Curiousness temperature problem

iliastra

Oct 12, 2013
Since 03/05/2018 I have been facing a strange problem. The story of the problem and the symptoms is described below:

1. On 05/03/2018 at the first engine switch on (morning), Engine malfunction indicator was activated on the dashboard. As I went to the authorization delegation in Ioannina in Greece, I noticed that the cooling temperature reached to 117oC (always under normal conditions the digital indicator on the dashboard show 90oC ) while the oil temperature was about 105oC. The diagnosis tool showed that should was replaced the spare part with code 4h0121671d (solenoid valve). The solenoid valve was replaced.

I got the car back on 07/03/2018 and it had a normal operation.

2. On 08/03/2018 at the first engine switch on (morning), the Engine malfunction indicator and the EPC indicator was activated on the dashboard. The car deactivated the START/STOP system and enabled the SAVE MODE. I observed that after switching off/on on the engine some indication (either the Engine Malfunction or the EPC) could go out or stay. Sometimes light on only the EPC, sometimes only the Engine Malfunction and sometimes both together.
The Cooling Radiator circuit was washed with Cleaning Radiator liquid but the problem remained. According to the delegate, the water pump had to be replaced.

NOTE: Sometime I went to take the car from the authorization delegate (I put it in my garage, so as not to be exposed to weather conditions) because there was no spare part available (06L121111G), the car was running normally and there were not fault indicator lights on dashboard (although the problem had not been resolved)

3. On 30/04/2018 I got my car back and they had changed the following spare parts, Coolant Regulator (06L121111G), water pump, Coolant expansion tank and Battery. The car on the day of pickup running normally.

4. On 01/05/2018 I noticed at the first engine switch on (morning, 09:30) that the digital display of the coolant temperature in the dashboard when the engine switched on, showed 50 °C immediately while the ambient temperature was 18 °C. The car in less than 1.5 kilometers surpassed 110 °C. The car was immediately immobilized. In the afternoon (20:00) of the same day at start-up the digital display (Coolant Temp.) of the dashboard displayed "- -" for a long time. In a test, near 20-25Km, the coolant temperature did not exceed 80oC while the oil temperature was lower than usual (near 70oC). The next day the car went, again, to the authorization delegate and the coolant temperature did not exceed 70oC after 12Km.

NOTE: There was not fault indicator lights on dashboard and had not entry of fault in ECU’s memory.

5. On 21/05/2018, I got my car back from the authorization delegate and they had replaced, according to the technical man, sensors and temperature valves and he said to me that "All mechanical parts concerning the cooling system have was replaced". The car, after testing with the technical man, had running normally. The next day (22/05/2018) the car had normal operation.

6. On 23/05/2018 at the first engine switch on (morning), that the digital display of the coolant temperature in the dashboard showed 50°C after 2-3 second from engine switched on, while the ambient temperature was 20 °C. The coolant temperature exceeded 90oC in a run less than 2Km and showing temperatures such as 92oC, 93oC, 97oC etc. while the oil temperature was close to 60oC. Arriving to the authorization delegation (12 km distance), the coolant temperature was at 115°C while the oil was close to 105-107°C (normal value).

NOTE: There was not fault indicator lights on dashboard and had not entry of fault in ECU’s memory.

According to the PDF “1.8 L TSI Engine 3rd. generation Mechanicals Self Study Programme no. 157”, the coolant temperature works from 85-105oC, but the driver take as feedback on dashboard 90oC to know that everything is normal.

upload_2018-5-30_10-49-38.png

Probably if the ECU detect any fault, the driver feedback on dashboard will be the actual temperature of engine. However, at points 4 and 6 appeared on dashboard temperatures, such as 91oC, 92oC, 93oC, 94oC etc. which are between the range of 85-105oC, without ECU detect any fault.

Since it was not detected any fault, WHY on dashboard appears temperatures values (such as 92 oC, 93 oC, 94 oC etc.) while should was appearing the value 90 (operation under normal conditions) ?????

Also it is very clear that it is impossible the coolant temperature to be 50oC immediately or after 2-3 second from the first engine switch-on of the day and after a long stop (ex. 10 hours) while the ambient temperature is 20oC and the car is parked in garage.

A common point among the times that the problem arose is that it happened after a long stop. In addition it is clear from the first second (from engine switch on) if the problem will appeared or not. Never, until now, has the problem occurred during the route (e.g. at the first 30 Km was operating normally and then raised the temperature)

Finally, I don't know if is it normal, the oil temperature to be smaller than the coolant temperature after 10-12 Km (point 6: coolant temp. 115oC while oil temp. 105oC)

any idea??? could you help me???

Thank you in advance
(I apologize for the long text)

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Bit hard to read your text, but some pointers:
- Coolant temperature should ALWAYS be 90ºC. If it is not, there likely is a problem with the thermostat or some leak/obstruction in the system, or even a seal issue.
- On the extreme scenario, I would look at head-gasket failure or about to fail

Do you have any other dealer to take the car too? I would be dubious about their inability to diagnose such a fault and sort it, given so many tries they had...

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
When I first got my Cupra I thought the temp sensor had failed because it reached 90C quicker than any other vehicle I've owned. Parking for a couple of hours, then driving a few hundred metres had it up to 90. A closer look showed that it does warm up incredibly quickly. Probably due the the water cooled exhaust manifold.
I've not seen coolant temp over 90 yet.
Is the coolant level dropping in the overflow tank? Checked when stone cold.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
When I first got my Cupra I thought the temp sensor had failed because it reached 90C quicker than any other vehicle I've owned. Parking for a couple of hours, then driving a few hundred metres had it up to 90. A closer look showed that it does warm up incredibly quickly.
I read that the car speeds it up by not starting the coolant pump until the water round the engine gets hot.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise