Door protection

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
was just wondering if anyone had any tips on door protectors for the leon, since there arnt any plastic guards that ruin the lines of the bodywork :)

our main problem is that we have a sheltered drive with brick walls on either side and its quite narrow too, in the way that you cant open doors on both sides to the first click postion if you park in the middle (thats new builds for you!!). so if ur not carful opening the doors then the door will hit brick (ouch!) and chip the paint where there is contact.

does anyone else have this problem (probably not!) or know of any door protectors type things. the only ones i can think off are like an orange reflective triangular thing from the 80's and i dont want to stick them on a leon!!!

cheers,
g :D

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
Just be like me and be SUPER careful. I cant find anything that wont look tacky on car.

A friend came for a drive the other day, opened the passenger door and whacked the car next door. Luckily there was no mark but I almost wrung her little neck. Nothing winds me up more than people who are careless when opening doors :cry::cry:

(oops some issues methinks :))

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
hi Seton,

i know what you mean, i am also careful and hope others are equally so. but am preparing myself for the first ding that will happen to one of the door panels which is going to be inevitable really :cry:

yeah, anything unsightly just aint going on the car!! i'll have a search around the web and see what i can find. surely door protection has moved on since the 80's.

going off the topic, im getting my parking sensors fitted this afternoon, the guys is coming round to do it. will post some pics after that has been sorted..

cheers,
g :)

JonTelfer

On the crab
Jan 24, 2007
How about a strip of wood mounted on the wall at door strike level - will be more door friendly than brick.

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
How about a strip of wood mounted on the wall at door strike level - will be more door friendly than brick.

That's sort of what I came up with for my garage. A couple of batons of wood either side at "door strike" level covered in sponge (glued on)! Has definitely saved the doors a couple of times when I've not been careful.

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
thanks Phil, ive emiled the paintsheild folks so will see what they say.

thanks for the suggestion guys the car will remain fab looking but the drive might look a bit shabby ;) but like u say if it saves the car a few times it will be worth it

i also noticed that the rear doors contact at slightly higher point than the front doors :doh: yeah ok, i was studying the car last night and measuring the contact with the walls.

good to know what others have done though, cheers! :)

seadragon

SEADRAGON
Apr 1, 2006
Benington, Herts.
Good luck G,

Keep us updated. I might need something to protect my doors soon once my gf starts driving my car. I will need rim protectors to to protect my alloys from her lol.

Since she has taken over my Smart forfour Brabus a couple of months ago she has ruined 2 of the 4 rims already (they cost £1700 a set), OUCH !!!!

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
our main problem is that we have a sheltered drive with brick walls on either side and its quite narrow too, in the way that you cant open doors on both sides to the first click postion if you park in the middle (thats new builds for you!!). so if ur not carful opening the doors then the door will hit brick (ouch!) and chip the paint where there is contact.

I have these fitted in my garage to stop that problem

DSC06094.jpg

I got them here :
http://www.shop.edirectory.co.uk/au...su/d/park+smart+wall+guard/pid/1658250#review

I emailed the guy asking for a bulk discount & got 25% off [B)]

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
thanks for all the suggestions guys!

i am liking the plastic wall guard Jace :) and not a bad price too!
got to remember that i am fixing to the outside of the house so would ideally like something smart looking aswell as practical. or the neighbours will flame me!

that looks like the way to go,
cheers, g :D

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
hmm yes and no..
the parts dont look bad but dont think they will look good on our red car (they'll stick out like a sore thumb imo)

someone with a black or zenith car could make use of this though
g :)

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
:lol: A no from me and mines black!

Id prob fit them if i DID damage the door, to cover up the damage till I got it painted! :D

Chris

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
Wall protectors are best in your own garage but xpeleu will give you the protection when you are out and about.

They are the same firm that put on the chip protection film onto the front of my cupra.

ghosty

Jun 14, 2007
essex
so whats to stop them being nicked when you are parked up if they are just magnetic :confused:
..well appart from the fact they are hideous! ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.