Data Plan Notification

i4n

Feb 5, 2022
Hi all,

I purchased a data plan (2021 Seat Ibiza but I don't think it's model specific) and have used the data up. All went fine. Now though every time I start the car I have notification on the display (one of the little red icons on the top right) saying that my data plan has been used up. Yes, I know it has. The first time was expected. But the 45th onwards not so much.

It's starting to get annoying now. I know it's a massive first world problem to have but has anyone else had this and figured out a way to make it stop? I see a notification there and think it's something important like a software update or something, not this persistent notification to tell me the data has run out.

I was passing the dealer the other day so popped in and the first 4 people I spoke to didn't even know you could get data plans for cars and kept passing me onto someone else. The final staff member knew what I was on about and suggested turning off the ability to top up in car which I have done and there's no change.

I'm almost at the point of buying the 12 month plan to make it stop! Perhaps that's their master plan all along....

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Hi all,

I purchased a data plan (2021 Seat Ibiza but I don't think it's model specific) and have used the data up. All went fine. Now though every time I start the car I have notification on the display (one of the little red icons on the top right) saying that my data plan has been used up. Yes, I know it has. The first time was expected. But the 45th onwards not so much.

It's starting to get annoying now. I know it's a massive first world problem to have but has anyone else had this and figured out a way to make it stop? I see a notification there and think it's something important like a software update or something, not this persistent notification to tell me the data has run out.

I was passing the dealer the other day so popped in and the first 4 people I spoke to didn't even know you could get data plans for cars and kept passing me onto someone else. The final staff member knew what I was on about and suggested turning off the ability to top up in car which I have done and there's no change.

I'm almost at the point of buying the 12 month plan to make it stop! Perhaps that's their master plan all along....
I have a 21 plate Formentor and I didn't buy a data plan due to the ridiculous cost. I switched off the on board esim in the infotainment system and use my mobile as a WiFi hotspot. Everything works as it should including updates.

I don't know if this is an option for you in your Ibiza?

Reactions: i4n

i4n

Feb 5, 2022
I have a 21 plate Formentor and I didn't buy a data plan due to the ridiculous cost. I switched off the on board esim in the infotainment system and use my mobile as a WiFi hotspot. Everything works as it should including updates.

I don't know if this is an option for you in your Ibiza?
You can do that, and I have, but as soon as the car connects via the WiFi hotspot it comes back! I also lose some of the functionality from the app as well (like it doesn't update if the doors are locked or send a planned navigation to the car)

I only got the data as I was over in Europe for a week and it was cheaper to do that and use the car as a hotspot than it was to pay the data roaming charges I'd have to pay. Wish I'd just stumped up the £££ to do that now!

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
You can do that, and I have, but as soon as the car connects via the WiFi hotspot it comes back! I also lose some of the functionality from the app as well (like it doesn't update if the doors are locked or send a planned navigation to the car)

I only got the data as I was over in Europe for a week and it was cheaper to do that and use the car as a hotspot than it was to pay the data roaming charges I'd have to pay. Wish I'd just stumped up the £££ to do that now!
Ah, I'd have probably done the same had I been travelling abroad. I'll make sure I don't now just in case!

So it comes back even with the esim switched off, that's odd?

I've found the app to be very stable recently tbh. I think maybe once in the last 6 months it's told me the car was unlocked. I hope you get it sorted (y) .

i4n

Feb 5, 2022
Ah, I'd have probably done the same had I been travelling abroad. I'll make sure I don't now just in case!

So it comes back even with the esim switched off, that's odd?

I've found the app to be very stable recently tbh. I think maybe once in the last 6 months it's told me the car was unlocked. I hope you get it sorted (y) .
Thanks!

Edit to add: I'm guessing that as soon as the car gets a data connection via the phone hotspot it talks back to Cubic Telecom and they send out the notification * shrugs in confusion *

I don't know if it's just a quirk with my car or others have it as well which is why I popped the post up.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thanks!

Edit to add: I'm guessing that as soon as the car gets a data connection via the phone hotspot it talks back to Cubic Telecom and they send out the notification * shrugs in confusion *

I don't know if it's just a quirk with my car or others have it as well which is why I popped the post up.
Yeah, you're probably right there. I guess once you've taken a package they keep pestering you. What a pita!

I've had a quick search on here but can't find anything specific. Quite a few re: Cubic Telecom though.

Apr 10, 2023
Thanks!

basketball stars
You're probably spot on with that assessment. They must persist in bothering you after you've accepted a box once. The nerve!

I did a fast search, but I couldn't discover what I was looking for. However there are a lot of references to Cubic Telecom.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’ve seen this - or a similar issue - mentioned on some VW forums in the past where owners signed up to an initial free Cubic Telecon data plan. Once the plan had expired, there was a notification displayed to that effect - i.e. that the data plan had expired - and that message reappeared repeatedly with no obvious way to stop it reappearing.

The general concensus seemed to be that the only way to stop the notification was;
  • To not take up the initial free data plan in the first place
  • To pay for the privilege, and renew the data plan when it expired
Frustrating, even if it could be considered a first world problem 😕.

i4n

Feb 5, 2022
Out of frustration I emailed the Cubic telecom tech support the other day and have just had a reply, they're going to get one of their technicians to look into it so hopefully they'll make it stop. I'll report back if they're able to do so.

@SRGTD I'm glad in a way that it's not just me, although I didn't get any free data with my Seat, I voluntarily paid for it as it was cheaper than data roaming on my mobile phone, wish I'd just stumped up for that daily charge instead now!

@Alex667 I've thought of that, but I'm not sure it'd stop as I bet their system will keep sending the notifications out! It seems so rubbish at doing what it should do.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Yeah, you're probably right there. I guess once you've taken a package they keep pestering you. What a pita!

I've had a quick search on here but can't find anything specific. Quite a few re: Cubic Telecom though.
You're probably spot on with that assessment. They must persist in bothering you after you've accepted a box once. The nerve!

I did a fast search, but I couldn't discover what I was looking for. However there are a lot of references to Cubic Telecom.
I know there's no copyright on people's posts on forums; but really...:mad: wtf?

There's another on this thread too ffs 🙄. Thread #3 (mine) & #5 (https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/members/radesatzn.136762/)

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I know there's no copyright on people's posts on forums; but really...:mad: wtf?

There's another on this thread too ffs 🙄. Thread #3 (mine) & #5 (https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/members/radesatzn.136762/)

It's an easy way to get your post count up I guess.
Anyhoo, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" apparently ;):p

• Haha
Reactions: oldgitdave

i4n

Feb 5, 2022
Thought I'd pop back to my thread and let everyone know I think I've found a solution - after many emails with Cubic Telecom they finally added a small amount of data onto my cars plan and when that expired the notification hasn't come back!

Don't think I'll be buying any more data

Reactions: oldgitdave

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Thought I'd pop back to my thread and let everyone know I think I've found a solution - after many emails with Cubic Telecom they finally added a small amount of data onto my cars plan and when that expired the notification hasn't come back!

Don't think I'll be buying any more data
Good to hear it!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise