Bang and rattle from rear

RileyFR

Jul 14, 2022
South West
Coming up to owning my Leon a week tomorrow, and had a little niggle after a couple of days hearing a banging rattle noise coming from the boot area.

Had a good read of some of the threads on here but couldnt quite pinpoint it.

Turns out the exhaust heatshield clips had rotted away, quick and easy fix with some new ones and the noise has gone. Thought I would share as hadnt found this root cause in any of the other threads, and I was certain at first it was something rattling in the bootlid as you could hear it when closing the boot.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes a common issue with most cars that have aluminium/aluminised heatshields held on with steel retainers, the aluminium is sacrificed and turns to white dust - and the heatshields start to fall down over the now "too big" hole the steel retainer fits over. One easy fix is to save used tinned food tins and cut them up into oversized round(ish) repair washers and make a small hole in the centre so that they can fit over the threaded or grooved stud that the retainer fits over. I tend to always have a stock of 6 to 10 new retainers as well so that I can stop this sort of thing before it starts.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.