blind spot fault

May 26, 2022
I have a 2021 Cupra Ateca. On motorway journeys the drivers side blind spot detector reacts to the concrete central barriers. It has been back once to the dealer who couldn't find anything wrong. I have since travelled up and down the M1 over several weekends and it has repeated itself. The orange light illuminates intermittently/permanently over a 50 mile section. It is not so bad during the day, but at night it is very distracting. I have some video of it now and will give this to the dealer, but would be interested if anyone else has had this issue?

WaveyDaveyGravy

But I'm so tasty
Jan 3, 2006
Shipley
It's not infallible and does show false positives. I think it might be something on the M1, think it has happened to me. I don't think there is a great deal that could be done about it TBH, if you reduce the sensitivity (not even sure that can be done) then it might not work properly.

Tell

Staff member
Would be a dealer job to change the sensitivity. Rear radar, detects when something is on that side close. Possibly radio interference would mess it up. Mine works perfectly.

I guess if some microwave link was running up the m1 and the receiver had come out of alignment e.g.. it was picking up the wrong signal. Front assist is radar, so a motorway is going to be well saturated with microwave signals so if you rear assist had turned itself into a microwave detector then you'd get that effect.

I suspect it's developed a fault and needs a part changed rather than adjusting.

May 26, 2022
Would be a dealer job to change the sensitivity. Rear radar, detects when something is on that side close. Possibly radio interference would mess it up. Mine works perfectly.

I guess if some microwave link was running up the m1 and the receiver had come out of alignment e.g.. it was picking up the wrong signal. Front assist is radar, so a motorway is going to be well saturated with microwave signals so if you rear assist had turned itself into a microwave detector then you'd get that effect.

I suspect it's developed a fault and needs a part changed rather than adjusting.
Thanks Tell.
It is not all the concrete barriers that affect it. Originally I thought it might be the height and the proximity, but on some parts of the M1 the barrier is 2 foot away and it doesn't pick it up. At other points the barrier is almost a lane's width away and it reacts, so I am guessing it is a sensitivity issue. When a vehicle moves up into my blindspot in normal everyday driving it seems to work just fine...

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Tell.
It is not all the concrete barriers that affect it. Originally I thought it might be the height and the proximity, but on some parts of the M1 the barrier is 2 foot away and it doesn't pick it up. At other points the barrier is almost a lane's width away and it reacts, so I am guessing it is a sensitivity issue. When a vehicle moves up into my blindspot in normal everyday driving it seems to work just fine...
Whatever it is that's doing it, if it was working correctly they would have to move in from behind if it's blind spot and not ultrasound. I guess it's the system generating radio interference or picking up radio interference.

Have you refered it to your dealer yet. Suspect it would have to go to a central VAG place that had test equipment or they take it for a spin down the M1 where it's known to misbehave or just change the radar / transmitter if it's plug and go. The front radar does need adjust.

Tell

Staff member
The only issue I've had is the blind spot radar doubles up as rear cross, so if you get the rear panels muddy L/R bumper area then you loose rear cross and I guess blind spot. It flicks up a warning when you start it up. Blind spot disabled. It check marks out the setting. Wet sponge and a wipe, toggle back on and you are in business again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members