BSH Catch Can Install on Cupra and Idling Issue Solved

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Anyone able to offer some assistance?

My catch can's drain valve was permanently leaking, so after receiving a replacement from Ben I today went to fit it.

After removing the can I noticed there were no wire wool in the can. Now I'm sure on BSH's site that steel wool is inside the catch can's and even state it should be changed at approx 6mth intervals.

I'm sure it should be in the top ie remove the top elbow and it is sat in there on top of a baffle plate.

Have any of you guy's who have fitted them noticed whether or not you indeed do have steel wool and if so, is it under the top elbow on the catch can?

I just wanted to check with you lot before maybe mailing BSH.

Oh, and on a side note, I'm going to change the plastic elbow's for something more substantial, mine are getting mishaped when tightening the jubilee clips, yep I know I could maybe just tighten them a little less, but I want to make sure they are tight and sealed lol.

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Mine wasn't supplied with wire wool either although i was under the impression the new revised can that we have does not require wool as it has a baffle at the top of the can instead like you said. I too replaced the supplied plastic fittings with some brass ones as they were just useless.

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Mine wasn't supplied with wire wool either although i was under the impression the new revised can that we have does not require wool as it has a baffle at the top of the can instead like you said. I too replaced the supplied plastic fittings with some brass ones as they were just useless.

Ah, so we don't need wool putting in then mate?

Where did you source the brass elbows from? I'm scouring the net now.

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
I don't think wire wool is required no. Mine seems to be working fine with it anyway. I'll try and dig out the receipt for the fittings mate as i can't remember off the top of my head where i got them from...

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
I don't think wire wool is required no. Mine seems to be working fine with it anyway. I'll try and dig out the receipt for the fittings mate as i can't remember off the top of my head where i got them from...

Thanks mate, the only one's I can find so far are the nylon one's.

I'm getting a build up of yellow slime in my pipe and wondered if it was due to not having the wire wool in.

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
Ok.... you will need are 3/8"NPT to 5/8" hose. I got mine from HERE

I had to ring them as it wouldn't let me order them through the website.

You will need to grind the edge of them down slightly though otherwise they foul on each other when your screwing them in as the holes in the plate are too close together.

Last edited:

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Ok.... you will need are 3/8"NPT to 5/8" hose. I got mine from HERE

I had to ring them as it wouldn't let me order them through the website.

You will need to grind the edge of them down slightly though otherwise they foul on each other when your screwing them in as the holes in the plate are too close together.

LOL, yer, just tried via the website and I couldn't either.

I'll try phoning them tomorrow, if not, first thing on Monday.

Thanks again mate.

anthony37

Take No ****!
Jun 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi guys,

I bought the BSH Catch Can kit as part of the group by on mk5golfgti.com. I received the kit on Saturday and got a chance to fit it last night.

It was straight forward enough to fit, just like any other Golf GTI/Octavia VRS guide, but in order to fit the bracket to support the can I had to drill two small holes in my wing.

See the photos below of the installation. Also, I had a problem with idling after it was installed. The car would rev up itself to 1500rpm and drop back to 850rpm. I found that the supplied cap for blanking off the inlet manifold was leaking so I replaced it with a bit of silicone hose and a stop end I had laying around.

Overall, the can has cured the sometimes irratic missfire and shudder I had at idle so my old PCV must of been dodgy. The car feels really strong under acceleration and I have no hesitation like sometimes I had in second gear previously, again maybe of been down to a dodgy PCV.

Any comments/queries welcome.

The Kit as it came in the Post:
DSC00431.jpg
]

Pic of the location of the bracket for the can and after installation pics:
DSC00433.jpg
]
DSC00435.jpg
]
DSC00434.jpg
]
DSC00436.jpg
]
DSC00432.jpg
]

Pic of the silicone hose and blanking plug I used to cure the air leak issue:
DSC00437.jpg
]
DSC00438.jpg
]

So what have you done to the old Catch Can? I see you still have it in the car?

Madcaddies

Thank you for the pictures. Did you get an installation guide with yours? None came with mine. I ask because how can you be sure which holes from the catch can to the bsh pcv plate is supposed to be correctly conntected? Hope your understand my question?

Ups. I did not take my time and read this thread throughly enough. It clearly states how to fit the hoses correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise