Dash Cam Installation

Formentor John

Dec 30, 2022
Hi

I have a next base front and rear camera to fit to formentor. Does anyone have any fitting advise especially where to wire it to? also is getting the rear cable through the boot cable tube doable on these cars?

Sorry one last question, anyone got any recommendations for a good installer? I would probably travel if it was a good fitter.

Baron

Jul 4, 2016
Ireland
I fitted a front one last weekend, albeit to a Leon, but frankly the fuseboard seems the same. I didn't do the rear so cannot comment. It was a pretty easy DIY job on the front. I used the 20amp 12v(cigarette socket) fuse so that when the power goes off so does the dashcam. I had it wired to another because it has parking mode but I didn't need it on so much so changed it the next day. Mine is a roadangel(doesn't have a screen so quite discreet)

You need a hardwire kit. You don't next a next base one, most any of them will do. Just make sure it will fit the power socket, i.e don't buy a newer type c version if you're cameras aren't type c. If you buy a kit, most of them come with a little plastic tool to help you remove panels on the car(sounds scary). Youtube my friend, you'll find a good few guys in the UK fitted them to different cars and you'll be confident to give it a good after watching a few).

Your car will be easier that the linked video as you won't need to remove the bonnet latch but there are other videos as well.

If link works.

As much as Ioathe to say Halfords, as they're as much a professional fitter as I am(I'm not) I don't know where you are so they can fit it if you're not confident doing it.

Slowest bit, is the A-pillar getting the wire behind the airbag. Total job maybe 15-20mins. I spent as much time after that picking the right position for the camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Formentor John

Rockyfuzzball

Aug 15, 2022
Evening, I followed this guide , which I found on youtube, and fitted a next base camera to the front, I have the rear one yet to fit, I was waiting til the weather warmed up a bit though as I am a bit worried that the plastic may be brittle. I did have a tentative look the other day, and the upper internal plastic panel in the hatch was easy enough to remove, my plan being to route the cable up , under the headlining, around the side to the same fuse box.and gives you access to the cable tubes. I will probably have a go in the next month or so.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Hi

I have a next base front and rear camera to fit to formentor. Does anyone have any fitting advise especially where to wire it to? also is getting the rear cable through the boot cable tube doable on these cars?

Sorry one last question, anyone got any recommendations for a good installer? I would probably travel if it was a good fitter.

I went with AVR for mine. Not cheap but excellent work and service. Never had an issue and I used them on my last car (BMW X1) 5 years ago. No issues whatsoever and a very professional installation, all done on my drive at home. I went with this one and I'm very happy with it.

Not sure if they do install only but might be worth checking (y).

Formentor John

Dec 30, 2022
many thanks all for the help. I might give it a go my self, Also like the sound of the cig socket, had this done when fitted to other cars with no issues other electrics or discharging the battery.

Hoping the VAG style trims and plastics can stand up to being popped off! They do look like it when compared to cheaper brands.

Baron

Jul 4, 2016
Ireland
Take pictures of the fuseboard before you remove anything. You'd be surprised how quickly you forget where it came out out. Was it 4th from the left or 5th from the left??

Reactions: Fencer60

dazed

Mar 28, 2022
I had a go at fitting my dashcam last weekend, could not get the glovebox out! Gave it way more force than I liked. Using strong plastic trim tools I was both pushing the springy bit in while pushing the box away from it, one side came out but not the other. Need to try again this weekend, I might just remove screws and drop the whole glovebox.
If anyone has any tips I'd be grateful

Baron

Jul 4, 2016
Ireland
Did you watch the Youtube video shared above about the Formentor? Anyway my Leon is nearly the exact same. Only difference is that on his there is a little button or tab(if you like) on the left whereas mine is on the right. What I did was(one side at a time) was pull the left hand side in a little towards the inside/drivers direction to where you feel it isn't sitting where it was meant to. Then repeat on the other(this time using the little push button thing as I only had one) and again pull now in the opposite direction(towards the passenger door) OR pull towards the door AND towards you. It'll pop off quite easily.

If you go to that video and pause at 6:06 you will see the plastic bit. It is really just a bit of plastic that runs along a channel in the bodywork(also plastic) so you're really just pulling these inwards/apart. I will point out that I do not have that ratchet bit that he installs back in the end.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I had a go at fitting my dashcam last weekend, could not get the glovebox out! Gave it way more force than I liked. Using strong plastic trim tools I was both pushing the springy bit in while pushing the box away from it, one side came out but not the other. Need to try again this weekend, I might just remove screws and drop the whole glovebox.
If anyone has any tips I'd be grateful
This set of destructions for the Leon might be useful?

dazed

Mar 28, 2022
Thanks both.
Yes I studied the formentor video intensely, multiple times, as I was convinced I was doing something wrong. Based on the above I was doing it right.
I'll have another go over the weekend but think I need to do the right hand side first as there was less give.
Just pray I never have to swap a fuse in there ever!

Baron

Jul 4, 2016
Ireland
It's like removing anything for the first time, I remember removing a rear light assembly and it was very snug on the car. I was so afraid to put pressure on it. Eventually it came away from the car, not breaking anything or damaging paintwork, all to change a bulb as Seat decided to put incadescent bulbs in the rear assembly even though it was partially

Rockyfuzzball

Aug 15, 2022
I warmed up the plastic with a hairdryer, as I was worried about it being brittle, but yes you have to use a lot more force than you feel comfortable with

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
You've just reminded me, I bought a next base twin pack beginning of December and have not fitted it yet!!

Formentor John

Dec 30, 2022
Many thanks all for the above info, I may give it a go myself and get the front one fitted. If not I have spotted on the forum a business that does retrofits so may get in touch with them.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Be careful fitting the rear dashcam. If you damage any of the clips when trying to feed the cables through the boot between the car and the tailgate you could end up with water getting i to the car.

Saying that, I got my dealer to install my BlackVue DRS750S 2Ch for me. If the boot got damaged that was their problem to sort. In the end they did a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Fitted mine today after referring to the Formentor dash cam video above. It was very helpful!

Obviously took a rookie a lot longer than the video suggested but wasn't too difficult. The hardest part getting the bloody glovebox dropped. Pushing those tabs did nothing. I ended up using a largish plastic wedge I had and literally prised the side of the glovebox away from the catch and again when trying to put it back.

Still got a rear cam in the box. Might get round to it at a later date 🤔

Reactions: jcbmally

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Fitted mine today after referring to the Formentor dash cam video above. It was very helpful!

Obviously took a rookie a lot longer than the video suggested but wasn't too difficult. The hardest part getting the bloody glovebox dropped. Pushing those tabs did nothing. I ended up using a largish plastic wedge I had and literally prised the side of the glovebox away from the catch and again when trying to put it back.

Still got a rear cam in the box. Might get round to it at a later date 🤔
Good coincidence, I fitted mine on the Leon this morning too. Totally agree about the glovebox… what a mofo that was to get dropped down. Needs a lot more force than you’d expect to use on a thin plastic item to get it moved. Those tabs are literally useless, it would be easier to not have them to give you more leverage on the glovebox and surrounds itself.

SEAT didn’t make it easy to change a fuse if you need….

Reactions: jcbmally

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
Did a dash cam install yesterday - well the front camera is in and the rear cable is installed up to the parcel shelf. Going through the boot umbilical is an adventure for another weekend.

I have found a hard earned few tips, which I shall divulge in the near future.

Attachments

• 20230211_101057.jpg
    20230211_101057.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 141

Andy.M

Mar 20, 2022
Did a dash cam install yesterday - well the front camera is in and the rear cable is installed up to the parcel shelf. Going through the boot umbilical is an adventure for another weekend.

I have found a hard earned few tips, which I shall divulge in the near future.
Yes Ive got a rear cam still in the box to fit. Was wondering the best route to get across to the rear hatch.
Will be interested to see how you get on!

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members