Blown Turbo 1.9 TDi FR

Keef83

Nov 25, 2008
Maidstone
Hi All,
I am just wondering how common it is for a Turbo to blow, my car is only 4 years old and has 72,000 miles on the clock. I like to think that I drive reasonably and don't drive like I stole the car so don't think that it would be due to my driving style.

Has anyone else had problems with their turbo???

Thanks,
Keith :wtf:

Keef83

Nov 25, 2008
Maidstone
It tends to be the boost pipes which pop off, rather than turbos going. However it isnt that uncommon for them to go at around 120K miles. Are you sure its the turbo?

Not really sure just trusting what the garage are telling me as I am not all that great with mechanics etc, although it didn't sound healthy when it went. [:@]

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
Get a second opinion from another garage would be what i would sugguest to be honest!

Some garages will rip you for anything.

Mines on 105k and no problems, just lots of smoke.

Its been mapped for about 8k i would say.

jacko_86

Hiphopopotamus
Mar 4, 2008
My turbo went at 60 000 miles, replaced under extended warranty tho! Would have been around £1500 for a new one fitted! :D

sobz

the turbo on our car had gone last year and we managed to get a good reconditioned one to fit. today driving along, overtook a car not going fast at all and bam! smoke everywhere. called out AA and guy sez its turbo gone too... now gotta wait for garage to get bak to me tomorro :(

sobz

i think it was black. couldnt really make it out was really dark outside :( oil light flashing too :(

sobz

limped it to garage coz AA man sed it should be ok but now im not so sure :( NIGHTMARE

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
If it is the turbo that's gone, you'll have been driving it with next to no oil left in the engine. If its just a boost pipe gone, then it will be fine.

sobz

checked oil its still full. was just serviced yeaterday. filters changed too.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Infact ignore that. Just realised its an old thread trawled up and was going by the first post and cant delete using tapatalk.

If it was all of a sudden seems more like a boost pipe. Jack the car up on the drivers side, remove wheel and arch lining and have a good look at the boost pipes. Common problem

sobz

Service was done all was fine. All of a sudden today smoke started switched car off when i switched it bak on the oil light came on too and hasnt gone off :(

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Did you check the oil after the light came on?
Illuminated oil dipstick can yes?

Usually if a turbo is going it will use oil and gradually get worse and smoke more and more. Sudden smoke is more like a boost pipe

sobz

Not aftr light came on but did just before. The whole oil and filters were just changed ystrday as part of service. Hope its jus a boost pipe slip. Guess il find out more tomorro :s

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
First thing I would do when seeing an oil light come on would be check it, no matter how soon it was after checking the oil. Could have lost all your oil or anything. Id advise that you go and do that and see what your oil levels reading. A bkost pipe coming off wont put on an oil light. No oil pressure will, usually caused by lack of oil/ faulty pump or even sensore

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.