Battery

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Track toy is correct. Also the error codes thrown up as the battery was failing won't be cleared.

It would appear that the place I bought my replacement battery from isn't prepared to bear the cost of the 'coding' equipment it would need. Not surprising really as every manufacturer (counting Audi, VW, Škoda & Seat as one) needs different equipment, or at least different licenced software.

redone

Nov 28, 2023
Battery life is reduced due to thinking its an old battery and not a new one. No VW Have not designed an automated way and BMW are the same.
From a BMW Site but applied to VAG motors
As your battery gets on in years and gradually loses its charging capacity, the vehicle adjusts the amount of energy needed to recharge to operate at optimal levels. The older the battery the more charging it requires. Registering your battery lets the relevant control module know that a new one is installed and as a result, the vehicle will reset the old battery statistics and won’t try to overcharge the new battery thinking the previous one is still inserted.
how did we manage for all these years…

redone

Nov 28, 2023
Track toy is correct. Also the error codes thrown up as the battery was failing won't be cleared.

It would appear that the place I bought my replacement battery from isn't prepared to bear the cost of the 'coding' equipment it would need. Not surprising really as every manufacturer (counting Audi, VW, Škoda & Seat as one) needs different equipment, or at least different licenced software.
pretty sure if you have a fancy topdon or w/e it would do 99%. are they called blockbuster batteries?

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023

Not really, all they would need is OBD11 that covers all the VAG and BMW Motors for this purpose.

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
The car alters the charging profile based on the age of the battery. If you do not tell it that you have a new battery, it could damage or shorten the life of the new one. Like for like doesn't matter. The car needs to know that a new battery is fitted and that includes the amps and CCA of the battery. No idea why modern technology can't sort that out!
Exactly, not only does it need to know the battery is new, but any change in CCA and cranking power needs to be logged on the car, as the charging profile will not charge the new battery to full potential with incorrect settings - I had this exact problem on my 2014 Toledo that I got 18 months ago. Yes it had only done 6600 miles from new, so had obviously done a lot of standing around which had destroyed the original battery. An upgraded battery had been fitted - yes it worked, but it obviously wasn't right until it was coded as for one thing the start-stop wasn't working. All came to life perfectly as soon as I had a play with VCDS and put the new correct battery specs in

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.