biggest mistake

rrpalma

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
I just sold my Cupra R. And I am very, very sorry I did.:cry:

Please convince me that the new Cupra is as good and fun a ride as my previous R. Even if it looks funny on the outside, and the interior is, well, "different".

I am actually considering "upgrading" and buying a bmw 130i instead of the Cupra. Please give me your opinions on both cars.

On a different topic, I am an ICE enthusiast. My already sold Cupra R has a great audio system. I have not been able to find a new fascia for the new Cupra. Is there one that will fit for a regular DIN receiver?

Thanks.

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
I am in the same boat, not a day goes by I dont regret selling my Lovely R 225, I loved it. The front bumper was so low it kept scraping on very little bump it could find.

I am waiting for my FR and I am sure I will love it.

The 1 series BMW's are tiny in the back, so you wouldnt be able to fit many large adults in there :). I was considering the 130 m sport or whatever its called and it was tiny.

Shytot

Jul 4, 2005
There is no way the new cupra is anything on the old cupra. It looks like a big Ka, it is nowhere as well finished as my Ibiza either IMO yet costs 8k more. I just plain can't stand the new models, they are all nearly identical from 20 metres away or their shadow.
SHEEPLE buy this type of car.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
There is no way the new cupra is anything on the old cupra. It looks like a big Ka, it is nowhere as well finished as my Ibiza either IMO yet costs 8k more. I just plain can't stand the new models, they are all nearly identical from 20 metres away or their shadow.

I think thousands of people who have bought this car including me would disagree with the above comment. I bet you havent even driven either as well, let alone owning one!

Last edited:

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
BaaBaa and proud of it

rrpalma

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
I am in the same boat, not a day goes by I dont regret selling my Lovely R 225, I loved it. The front bumper was so low it kept scraping on very little bump it could find.

I am waiting for my FR and I am sure I will love it.

The 1 series BMW's are tiny in the back, so you wouldnt be able to fit many large adults in there :). I was considering the 130 m sport or whatever its called and it was tiny.

Thanks for sharing your pain. About the 130 being tiny in the back, I'm not too worried about it, since it's usually only my wife and I in the car. I'm more concerned with driving involvement, and the car having a "soul"

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Haven't driven a Mk2 Cupra but I have driven a 2.0 TFSi and a 2.0 TDi FR. They drive fairly well but I think they would benefit hugely from a set of Koni FSDs. The damping, just as in the Mk1 Cupras and LCRs is pretty crap.

The 2.0TFSi engine is pretty good but not in the same league as the 1.8T of old in my opinion. The diesel is a lot less flexible as you would expect but for a diesel it takes some beating.

Mechnically, I think they're very well put together (no surprise) but styling is, well, I'll just say its not to my taste, inside or out. I was really looking forward to seeing the mk2 when it was announced, especially the Cupra. I was disappointed with the result. IMO its all change in as much as the Mk5 Golf is a much better looking car, the Mk4 Golf was nowhere near as nice as the Mk1 Leon.

I'll be staying with Mk1s until the Leon Mk3 (if its any good) comes out in about 3-4 year's time. I could probably put up with the Mk2 exterior but the interior looks as if it was designed in about a week, not anywhere near as classy as the Mk1 in my opinion.

Fair-play to those who like the styling of the mk2, its all a matter of personal taste.

chippenhamwilts

Mar 31, 2007
Unbeleivable that someone can get away with saying UPGRADE to a BMW, thats a joke in its self, if you want to upgrade you'd be buying a Skoda, best reliability record says it all. Now if your talking about spending more and getting less you'd be on a winner with a BMW. If your going to spend silly money at least get an Audi, the 1 series looks like a clog.

rrpalma

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
Unbeleivable that someone can get away with saying UPGRADE to a BMW, thats a joke in its self, if you want to upgrade you'd be buying a Skoda, best reliability record says it all. Now if your talking about spending more and getting less you'd be on a winner with a BMW. If your going to spend silly money at least get an Audi, the 1 series looks like a clog.

If you read my original post again, you'll notice that I enclosed the word upgrading in quotes. I don't consider a BMW an upgrade just because it's a BMW. I couldn't care less about the brand -- I look for a hot hatch with high value, where performance and driver involvement come as top priorities.

Unfortunately, in this country the only high performance hatches available are the Cupra, the BMW 1 series, and the A3 with DSG and the MB SportCoupe, if yo can consider it a hot hatch. No new Golf, no new S3, no Opel, no Civic type R, and I don't care for DSG.

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
130i gets a good write up-apart from the lack of an LSD. It does suffer from a hard ride too apparently? Cracking engine gearbox combo though! Poss also take a look at an R26 megane if they are around your area?

rrpalma

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
130i gets a good write up-apart from the lack of an LSD. It does suffer from a hard ride too apparently? Cracking engine gearbox combo though! Poss also take a look at an R26 megane if they are around your area?

Thanks Eddie. No fast Renaults here though.

BIGAR

CHESTERFAIRIAN
Feb 5, 2006
CHESTERFAIRIANLAND
Haven't driven a Mk2 Cupra but I have driven a 2.0 TFSi and a 2.0 TDi FR. They drive fairly well but I think they would benefit hugely from a set of Koni FSDs. The damping, just as in the Mk1 Cupras and LCRs is pretty crap.

The 2.0TFSi engine is pretty good but not in the same league as the 1.8T of old in my opinion. The diesel is a lot less flexible as you would expect but for a diesel it takes some beating.

Mechnically, I think they're very well put together (no surprise) but styling is, well, I'll just say its not to my taste, inside or out. I was really looking forward to seeing the mk2 when it was announced, especially the Cupra. I was disappointed with the result. IMO its all change in as much as the Mk5 Golf is a much better looking car, the Mk4 Golf was nowhere near as nice as the Mk1 Leon.

I'll be staying with Mk1s until the Leon Mk3 (if its any good) comes out in about 3-4 year's time. I could probably put up with the Mk2 exterior but the interior looks as if it was designed in about a week, not anywhere near as classy as the Mk1 in my opinion.

Fair-play to those who like the styling of the mk2, its all a matter of personal taste.

:lol: Your having a laugh mate I loved my 20v T and even more once it had been modded but the new Leon pulls so well at the top end of the rev range, it lays the power down well and stick's to the road. just cant wait to get it to CC and have my own specific map put on as standard it is quicker than the mrk 1 and once modded i can see it maintaining that trend. Unfortunately you just have to move on, I love the Mrk 1 Leons they are legendary in there own right but I feel the Mrk 2 are great improvement on what was already a great car

ste-lfc

Jul 7, 2005
cheshire
I was the same,right up to day of collecting the new cupra i had this feeling in my belly 4 my beloved lcr,i had never drove the new cupra and my test drive was the day i picked it up from dealer.All i can say to you,and the doubters and slaggers out there is DRIVE ONE then you will see for yourself

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well guys, as I say, I did drive the 200 bhp FR and the 170 bhp diesel as I was thinking of buying a tax free one when I was in Germany. All of this is my opinion and everybody is welcome to theirs.

:lol: Your having a laugh mate I loved my 20v T and even more once it had been modded but the new Leon pulls so well at the top end of the rev range, it lays the power down well and stick's to the road. just cant wait to get it to CC and have my own specific map put on as standard it is quicker than the mrk 1 and once modded i can see it maintaining that trend. Unfortunately you just have to move on, I love the Mrk 1 Leons they are legendary in there own right but I feel the Mrk 2 are great improvement on what was already a great car

Nope, not having a laugh. Yes, the 2.0T does pull smoother than the 1.8T but IMHO I think this makes it feel slower. You don't get the same surge of power that you get from the 1.8T. The 2.0T has the same top speed and is apparently 0.3 seconds quicker 0-60. Thats nothing and the new car actually feels slower to me.

I was the same,right up to day of collecting the new cupra i had this feeling in my belly 4 my beloved lcr,i had never drove the new cupra and my test drive was the day i picked it up from dealer.All i can say to you,and the doubters and slaggers out there is DRIVE ONE then you will see for yourself

Having never driven a Mk2 Cupra, I can't comment on the performance. My main reason for waiting for the Mk3 is the styling. The dash is fine for a brat chariot like the Altea but for a sports hatchback its way off the mark. The Octavia, Focus RS and Megane are all miles ahead in this respect.

Quite honestly I could order a new Cupra if I so wished but I'd be consigning myself to massive depreciation as I know there's no way I'd keep the car for any longer than a year. The standard performance would be nice but the styling is just something I couldn't live with.

Each to their own and I know those who like the style of the Mk2 will be delighted with their cars. Well built and very quick.

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
I think that is a well balanced reply fella...Morks previous post about breaking and entering 'ones' house did kind of strike a cord with me. I too, also like the R26 very much, as I believe it is probably a better drivers car, esp over golf/st/civic/leon/etc...BUT choose your steed carefully----I'm sorry to say, but life's ups and downs (scumbags) have a way of shaping your life as you get older.
By the way I also love the DC5 integra, but as my car is stored on the drive at the mo, and the next car I purchase will be with my own hard earned cash(self employer), I really will think long and hard about my next purchase!:blink:

If its a case of having a DC5 on my drive and looking out of my window with an infra red cctv camera going all night and really loving 90 percent of the car, or sleeping at night and not having to 'bother' about a new leon cupra, that I may love 75 percent compared to the DC5, then the Leon may win?
Life has many ups and downs for us all and I for one DO not have to ever go through a breaking and entering of my home from someone that is looking for my car keys!!
My final choice 'at the moment' is a DC5 integra, an anniversary Golf, an R32 Golf, a Vauxhall monaro, or a Megane R26. The Leon Cupra has possibly raised its head again, due to the above mentioned comments, but I would need a test drive of all of the above to confirm my intentions

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.