A couple of issues (drivers side blind spot monitor and KESSY)

ads_uk

Apr 26, 2021
Leicester UK
So I've got a 20 plate Ateca Xcellence Lux with blind spot monitoring and KESSY. I've been having issues over the last few months with both. It has been into the local dealership who basically said it was dirty sensors (blind spot monitor) and keyfob battery for faulty key (KESSY).

1. Blind Spot issue - I basically get the drivers side blind spot indicator coming on randomly when driving (empty roads no nearby vehicles). Typically for periods for 30 secs to 2 mins. I've cleaned the sensors and check them regularly for debris. Nothing. Still doing it though. Technician did mutter something about low voltage levels but did not elaborate. My question is if it's doing it ONLY on the driver's side how can it be debris. Surely I'd be seeing the issue on both sides if they were equally dirty.

2. KESSY. I'm getting repeated issues with between the car and key. Often I will get out of the car and then the central locking will engage the second or two after a door is closed. (not the normal lock sequence as the mirrors do not fold in). Touching the door handles has no effect and the key must be used to unlock the car. This happens a lot. The dealer thought my worn main use key was the issue and fitted a new battery (even though I'd fitted one 1 week earlier). I've now switched over to a brand new unused spare key (no wear at all) with brand new battery and the issue still persists. I also often have to present the key to the special spot on the steering column for it to work (new key, new battery). So to me clearly something is failing here. I am always worried one day I'll forget to take the key on exit and be locked out of the car!

My guess is that the modules have developed some fault but the dealership are trying to eek it out until my warranty expires. Luckily I've just extended mine for another 12 months with Seat (as I was at the end of my 3 years in June).

Just wondering if these were common issues with a known remedy as the dealership seems clueless. I know there are modules into which the body blind spot/parking sensors are connected (inside the wheel arches). I am wondering if one of these has developed a fault.

As the the KESSY I've no idea what device does the comms between the key and the car but I guess something must be causing the issue.

Any advice/solutions welcome.

thanks
Ad.

ads_uk

Apr 26, 2021
Leicester UK
Sounds like a faulty on both cases.. Second one if second hand previous owner may have used a one click app on the kessy and messed it up. If new it won't be that.
Yes the new key was a replacement from the dealership after i aquired the car as it was missing one key (I purchased it at 11 months old). So came direct from Seat. I'll book it in again and see what they say. My feeling is they're hoping I'll just go away. I was kind of hoping someone else had had similar problems and had it fixed so I could at least explain the issue to the dealership based on other occurences. I did find a thread on here with a similar Kessy issue to mine but there was never an outcome on that thread sadly... oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Tell

Staff member
Yes the new key was a replacement from the dealership after i aquired the car as it was missing one key (I purchased it at 11 months old). So came direct from Seat. I'll book it in again and see what they say. My feeling is they're hoping I'll just go away. I was kind of hoping someone else had had similar problems and had it fixed so I could at least explain the issue to the dealership based on other occurences. I did find a thread on here with a similar Kessy issue to mine but there was never an outcome on that thread sadly... oh well. Thanks for the reply.
I would say on the Kessy the previous owner has hacked the Kessy to auto lock when the key is outside of the car. It's pretty stupid thing to do since it assumes that the Kessy system is working 100% at sensing the key is in the car. Since the aeriel reception can be probĺematic it can lock the car with the keys in.

Lock with mirrors in is an option on the infotainment screen although on early Atecas it wasn't (2018 It was). Again those menus can be adjusted so the menu can be suppressed or it doesn't lock that way via coding. A long button hold should bring the mirrors in which is the manual method. Check whether on the infotainment screen it's checked for locking with mirrors in.

So I reckon the previous owner has let rip with Kessy coding. Vcds, Obdeleven or Carista. If you can't get the dealer to correct it you might have to invest in Obdeleven Pro and recode it yourself / check the coding. I did give some information on that on the Obdeleven thread.

On the blind spot. Dirt on the side panels at the rear can toggle blind spot off. On your description it doesn't sound like that although Seat might have altered how that works in later models. Basically if it detects an error on the blind spot radar it turns the system off, you have to toggle it back on manually. Front assist doesn't work like that. It resets itself.

On ignition you should get flashing on the blind spot mirror inset which means it's booted up ok on either side. No flashing, it's not on. Mud on the lower plastic back area where the radar is either side triggers it off. Reversing down country lanes being chased by sillage vehicles also triggers it off. The bank in proximity. Had that on the Arona with blind spot. The penny dropped on what had happened on that one.

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
So I've got a 20 plate Ateca Xcellence Lux with blind spot monitoring and KESSY. I've been having issues over the last few months with both. It has been into the local dealership who basically said it was dirty sensors (blind spot monitor) and keyfob battery for faulty key (KESSY).

1. Blind Spot issue - I basically get the drivers side blind spot indicator coming on randomly when driving (empty roads no nearby vehicles). Typically for periods for 30 secs to 2 mins. I've cleaned the sensors and check them regularly for debris. Nothing. Still doing it though. Technician did mutter something about low voltage levels but did not elaborate. My question is if it's doing it ONLY on the driver's side how can it be debris. Surely I'd be seeing the issue on both sides if they were equally dirty.

2. KESSY. I'm getting repeated issues with between the car and key. Often I will get out of the car and then the central locking will engage the second or two after a door is closed. (not the normal lock sequence as the mirrors do not fold in). Touching the door handles has no effect and the key must be used to unlock the car. This happens a lot. The dealer thought my worn main use key was the issue and fitted a new battery (even though I'd fitted one 1 week earlier). I've now switched over to a brand new unused spare key (no wear at all) with brand new battery and the issue still persists. I also often have to present the key to the special spot on the steering column for it to work (new key, new battery). So to me clearly something is failing here. I am always worried one day I'll forget to take the key on exit and be locked out of the car!

My guess is that the modules have developed some fault but the dealership are trying to eek it out until my warranty expires. Luckily I've just extended mine for another 12 months with Seat (as I was at the end of my 3 years in June).

Just wondering if these were common issues with a known remedy as the dealership seems clueless. I know there are modules into which the body blind spot/parking sensors are connected (inside the wheel arches). I am wondering if one of these has developed a fault.

As the the KESSY I've no idea what device does the comms between the key and the car but I guess something must be causing the issue.

Any advice/solutions welcome.

thanks
Ad.
That sounds pretty much how my 19 plate Cupra Ateca is behaving. The driver side blindspot monitor has been problematic from day one - coming on randomly just like yours.

KESSY has gradually been degrading. Someone suggested on another thread that it may be due to the main battery in the car having low charge. Mine randomly locks itself after I've got into the car as well as when I'm outside. I've tried changing key fob batteries, but the problems have continued (although not consistently). Sometimes it works fine for weeks, and at others it plays up all the time. Just living with it whilst I contemplate the options...

Tell

Staff member
That sounds pretty much how my 19 plate Cupra Ateca is behaving. The driver side blindspot monitor has been problematic from day one - coming on randomly just like yours.

KESSY has gradually been degrading. Someone suggested on another thread that it may be due to the main battery in the car having low charge. Mine randomly locks itself after I've got into the car as well as when I'm outside. I've tried changing key fob batteries, but the problems have continued (although not consistently). Sometimes it works fine for weeks, and at others it plays up all the time. Just living with it whilst I contemplate the options...
May be after 2017 they changed the design on the blind spot. Mines been fine except turning itself off when the rear sensor is covered in mud as mentioned.

Ditto Kessy. I dont trust the second hand one's where the previous owner has been tempted by those one click coding apps. Big diesel battery so there is always enough power (we hope).

I always go unlock, open door and close, to avoid the re lock (anti theft feature of getting in a mess of walking off after unlocking it without re locking it). The re lock will occur if it doesnt pick up the door is opened and closed.

I see I did pin this thread on blind spot:

Here it was found that all error codes should be cleared. After that it worked fine. Why I pinned it.... Theory was the systems don't talk to each other whilst an error code in the system is present. Given with the new MQB Evo platforms throws up masses of errors (Leon 4 / Formentor) these days, dealers don't clear the error messages as poor practice has spread as the messages don't offer much on those chassis. I've noticed that when mine has gone in for a service, they don't clear them even one's they create within maintenance. So clearing those does help / can help on blind spot in some situations.

ads_uk

Apr 26, 2021
Leicester UK
Ok... thanks. It wasn't doing any of this stuff 6 months ago so I am assuming something must be faulty on both systems somewhere! As the car came direct from a dealer (it was a dealer principle car before being sold on) I am guessing there's probably been no fiddling regarding VCDS. I'll re-book it in and see what happens. I guess they will always be reluctant to start ripping panels off and replacing electronics as it's likely costly. Just hope I can get something out of them on the 2nd visit. We shall see.

Tell

Staff member
It has been known that they do it, VCDS fiddling with dealers own cars in the past. Like to try things out.

The blind spot might be the one where the error codes need clearing down before it works correctly as per the thread.

May 26, 2022
My 21 plate Cupra Ateca has been back to the dealer for 4 attempts to rectify the blindspot issue. On the third time it was taken to a VAG dealer to check tracking and ride height etc as they presumed i had smashed into a pot hole and that could be the cause. There were no issues found and stated that they couldn't replicate the fault. They eventually agreed to swap out the driver's side sensor on the 4th visit.
I was all fine until this weekend, when it has started coming on when travelling on an A road with no other traffic. It also reacts to the concrete barriers in the middle of the M4 and M5.
No idea if it is connected, but when using google maps or Waze the display will blur out to a purple colour and become unreadable. It does this every 10-15 mins on longer journeys. it rectifies when i switch the head unit off and back on, but very annoying!
Will be taking it back to the dealer again, but looks like the blindspot ghosting is impossible to fix....

Tell

Staff member
I was all fine until this weekend, when it has started coming on when travelling on an A road with no other traffic. It also reacts to the concrete barriers in the middle of the M4 and M5.

That bit sounds like lane assist picking up side movement rather than blind spot. Reported on the Formentor side. Lane assist if you have it uses imaging to identify movement on the right for right hand drive cars to stop you undertaking. The car can get confused about left and right and it applies brakes at will if cruise control is on. With Obdeleven / VCDS you can shut down the side movement sensing so it stops the warning. Coding for that is on the Obdeleven Formentor side if its that.

The other issue is mib3 infotainment issues.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.