it for at least 1 or 2 more years, so just keen to hear how reliable these gearboxes are.

Thanks in advance.
I would start saving for a new clutch ! I bet you have taken thousands of miles of the plates

witek_77

Jul 11, 2023
PL
all front-drive 1.5 eTSI engines in Leon have DQ200 gearboxes. these gearboxes have dry clutches and when you tried to do the starting procedure, you simply burned your clutch. this smell was the smell of a burning clutch disc. Do not do that again. unless you have unnecessary money to renovate the box. our gearboxes are nothing more than a regular manual gearbox, only it has 2 clutches, 2 shafts and mechatronics that changes gears instead of you. on one shaft you have gears 1,3,5,7 and on the other 2,4,6. this is a very simple gearbox. it is good and cheap to repair. the only drawback is that the clutch wears out just like in a manual one and needs to be replaced when it wears out. some people do starting procedures and replace them after 40k km 😉 some people drive calmly and will do over 200k km.

Reactions: Mayberley

Mayberley

Jan 23, 2021
UK
all front-drive 1.5 eTSI engines in Leon have DQ200 gearboxes. these gearboxes have dry clutches and when you tried to do the starting procedure, you simply burned your clutch. this smell was the smell of a burning clutch disc. Do not do that again. unless you have unnecessary money to renovate the box. our gearboxes are nothing more than a regular manual gearbox, only it has 2 clutches, 2 shafts and mechatronics that changes gears instead of you. on one shaft you have gears 1,3,5,7 and on the other 2,4,6. this is a very simple gearbox. it is good and cheap to repair. the only drawback is that the clutch wears out just like in a manual one and needs to be replaced when it wears out. some people do starting procedures and replace them after 40k km 😉 some people drive calmly and will do over 200k km.
Makes sense - I’m a sensible driver and won’t be repeating the experiment 😂

The car had done a few thousand miles when I purchased it so I guess there is no way of knowing how it was treated before - I’ve had it serviced at seat garages regularly though and have only 22k on the clock so hoping for a fair bit more use before trading in

Reactions: nwithyman
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise