Leon PHEV - front wheels skidding

izometric

Feb 19, 2021
Hi Guys, remember this thread? https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/th...id-front-wheels-skidding.467509/#post-4989900

That Leon was totaled (highway accident, several cars involved during a heavy rainfall), I just got my new Opel Astra Sports Tourer PHEV. French car, disguised as a German (made in Germany in all fairness).

Same acceleration on paper as the Leon Sports Tourer: 7.7 Seconds to 100kmph.

In practice, this car launches like an F22 from an aircraft carrier. ZERO wheels skidding. Also, no indicator that the traction control kicks in (The Leon dashboard would light like a Christmas tree)

Tried it on wet asphalt, summer tires, at 10 degrees Celsius, doing 3-4 different launches from standing still, in all modes (Electric, hybrid, sport). In these conditions the Leon would turn the wheels for a good 3 seconds before taking off.

Just for info.

All the best, over and out.

Last edited:
Reactions: C_ED_99
Jun 20, 2023
The amount of torque going through the front wheels with the EV motor and engine together does tend to make it a bit spinny, this is worse in the wet too. Traction control isn’t great at controlling this either.

izometric

Feb 19, 2021
Astra has more torque -> 360Nm combined (Leon 350Nm combined).

Both Astra and Leon ICE power is 110 kW (both 250 Nm)
Astra Electric motor delivers 81.2 kW (320Nm)
Leon Electric motor delivers 85 kW (400Nm)

Leon ST accelerates in 7.6 sec/100
Astra ST accelerates in 7.7 sec/100

On paper Leon is slightly stronger, right? My driving experience says the opposite. Because the Astra does not spin the wheels when launching from standstill, it feels a lot quicker than the Leon.

Last edited:

Richiepoos

Oct 14, 2022
Astra has more torque -> 360Nm combined (Leon 350Nm combined).

Both Astra and Leon ICE power is 110 kW (both 250 Nm)
Astra Electric motor delivers 81.2 kW (320Nm)
Leon Electric motor delivers 85 kW (400Nm)

Leon ST accelerates in 7.6 sec/100
Astra ST accelerates in 7.7 sec/100

On paper Leon is slightly stronger, right? My driving experience says the opposite. Because the Astra does not spin the wheels when launching from standstill, it feels a lot quicker than the Leon.
Sorry, I thought you were comparing to the 245hp Hybrid