Check your oil level !

NDF1982

On the subject of what oil to use in 2.0 TDI DPF engines, as far as I am aware, it must be a 5w30 oil that meets VW507.00 specification (VW504.00 is for petrol engines).

5w30 represents the flow rate of the oil at different temperatures, the first number (5) is the flow rate when the oil is cold and the last number (30) is the flow rate when the oil is hot.

The main reason the oil can differ from the DPF engines to the non DPF engines, is because any vehicle that has a DPF fitted has to use oil with specific additives that protect the DPF from harmful build ups of soot and carbon.

Using an oil with the correct flow rate is very important, but it is even more important to use an oil that meets the correct specification, in this case VW507.00. If you do not use an oil that meets the correct specification, there is a risk of not only damaging the engine, but also the emissions systems (CAT, DPF, etc.) too.

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
ok, so it appears I've used the wrong oil. Next time I need a top up can I put the correct oil in or should I not mix them? Although it seems like I've probably mixed them already!

Just to clarify, someone said earlier the castrol edge oil is for petrol cars too and is the petrol section, although NDF1982 you say the petrol and diesel varients have a different spec which implies to me the one I want wolud be in the diesel section.

Anyway, just shows you not to trust the dealer.

Why do VW have their own spec, my Honda doesn't - the manual only specifies tte flow rate.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Just been out and checked my oil after reading this thread a couple of days ago.

On my Cupra with 3200 miles on the clock the oil is at just above the Minimum when the engine is cold.

Will pop to Halfords or somewhere at the weekend and get some oil to top it up.

Which oil do I need to buy to keep inline with the oil that is already in the car?

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Castrol edge is under "petrol" on their website not diesel.(I mentioned that so you could find it)
It is for both types petrol/diesel. Its 507 approved and suitable for dpf. Its what most vw group dealers seem to use.
If you check with oilman, through "tdi section" on here he will confirm that it is correct (he will sell you some too no doubt)

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
If thats what the manual says, the old mk1 fr tdi 150 used that, the wifes pd 130 ibiza does too, Its a similar engine.
It`s the 170tdi that uses a higher spec oil, 507.00 . I think the ibiza cupra tdi does also.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
On the PD engines you must use the higher spec oil and do NOT mix them - you may cause damage to the engine otherwise. IIRC all of the engines that have shown damage to the cam area (lobes?) on the 1.9PD in the Mk1 Leon have been ones where incorrect oil has been used. Engines will use oil when driven hard, that's what the oil is there for. As said above, there is no excuse for not doing regular checks.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
According to the manual
Petrol vw501 01 / vw502 00/ vw504 00
diesel injector pump (all pd except 160/170 bhp) vw505 01/ vw507 00/ vw 506 01
diesel injector pump 118kw (pd160 ibiza cupra) vw 506 01/ vw 507 00
dpf diesel vw 507 00

Apparently all are backward compatable, i.e. diesel 507 will suit all, and for petrol vw 504 will suit all. However 507 says on the can its suitable for petrol or diesel, so I am guessing it is the best for all:confused:

To be honest if I had a cupra, I would confirm this with the dealers, or Seat uk

lsw

Apr 3, 2007
bedfordshire
yeh ive done the same phil3012 and seems the stock answer is "can i come back to you " do these stealers know the product or are they just blagging it ??????? LOL

rsr

Jul 11, 2005
manchester
i've just come back from stealers as i need a top up for my FR TDi. was told they only sell 5liters @£60 a go!!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Just had a call back from SEAT Customer Services (top marks for response time) and they said the following:

I can use any type or make of oil as long as it meets the following VW standards

501 01, 502 00 or 504 00 which is what johnbev said above.

Still no help as to which one I need to buy though. Will just have to go into Halfords or somewhere and try and suss it out.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise