Changing the gearbox oil on a 2014 6-speed manual 2.0 diesel FR

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
What you'll need: Jack and axle stands, 10mm Allen socket, T25 and T45 Torx sockets, torque wrench, small funnel and length of tubing and 2.3-2.4L of 75W GL-4 gearbox oil.

Start by safely jacking the front of your car up and putting it on axle stands. Get underneath and remove the under tray, the front ones on either side are T25 and the rear three are T45.

You will now be able to see your gearbox with the drain and fill plugs:

IMG_20201226_120752.jpg

Before proceeding, make sure you can crack the fill plug loose, don't proceed if it's stuck or seized.

Place a suitable container under the drain plug and crack it loose with the 10mm Allen socket. It's tight but not ridiculously so:

IMG_20201226_120846.jpg

Remove the plug and the old gearbox oil will now drain out. I set a timer on my phone for 30 minutes to make sure most of the oil drained out. At this point I lowered the car to the ground again so the gearbox was level to make sure I got all the oil out:

IMG_20201224_163049_352.jpg

Remove the fill plug as well. This will help all the oil to drain out:

IMG_20201224_163049_354.jpg

With car still on the ground, reach underneath and refit the drain plug. The VW recommended torque is 30 nm (22 ft/lbs).

Now take about 3 feet of plastic tube and jam your small funnel into one end. Drop the pipe down the front of the engine and reach underneath the car and place the other end in the open fill hole in the gearbox.

IMG_20201224_125019.jpg

Open your first bottle of oil and pour a couple of glugs into the funnel and quickly get under the car and make sure the oil is going into the gearbox properly.

IMG_20201224_163049_356.jpg

Keep pouring the oil into your funnel and checking underneath the car that it's still going into the gearbox properly. The first couple of litres should go straight in but check frequently when you're on your third bottle. When the correct amount of fluid is in the gearbox, the oil will start dripping back out of the fill hole.

Stop at this point and give it a couple of minutes for the tube to empty. You can now remove it and refit the fill plug, again the VW recommended torque is 30 nm (22 ft/lbs). It's easier to do this if you put the car back on axle stands again - you'll need to to refit the undertray anyway.

Use a rag to clean the gearbox of any spilled oil, refit the undertray and take your car for a spin and enjoy the smoother shifting ?.

Last edited:

az101

Aug 29, 2011
Burnham-on-sea
Great guide just a quick question. Do you know the recommended interval on changing the gearbox oil? I'm at 90k and thinking of doing this. Not seeing any problems with gearbox but worth doing if it's on the service schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I don't think it does have an official change interval, VW consider it a lifelong oil. I think most people change it for peace of mind, fresh oil is always going to lubricate better than old, abused oil.

Reactions: az101

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Excellent info, thanks.
Was it much difference in shift quality?
I think mine might benefit, first and second shirt when cold aren't perfect (not bad though) - going to do it in the next few months.
What oil did you use?
Do you need new plugs/washers?

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
The shifting is definitely slightly smoother but not night and day. Having said that, the oil I used is a thin fuel economy that is supposed to help shifting in cold weather. I used Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75W and the fill and drain plugs don't have washers so there's nothing to replace washer-wise. Hope this helps.

IMG_20201228_205515.jpg

Reactions: SuperV8

superantew

Oct 16, 2020
Thanks ?. It is straight 75W. There is a Redline one apparently, if you go to Opie oils and ask in the help chat thing, they'll tell you which one.

Ok, might be many more.. but i know redline uses ester based oil wich are better..

Du u know an engine oil with 5w40 instead of 5w30 thats´s got the Vw specs?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Ok, might be many more.. but i know redline uses ester based oil wich are better..

Du u know an engine oil with 5w40 instead of 5w30 thats´s got the Vw specs?
The latest 507 VAG oil spec is only available in 5w30 and 0w30 viscosity grades.
Why would you want a thicker oil?

Doing a little research on gearbox oils - and there seems quite a lot of negative posts regarding redline's gearbox oils?!

My 184tdi 6 speed gearbox official oil is VW TL 525 27 (G 052 527 A2) - which seems very expensive! Is takes 2.3L RRP is £32 per L so over £90 quid!
You can get the previous VAG gear oil G052 512 A2 for £15 per L half the price of the new fluid! We'll never know the difference I suspect.

Fuchs does list Titan Sintofluid FE 75W-90 with a recommendation for this VAG number along with many others - which isn't an actual VAG approval that it's equivalent - just 'Fuchs' saying it's ok! Interestingly Opie Oils doesn't list this VAG number VW TL 525 27 - with the Sintofluid! but if you go to the Sintofluid FE is says VW TL 525 27 in the Fuchs recommendation - Maybe just a website mistake?

One comment which worries me from the Sintofluid spec sheet -
"Rationalization of product diversity to one FE-MTF- product with several application opportunities. "

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
As a first time VAG car owner (at 48!) I do find buying parts and lubes for my car very confusing. It seems like VW do everything in their power to confuse people presumably with the aim of driving owners to the stealerships. Apparently this 6 speed box is based on a very old design of 5 speed box with the 6th gear added to increase fuel economy so it doesn't surprise me it needs a big standard GL-4 oil. Regarding Fuchs' lack of official VW approval, my view is that if a company of Fuchs' immense size, technical expertise and reputation say the oil is suitable then I'm happy with that. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Fuchs oil I used was the stuff sold by VW for 3 times the price!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Oil always has had a certain 'mystery' as it's virtually impossible for the end user to notice good vs bad!, only after extended time and full tear down/inspection which no one will do so we're stuck with just buying the OE oils at an extortionate price or trusting marketing bull/reputation/Motorsport advertising of oil companies (which i'm not very good at!).
If you fit some cheap/poor brakes or tyres its easy for an 'enthusiast' to notice they are rubbish - but oil would have to be shocking for someone to notice.

I drove my car this morning to its MOT taking particular notice of the gear changes (-3C this morning) and it it was actually nice and smooth (after 90,000 miles), however I did last night order some gearbox oil so I can swap it when I next take the under tray off.

I was undecided between the Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75W or Castrol Syntrans V-FE Fully Synthetic 75w80 GL4+ both had similar data sheets, the Castrol was slightly more expensive and had slightly less viscosity change with temperature and the statement swung it for me (but i'm sure both would be similar):
"Recommended by Castrol for all 5- and 6-speed manual transmissions of Volkswagen, Audi, Seat and Skoda and is used in the manual transmissions of a number of manufacturers as factory fill." also mentions "enhanced EP performance compared with a conventional GL-4 fluid in combination with synchroniser compatibility and fuel efficiency benefits"

The GL4 - GL5 thing is really depending on what type of gears they are lubrication - GL5 is used for Hyboid gears (found in rear diffs and longitudinal gear boxes like on the Audi A4 where the drive turns 90 degrees, as these need EP additives - 'Extreme Pressure' due to the way the Hyboid teeth mesh) - Our FWD transverse gear box doesn't have a hyboid gear set so GL4 is what is usually required. Castrol call their 75W80 oil GL4+ which included EP additives.

Reactions: superantew

superantew

Oct 16, 2020
The latest 507 VAG oil spec is only available in 5w30 and 0w30 viscosity grades.
Why would you want a thicker oil?

Doing a little research on gearbox oils - and there seems quite a lot of negative posts regarding redline's gearbox oils?!

My 184tdi 6 speed gearbox official oil is VW TL 525 27 (G 052 527 A2) - which seems very expensive! Is takes 2.3L RRP is £32 per L so over £90 quid!
You can get the previous VAG gear oil G052 512 A2 for £15 per L half the price of the new fluid! We'll never know the difference I suspect.

Fuchs does list Titan Sintofluid FE 75W-90 with a recommendation for this VAG number along with many others - which isn't an actual VAG approval that it's equivalent - just 'Fuchs' saying it's ok! Interestingly Opie Oils doesn't list this VAG number VW TL 525 27 - with the Sintofluid! but if you go to the Sintofluid FE is says VW TL 525 27 in the Fuchs recommendation - Maybe just a website mistake?

One comment which worries me from the Sintofluid spec sheet -
"Rationalization of product diversity to one FE-MTF- product with several application opportunities. "

Well i want a Thicker oil coating, cause i think it protects better :)

Know of any oil?

oilman

Forum Sponsor

Do you mean the Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75w?

If so we do list the VW TL 525 27 spec under the specifcations tab
Cheers,

Guy

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Do you mean the Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75w?

If so we do list the VW TL 525 27 spec under the specifcations tab
Cheers,

Guy
Hi Guy, Yes I meant to type - Fuchs Sintofluid FE 75w, Thanks.

My point still stands though that this is a Fuchs recommendation - not an official VAG approval.

Reactions: oilman

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Yes I totally agree, it is their recommendation. It seems to be the common thing now with many brands, not just Fuchs. I guess paying for VAG approvals on that scale would make the oil so expensive no one would buy it. I also wonder if it has something to do with VW TL 525 27 itself, as far as I can tell is a part number as well as a spec, add A2 onto the end of it and you get a sepcific size bottle of it. I think. So can an oil be officially approved for VW TL 525 27? To be honest, I do not know off the top of my head.

Cheers,

Guy

Reactions: SuperV8

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
All I'm saying is that I've done a few thousand miles with the Sintofluid 75W and my gearbox hasn't exploded yet. Fuchs is one of the biggest car lubricant manufacturers in the world, if they say something is compatible with my car, I'm quite happy to take their word for it 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.