DiddlyDonker's FR PD170

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
What's the ride like? Less harsh?

Not much different from standard tbh, just a lot better in corners.

EDIT: After driving on the springs for a couple of weeks now the ride does actually feel a lot smoother than on stock springs. Can still feel every bump but it's not as harsh.

Last edited:

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Quick UPDATE:

Gave SHARK Performance a ring today and got the car booked in next Tuesday 16th for a DPF gutting as I will be moving from where I am at the moment, near a dual carriageway, back to the old windy roads of lower North Wales in a week where I can imagine the DPF will start becoming a hassle with the amount of stop start journeys and no duel carriageway or long roads to clear it out!

Long 3 hour drive to Mansfield but I've heard plenty of good things about them as a company. Anyone get any opinions on them?

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

bradfr

Jun 3, 2013
Looks good mate! How are you finding the leon to drive compared to the type r?

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Looks good mate! How are you finding the leon to drive compared to the type r?

Thanks pal. Comparing it to the Type-R is difficult because I did love that car, and it was a Petrol, but if I had to I'd say the Leon is a more than worthy replacement.

The things I miss about the Type-R are mainly the sound and power! Don't get me wrong I love the FR and there is more than enough power there for my liking but as its a diesel there's always that delay as you wait to reach the turbo range, but when the turbo kicks in the pull it gives is extremely satisfying :D equal to or if not more satisfying than the Type-R. I'd say the Type-R felt a lot more secure in corners as well. The thing I didn't like about it was the rev range. For example doing 30mph if you were in third gear it would sit at around 4k revs and so on. Don't know if that's normal in most high powered petrols? But it did like to rev. It could hit up to 8-9k rpm! And you needed to reach 6k before the V-TEC kicked in! Still wasn't as thirsty as my mates Focus ST and gave around 32mpg driven normally.

My main issue with the FR lately has been the small consistent problems I've been getting with it which drive me crazy but I love the power and 45mpg it returns even after having some fun so can't fault that!

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
UPDATE:

Well bye bye DPF. Guys at SHARK did a great job with great customer service, really would recommend if you live around the Mansfield/Sheffield area or don't mind travelling like I did. Car feels much nicer to drive now, no power loss or change of exhaust tone when it's trying to regen anymore and I got a nice 55mpg on the way home without having to drive at a snails pace so can't argue with that! Might just be me but it also sounds like the turbo can be heard more with it gone. I like it none the less. Also got a nice little SHARK Performance sticker to put on my car :p I LIKE STICKERS :D.

Next job is plastidipping the wing mirrors and badges and spraying the interior fascias. Will have to wait for the weather to pick up for that though. Will get some more pics up soon also.

As always, thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Daniel M

Blackbelts & Chickenheads
Apr 18, 2013
Middlesbrough
Did you get it remapped at the same time or just dpf gutted and software removed? Yeah turbo can be heard a lot more with it gone. Mine is much louder than it was prior to having the dpf done.

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Did you get it remapped at the same time or just dpf gutted and software removed? Yeah turbo can be heard a lot more with it gone. Mine is much louder than it was prior to having the dpf done.

Just a Stage 0 DPF gut and software mapped out. Reason I got the diesel FR was for economy with power, best of both worlds, so thought it would be defeating the reason of why I bought the car remapping it. Was tempting though!

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Finally got round to debadging the rear of the car today:

Before

After

Left the FR in place as I prefer it that way. Will be spaying the S in matte black with plastidip soon as well. Not too sure how it will look but it's plastidip so it can come straight off if I don't like it :D.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Ollie1990

Jun 6, 2015
Huddersfield
This car is looking absolutely stunning mate :)
I'm thinking about the facelift climate control unit as well. How do you change the lights on the inside? Is it something simple? Also, is it a straight swap? Plug and play? :)

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
This car is looking absolutely stunning mate :)
I'm thinking about the facelift climate control unit as well. How do you change the lights on the inside? Is it something simple? Also, is it a straight swap? Plug and play? :)

Cheers pal. The climate control unit is a straight swap, easy job, although you have to swap two wires around in order to get it to store memory i.e remembering what settings you left it on when you switched the car off. For example I havent done this and every time I turn my car off, no matter what temp etc I had it on it will reset back to 20 degrees. I don't find it that much of a problem tbh and you just get used to it eventually. Another thing to note is how dim the lights are. Can't really see them in the day, that's my main issue with it.

A guide on how to do it all can be found here, the 9th post down:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=377629

As for the lights, I'm assuming you mean the colour change? From red to white? If so I have a mate who does it as a business although if you're able to solder it's pretty easy to do.

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Crazy not to have mapped it when getting DPF out could have gained mpg so makes sense

I wasn't sure if it would increase the MPG or not plus money is tight at the moment so I couldn't really afford the added cost of it and the insurance :/ . But I'm happy with it as is so its all fine and good :D

Ollie1990

Jun 6, 2015
Huddersfield
Cheers pal. The climate control unit is a straight swap, easy job, although you have to swap two wires around in order to get it to store memory i.e remembering what settings you left it on when you switched the car off. For example I havent done this and every time I turn my car off, no matter what temp etc I had it on it will reset back to 20 degrees. I don't find it that much of a problem tbh and you just get used to it eventually. Another thing to note is how dim the lights are. Can't really see them in the day, that's my main issue with it.

A guide on how to do it all can be found here, the 9th post down:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=377629

As for the lights, I'm assuming you mean the colour change? From red to white? If so I have a mate who does it as a business although if you're able to solder it's pretty easy to do.

Ahhh, I might have to copy you with the white lights then, I have a friend at work who can do some soldering for me :) thanks for the info!

Ollie1990

Jun 6, 2015
Huddersfield
Not much different from standard tbh, just a lot better in corners.

EDIT: After driving on the springs for a couple of weeks now the ride does actually feel a lot smoother than on stock springs. Can still feel every bump but it's not as harsh.

Have you had any problems being too low on changes in elevation? Going on a hill or driveway or anything?
Looking at putting some H&Rs on mine but i live in a hilly area and I have a splitter, so not sure if I'll have to constantly take different routes to avoid bottoming out the car :(

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Ahhh, I might have to copy you with the white lights then, I have a friend at work who can do some soldering for me :) thanks for the info!

Copy away! Glad I could be of inspiration ;)

Have you had any problems being too low on changes in elevation? Going on a hill or driveway or anything?
Looking at putting some H&Rs on mine but i live in a hilly area and I have a splitter, so not sure if I'll have to constantly take different routes to avoid bottoming out the car

Personally I haven't. My girlfriend lives up a farm track with a fairly steep dip up the driveway and it handles it all fine. I think I've heard it rub a few times when driving up a really steep hill in my town that has sharp corners all the way up. Only hear what I think is rubbing when turning the corners though. Even then it's minor! Not sure how you'd get on with a splitter though as I don't know how low they sit, although I was thinking of getting one too but I'm also concerned it may become too low for the roads I drive.

fair point' I have a mint FL stereo if you interested

Not the biggest fan of the FL stereos tbh, my girlfriends got an FL Leon and I find them a bit fiddly and annoying plus I'd have to get the LEDs changed to white to match the rest of the car. Out of interest how much are you selling it for though?

DiddlyDonker

Jan 3, 2015
North Wales
Small updates:

Plastidipped the wing mirrors as the wrap was starting to peel and stuck on my H&R stickers I got with my springs and SHARK sticker I got from SHARK Performance. Also got a front FR badge.

Front FR badge (I just like the look):

H&R sticker and Plastidipped wing mirrors:

SHARK Performance sticker:

And just a nice little edit to end because ... Why not? :D

So as I said, only a small update and probably a debatable one! I know some people are completely against stickers etc but I had them with the products I purchased for the car so I though I may aswel try em out and they're only suble. Might end up removing them, not sure yet, but what do you think?

Also just a quick note on the Plastidip if anyone is thinking of using it, I've had it on for around 3 weeks now and it has held up much better than I expected. I used 4-5 coats (approx 1 1/2 - 2 cans worth) and I've had no peeling, chipping or scratches. Really easy to use. The only problem with it is the price, £15 a can ain't the cheapest but it doesn't require primer or lacquer (unless you want to use them).

Thanks for looking!