Central Locking Stopped Working

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
My central locking stopped working yesterday....

The keyfob light works and i have replaced the battery just to be safe, there was a fuse blown under the dash but this has been changed and still no joy.

It will lock all doors just fine using the interior lock button.

Anyone have any ideas / previous experience, im just fine with the mechanical side of things but with electrics im completely lost...:help:

Thanks, Rick

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
could try a manual reprogram of the remote ?

1 Turn ignition on to position 2 (red lights on dash)
2 Turn ignition off IMMEDIATELY and pull key out.
3 While HOLDING 1 of the buttons down (doesn't matter which), PRESS the other button 3 times (with a SLIGHT pause) 1 . 2 . 3.
4 Watch the LED on the fob (it should flash) and the doors usually try lock/unlock.
5 Repeat steps 3 & 4 for any other remotes you may have (that includes your old one!)
6 Turn ignition back on to red lights and wait 5 seconds.
7 Turn off ignition, pull key out again and test

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
Thanks Flapper - i found your guide earlier, i have also tried that with no luck.

The lights flash 5 times etc but the key still doesnt work.

Just to confirm, this is the only fault, all of other electrics are just fine.

Rick

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
5 flashes sounds good for the key

my last failed one did same and still wouldn't program so i got a new one and bingo but they can be dear to buy on a whim so ideally testing with another cars remote is best way if possible

i would try it a few times with a second or so on each step as it can be a bit of a hit 'n' miss knack to it sadly

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
edited it

2 Turn ignition off and pull key out in less than 5 seconds.

immediately is a little too fast - turn it on and count to 1/2 then out, as long as its less than 5 seconds

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
Just tried it - still no joy :censored:

It wouldnt be so bad but the part of the handle that interfaces with the door-lock is broken so i cant even lock it with the key - i essentially cant lock the car at all.

My dad has a toledo with the same key-shape, ill try and code that and see if i get any joy...

Thanks for the replies flapper.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
try the passenger side handle to lock it ?

in fact might be a real long shot but the handle issue could holding the lock system in limbo stopping it from programming ??

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
Im hoping this is the case to be honest.

Someone reversed into my drivers door 2 days ago, this broke the part of the handle that fits into the locking mechanism and dented the door - the locking still worked just fine though until last night but im sure its not a co-incidence.

Im going to a breakers tonight to pickup a new door and will see if they have a spare handle too.

Cant lock it from the passenger side - the car doesnt have a key-slot on this side...

Rick

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ahh bugger, does sound like it's not the fault then :(

mind you - could always try it with the old mans key or your key with the old mans car just note to reprogram the right one to the right car after all done and tested :)

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
ahh bugger, does sound like it's not the fault then :(

mind you - could always try it with the old mans key or your key with the old mans car just note to reprogram the right one to the right car after all done and tested :)

Is that all you do to program a key to a car? the trick with the key in ignition and pressing buttons??

Im guessing this is purely for central locking and won't program immobiliser?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Is that all you do to program a key to a car? the trick with the key in ignition and pressing buttons??

Im guessing this is purely for central locking and won't program immobiliser?

yes just for the remote locking circuit, the immobiliser side needs the chips coding with the proper kit and an SKC code that only the dealers have access too at present, there a few tools about that will do it but are costly and awkward.

Bloody Hell... It worked for me.. Thanks Flapper :)
It took me a few goes, but I finally got it to work..

good to hear - as above it can take a few goes alternating buttons, is a bit of a nack at times

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Ive tried this although dont think it is the cause of my problem, dont know if you have seen my thread but the unlock button keeps not working, even though lock button works fine.... seems to be a loose connection though as if you take key apart it seems to work after a quick wiggle.. may just try some electrical tape wrapped round the PCB to hold everything together see if that gets me anywhere??

Kris.T12

As a fix for the part connecting the key slot to the locking mechanism. If its the spade connecter thing, that comes out of the keyslot and goes into the top of the locking mechanism, thats broke. It cost me £2.21 from the stealers for mine when i broke it.
Cheap fix till you can sort the remote problem

Jul 22, 2023
I figured it out on my ibiza.
If you lock the doors manually with the lock door button on the inside of the driver door, then exit the car, the car will lock. Then I used my key to unlock and suddenly the lock button on the key worked again.

I think the locking mechanism got confused with the kids locking and unlocking manually using the handles inside..
But mine is working again now.

Jul 22, 2023
Resetting the key didn't work for me. I pressed the lock button twice in the inside drivers door fast and the key began working again

Feb 13, 2024
Hi guys I know this is a really old thread, bought my 1.2 Ibiza reference sport as my first car in October, key fob never worked for locking, thought it may be a dead battery but light on the key still flashes however the light on drivers door has never flashed even when locking manually. Could it be a fuse or something like that?

thanks

Tom

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.