Castrol Edge

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Anyone seen Halfords own brand new 506.01 5W40 ?........as they don't manufacture their own oil anyone know who does make it for them ?

Any users of the stuff out there I was thinking of using it in my 110bhp (non PD)....I know I don't need a 506.01/505.01 but I thought that it must be more superior than the 505.00 I'm currently using (especially maybe less wear on the Cam lobes............)

Paul

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
Maybe it is a contradiction? Maybe I took the wrong details down but OK lets sort your question out then before the one I asked....

i) Does anyone know if viscosity is part of the specification for either 505.01, 506.01 ? or is it more related to Longlife or not ?

ii) Then back to my original question which was in relation to had anyone used this oil ? & bearing in mind why the .01 oils exist (for PD's) & I understood this was mainly for cutting down wear on the cam lobes working the PD injectors is it likely to of be of benifit to reducing wear on my Camshaft lobes operating the valves ? Wondered also if it was a cheaper alternative for those he need a 505.01i

Thanks Madmile...I'll had a look on the Comma website & looked at their own brands find a similar spec oil..........they have a 505.01 5W40 but is only rated at ACEA B3 but have a 505.00 5W40 which is rated A3 B3 & B4.

Paul

I was chating to my My local independant motor factors chappy about my forthcoming Ibiza FR, he does sell castrol edge but tells me not to bother payin extra for Castrol edge its not worth it as your buying the brand. He reckons stick to the standard VW PD stuff if i do a change inbetween the services required to keep up the warrenty. He saved me a fortune with the WRX oil change by persueding me to buy the 5l fully synth carlube 0W40 and save £25 over the 4 litre Mobil 1 fully synthetic 0w40! So i'd now not pay the extra for the famous brands.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.