Oil in crankcase breather?

Apr 1, 2023
Hi all, following on from another thread I made about EGR failure, just a quick question.

2012 Leon mk2 1.6tdi CAYC engine

Before my EGR failure, I noticed an oil leak down the back of the engine whilst doing a pre-mot inspection underneath, at first I thought it was the turbo that was passing oil as I then checked the oil level and found there to be very little on the dipstick, looked further into it and found that the turbo was fine (no drivability issues and there was no play in the shaft) and took off the intake pipe all the way to just before the turbo and as I took off what I can only presume is a crankcase breather, found this pipe to be fully coated in oil and had oil in the intake pipe just before the turbo but none before where this breather connects into the system. didn't take any pictures whilst doing it but just got a pic of the internet and have circled said pipe so people know which pipe I'm on about.

Just wondering if it is a common issue with the 1.6 or whether this is something that I need to be looking at, TIA

Attachments

• Inkeds-l500_LI.jpg
    Inkeds-l500_LI.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 79

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Completely normal. Nothing to worry about

Crankcase breather. Oil vapour. You can install what they call a catch can but i wouldn't bother