BSH Catch Can Install on Cupra and Idling Issue Solved

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Does any one know how much the standard catch can can hold?
It might be a good idea if we could gather some data for different seasons in the year and areas of the UK to how much condensate is actually produced over a certain milage , this will give people an indication of when and how often to empty their cans.

I am quite a stickler for checking my oil on a regular bassis and this will now include my catch can but i bet there are a few on here who dont go through the same routine and i would hate to think what would happen to an engine if the catch can was not emptied?

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Tfsi_Mike,

I got the silicone hose here:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=0022S&product=FMS22-19

The stop end was one my dad had for the hydraulic hose on one of his excavators. I don't know where you would get such a thing but I had found alloy blanking plugs on ebay for a few quid which would do the job.

Try also this link on the forge site I just found:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&cat=&product=FMTB052K

Hope this helps.

Just to check and make sure mate, did you get the 22mm-19mm Hose? Then I'm tipping a 20mm Blanking plug would be required. If so, is the 22mm the ID of the pipe?

Thanks in advance.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Original fitting instruction **** up!

Update for those who purchased the PCV Catch can on the recent mk5 forum group buy.

I don,t know whether this is commom knowledge on this forum, but the original fitting instructions for the catch can hoses are incorrect.

Instructions stated - right hand hose to top of can, left side to middle

Corrected instructions - right hand hose to side of can, left side to top.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Update for those who purchased the PCV Catch can on the recent mk5 forum group buy.

I don,t know whether this is commom knowledge on this forum, but the original fitting instructions for the catch can hoses are incorrect.

Instructions stated - right hand hose to top of can, left side to middle

Corrected instructions - right hand hose to side of can, left side to top.

This would make for better routing of the pipes also. Where did this come from mate?

P.S. Any harm in them being wrong?

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
This would make for better routing of the pipes also. Where did this come from mate?

P.S. Any harm in them being wrong?

MK5 forum have eventually got this new info from BSH themselves - seems we got the outdated instructions. I wouldn,t worry if you have had them the other way round as i have been running mine like this with no issues - apparently it just works better this way round.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
MK5 forum have eventually got this new info from BSH themselves - seems we got the outdated instructions. I wouldn,t worry if you have had them the other way round as i have been running mine like this with no issues - apparently it just works better this way round.

Haha, what instructions???

I never got any, my instructions were dictated to me over the phone lol :D

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Well we were all told the first scenario for fitting , then it comes to pass that this was wrong - Americans eh :D

Which way round did you fit yours?

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Aye would of been nice if they did come with instructions. Have they updated the instructions on their website??

http://www.bshspeedshop.com/instructions/fsi_catch_can.pdf

Its not as if its a handed thing, the engines are the same way under the bonnet even if they are left hookers :D

That's just it Z, their website remains unchanged but we have received the reverse instructions when they were pressed to confirm which way round the hoses went. Suppose its a storm in a tea cup really but its meant iv,e had to go out and buy/fit new hoses today which has been an unnecessary inconvenience - along with a few others no doubt. Apparently it wont do any harm but it works better this way.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
That's just it Z, their website remains unchanged but we have received the reverse instructions when they were pressed to confirm which way round the hoses went. Suppose its a storm in a tea cup really but its meant iv,e had to go out and buy/fit new hoses today which has been an unnecessary inconvenience - along with a few others no doubt. Apparently it wont do any harm but it works better this way.

I was hoping it'd just be a case of swapping the hose's over, never thought new would be required.

I'll have a look tomorrow.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
i thought this update on pipe orientation would of generated more posts on the subject than it has:shrug:

Why that mate?
tbh its been said thats there is no right way or wrong way , its just the new way round is supposed to work better.
I think if it was a galring and damaging mistake BSH would have changed it on their website.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Why that mate? tbh its been said thats there is no right way or wrong way , its just the new way round is supposed to work better. I think if it was a galring and damaging mistake BSH would have changed it on their website.
Maybe. But for me it if works better one way round then the other way is wrong. If it didnt matter then why would bsh say it. Just my two penneth i suppose.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Not changed mine yet, but me and my brother in law (well mostly the bro-in-law) are going to test a theory he has had.

If one pipe inlet/outlet is creating a suction effect while the other is blowing. BSH may of discovered its better to draw off water vapour in one direction than the other.

So one way may lead to more moisture build up in the can and the other way will allow more water vapour to be pulled back through the engine and out through the exhaust. With the majority of the oily deposits being caught inside the catch can.

For example it maybe better to draw off moisture vapour via the top pipe as hot dense air rises rather than it escaping through the bottom pipe.

If this theory is wrong and there is no pressure differences then I fail to see what the significance of swapping the pipes over will achieve.

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
Not changed mine yet, but me and my brother in law (well mostly the bro-in-law) are going to test a theory he has had.

If one pipe inlet/outlet is creating a suction effect while the other is blowing. BSH may of discovered its better to draw off water vapour in one direction than the other.

So one way may lead to more moisture build up in the can and the other way will allow more water vapour to be pulled back through the engine and out through the exhaust. With the majority of the oily deposits being caught inside the catch can.

For example it maybe better to draw off moisture vapour via the top pipe as hot dense air rises rather than it escaping through the bottom pipe.

If this theory is wrong and there is no pressure differences then I fail to see what the significance of swapping the pipes over will achieve.

Any updates on this Mark?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Sorry not had time to do much recently, been too busy with other things. Will try and get on it later this week or at the weekend.

Not even fitted the ITG yet either, though would like to try and get a rolling road run in as it is now to see the differences the ITG makes before its fitted.

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
Cheers Mark thanks for that :)

That would be good, I saw a thread on the MK5 forum were that had done a RR comparison on a GTI with the standard air box and the ITG, would be interesting to see this on the Cupra as well

singh123

Cupra
Mar 17, 2008
Hi Guys just a quick question about fitting it, from the guides that you guys have posted and from the bsh shop guide it looks pretty easy to fit, but is it really easy to fit for someone who’s a bit of a newbie at fitting things? I don’t want to save some fitting money and then end up having to pay out lost more

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Hi Guys just a quick question about fitting it, from the guides that you guys have posted and from the bsh shop guide it looks pretty easy to fit, but is it really easy to fit for someone who’s a bit of a newbie at fitting things? I don’t want to save some fitting money and then end up having to pay out lost more

Yer, the guides do make it look easy, I'm sure you will be able to do it easy too mate, they are really straight forward.

If you do get stuck, just post back on here, but I'm sure you won't need to.