Diesel from a drum.....?

the_fbi

'05 Fabia vRS
Jun 14, 2004
Northamptonshire
The college at which i bought the so called refurbished injectors (prior to glynns ) had been send back and tested again and said the were fwooked , now they are telling me it was my fault ,

i cant see that fitting a set trying to start it (at which it wouldnt ) would ruin them straight away ,
Its quite likely that it could screw them up, but what is in your favour is that you removed their "refurbished" injectors and fitted another set (making no other changes), and the 2nd set worked straight away. This points directly at their "refurbished" injectors being the issue and proves that your garage fitted them correctly as again, the 2nd set they fitted worked OK.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
Well not entirly convinced its 100% , any1 from merthyr way is out and about over wkend so I can listen and compare

Also does the revs go past 4k I'm sure it used to go all the way b4 but now only wants 2 rev to 4k

Cheers

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Andrewcupra TDI wrote

The college at which i bought the so called refurbished injectors (prior to glynns ) had been send back and tested again and said the were fwooked , now they are telling me it was my fault ,

i cant see that fitting a set trying to start it (at which it wouldnt ) would ruin them straight away ,

If this is the first set of replacement injectors you fitted, I think that you hadn't cleaned out the fuel system properly, just had a go at the tank. There will still have been contamination in the fuel lines, pump, filters and etc. When that got into the injectors it bunged them up, which is why the car wouldn't start, and continued attempts to start the car would ruin the injectors.

Remember, this is a PD car and the injectors are each little syringe pumps. You were trying to force fuel full of solid particles through the very fine holes in the end of the injectors. It won't go, and something's gotta break.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
Andrewcupra TDI wrote

If this is the first set of replacement injectors you fitted, I think that you hadn't cleaned out the fuel system properly, just had a go at the tank. There will still have been contamination in the fuel lines, pump, filters and etc. When that got into the injectors it bunged them up, which is why the car wouldn't start, and continued attempts to start the car would ruin the injectors.

Remember, this is a PD car and the injectors are each little syringe pumps. You were trying to force fuel full of solid particles through the very fine holes in the end of the injectors. It won't go, and something's gotta break.

everythings been taken off and cleaned out all the fuel lines tank cooler all been cleaned and blown through ,

i am getting 2 different stories from the guys at the college garage , one saying they were overhauled , the other says the electrical bits were changed on my originals , which we all now they were knackered ??

im still getting a little trouble now , it will start and runn (not over 4000rpm mind) but once ive been for a run , stop and then try and restart it wont , i wait 5-10 mins and then she'l start again ?? could it be my intank pump not working correctly

cheers

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Andrewcupra TDI wrote

Have you seen how small the holes are (through which the fuel is drawn) in the body of a pd injector? There is no way any dirt or debris can get through them!
Glynn

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
everythings been taken off and cleaned out all the fuel lines tank cooler all been cleaned and blown through ,

i am getting 2 different stories from the guys at the college garage , one saying they were overhauled , the other says the electrical bits were changed on my originals , which we all now they were knackered ??

im still getting a little trouble now , it will start and runn (not over 4000rpm mind) but once ive been for a run , stop and then try and restart it wont , i wait 5-10 mins and then she'l start again ?? could it be my intank pump not working correctly

cheers
I doubt that very much mate.
Glynn

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
glynnd wrote

Have you seen how small the holes are (through which the fuel is drawn) in the body of a pd injector? There is no way any dirt or debris can get through them!

The fact remains that the inlet holes in the injector body are much larger than the spray holes in the end.

In an earlier post "stuff like paste down in the injector holes" was mentioned. Paste is fine particles suspended in liquid. Just by being too viscous it would have too much resistance to allow the injectors to function properly, probably jamming them up and damaging the cam followers and the cams. In the process it would block the injector nozzles.

I fear there's a strong possibility that some remnant of this paste is responsible for the present rough running, fouling the injectors and spoiling the carefully-calculated spray pattern. Examining the fuel filter might tell you if there is still contamination in the system.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Any ideas what it cud be
If it will run continously until you stop it, then you have to wait a few minutes until it restarts,then I am a bit baffled.
I dont know what information influences the start procedure when its hot.
Is there smoke from the exhaust when you are trying to start it? That would tell us the fuel is getting through ok.
Glynn

the_fbi

'05 Fabia vRS
Jun 14, 2004
Northamptonshire
once ive been for a run , stop and then try and restart it wont , i wait 5-10 mins and then she'l start again ?? could it be my intank pump not working correctly
Check the anti-shudder valve is working smoothly and all the vac pipes around there are OK and not split.

ASV will close off the intake to stop the car cleanly, possibly its a bit clogged up and not opening cleanly for an instant restart, but after a few minutes its crept open and allows the car to start?

You can actually get at the lever for it and force it open manually to test this.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
Check the anti-shudder valve is working smoothly and all the vac pipes around there are OK and not split.

ASV will close off the intake to stop the car cleanly, possibly its a bit clogged up and not opening cleanly for an instant restart, but after a few minutes its crept open and allows the car to start?

You can actually get at the lever for it and force it open manually to test this.

Does this stall the engine ? I'm sure I've pushes that before and thets what happened , I have cleaned the egr valve whileit was off

I will check on smoke , but nothing obvious have the get the mrs 2 staart while I look

All this paste has gone now evrythins been thouroly cleaned

I'm thinkin could it be the fuel temp sensor < one close 2 pd pump> this threw a code up b4 but cud have been while sum1 was disconecting things , hasn't thrown one up since

Cheers

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
Its def when temps reach 90 , have just checked the asv and its fully closed. So am baffled , couldn see that smoke was coming out ?

There is a small amount of fuel leakin drom by that fuel temp sensor < which iam about to replace as soon as my uncles back 2moro> along with oil and filter again

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.