Best Ride Height

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
I've been looking about the Mk2 forum searching for folks scraping their cars and thought I'd start my own thread to get some more feedback.

Last night I was driving out of my gf's street with a full car (myself & 4 lassies :funk:) when I went slowly (5mph) over a speed cushion when CRUNCH. Fortunately it was only the one speed cushion I had to 'straddle' as there was a parked car on the other.

FYI www .rbwm.gov.uk/graphics/DSCF0021amends%281%29.JPG (can't post links yet)

I used to always scrape my Mk1 Leon with two people in the car (40mm lowered) and I used to cry everytime as it was my first car/pride and joy when I was 17. Now I've got the K1 :)drool:) with standard suspension and last night was the first time I've scraped it.

I'm going to get coilovers in the future but I'm unsure how much I'm going to lower it by. I'm thinking 30mm. It would be interesting to see how much folks have dropped their cars and how often they scrape it due to the ride height!!

Paul

Al

Aug 29, 2005
The drop achieved by adding Sportlines is about as low as I would go and I think thats a 30mm drop on a Cupra, therefore a bit more of a drop on other models.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Nope, but then I have stock suspension on again. I had no issues with the Sportlines when they were on though.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
I hate those kind of speed bumps. I'm lowered in coilovers by about the same as the sportline kit. I get lots of scraping, but only on the plastic undertray lip under the rear passenger doors. I tend to let one side of the car go over the speed bump and that seems to help.

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
Those speed bumbs really chap my a$$ too. I used to park round the corner and make the gf walk to the car! :D I ended up taking pity on her in the winter months.

I tend to drive down the centerline of the road so both wheels go over the centre of each cushion. Parked cars scupper that though.

Anyone had problems with multi storey car parks?

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
I think 30mm should be a decent enough drop for taking those corners with a bit more confidence ;)

If it does scrape then I can always re-adjust the coilies. I'm swaying towards either KW V2 or V3 or some Eibachs. Best get saving!

It's always good to get some feedback guys, thanks for your input!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I think 30mm should be a decent enough drop for taking those corners with a bit more confidence ;)

If it does scrape then I can always re-adjust the coilies. I'm swaying towards either KW V2 or V3 or some Eibachs. Best get saving!

It's always good to get some feedback guys, thanks for your input!

If your driving a TDI be VERY carefull of the fuel cooler radiator that sit under the passenger seat !! costly in two ways [new rad and lost fuel !!] - not sure if this applies to the Petrol version??

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.