Blown Turbo 1.9 TDi FR

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
my car is at 52k...starting to take care of my turbo a bit more now.....long run in times and leave car running for few minutes when im at my destination...

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
The EU4 Ibiza FR with motorcode BLT come with a really poor turbo. They even pop in stock condition frequently, chiptuning is a NO GO for this engine IMHO. This just for generell information ;-)

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
The EU4 Ibiza FR with motorcode BLT come with a really poor turbo. They even pop in stock condition frequently, chiptuning is a NO GO for this engine IMHO. This just for generell information ;-)

Iv never heard a statement like that before. My cars been running a remap for over a year and gets driven hard and turbo is fine and doesnt smoke at all or use excessive oil. Its getting checked next week when the downpipes off.
Im sure theres plenty people running remapped cars with the stock turbo on, supposed to be good for up to 190bhp /200 maybe? Could be wrong

Lew89

Jun 17, 2011
Oxford
My turbo blew 70k miles - Impellor broke loose from the shaft :(
ibizaturbo.jpg

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
The BLT turbo is the most frequently repair or trash device I get in my shop. They are designed quite close to stock hp/Nm power levels, and even there they frequently cause problems with IAT under high load due to its lack of compressor efficiency. Compressor and turbine maps proof that they are designed very close to its limit, if trying to make 200hp with this turbo it would pop instantly because of overspeeding excessively.

Regards, Alex

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
Give it a 5 minutes WOT run on autobahn and watch the turbo go pop ;-)

You dont have to believe me, but if you want a proof of what I wrote, just contact kkk and ask for the save power level of kkk bv39 turbo ;-)

Regards, Alex

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Wot run? I dont fancy driving from the north east of scotland to germany just to see if it will go POP.
I just think its a pretty wild statement to say it will instantly go pop.
What difference is the autobahn from any other road that it gets abused on ;)

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
You can use a highway if you want, my statement of going on the autobahn was just reffering to go top speed ;-)

Btw: the OEM software of BLT is probably one of the most restrictive in terms of IQ reduction when IATs begin to raise and elevation protection for boost level, so I guess even VAG is aware of what the bv39 can do, and what not ;-)

Regards, Alex

spud31

Rail Zip User
Jul 14, 2011
majesty
is it a stright swap to a garett turbo when these do die?
Are the intercooler an inlet connections the same

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
KKK turbo's are like cheese. All these people claming upwards of 185 are dreamers. I know of one that was pushed to the top side of 190, and sure enough it lasted all of a couple of days.

It is a straight swap from KKK to Garett.

But as Alex has said, KKK runners may as well be made from cheese, and will pop even at standard power, with varied mileage, depending on how you drive.

majesty78

Oct 6, 2008
Austria
On BLT engine its unfortunately NOT a straight swap to Garrett GT1749VB / VB, because BLT has warecooled EGR and different position of EGR port on the turbo manifold :-(

Straight swap is only when you simultaniously delete EGR.

On ASZ engine it is 1:1 swap, on BLT not :-(

Regards, Alex

Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
Give it a 5 minutes WOT run on autobahn and watch the turbo go pop ;-)

You dont have to believe me, but if you want a proof of what I wrote, just contact kkk and ask for the save power level of kkk bv39 turbo ;-)

Regards, Alex

on that note, there is a certain element of truth to what you are saying. On mine when i was testing it after a remap, it was the boost limiter that kicked in when i was pushing over 130mph (in germany btw), turbo didnt die was fine. Turned the car off and on again and it was back to normal.

I've got a 2007 BLT and yeh, its problematic compared to the ASZ as it has more restrictions it was designed to comply with however, mine 65k, mapped for 30k, gets driven HARD at least once or twice a week, and its ok, i do get a squeak from the vaines every now and again however, but i follow the basic rules, 5min warm up 2min cool down when at destination, and when its not driven hard, i hardly ever kick the turbo in as im cruising at 60 in 6th

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Kettering
The car cutting out at 130mph could have been the vanes causing it? Iv never had mine cut out

nope i know it was the boost limited as we plugged vag com in almost immediately after getting home and it was still showing boost limit exceeded. it didnt cut out, just went into limp mode, and the vaines didnt start squeeking until about 3-4months later.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
nope i know it was the boost limited as we plugged vag com in almost immediately after getting home and it was still showing boost limit exceeded. it didnt cut out, just went into limp mode, and the vaines didnt start squeeking until about 3-4months later.

My mates polo has the same problem, the fault code that shows after it happens is over boost and iirc from reading up about it that is the code that appears because of the turbo vanes. The turbo cuts out and doesnt come in again until you stop the car and then restart it and its fine again, until you hit that speed / revs again. His turbo started squeaking 5 or 6 months after it started cutting out

John11367

May 20, 2005
Mate of mine blew the turbo on his fr at ~60k and as said when he took it in for repair the guy said they were constantly seeing the kkk turbos failing.

My cupra tdi is also doing this cutting on at 130 mph but no speaking yet...