DPF Experiences

Your experience of the Diesel Particulate Filter?

• Never seen DPF lights, no problems

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Seen DPF lights, DPF cleared with no problems

Votes: 56 23.8%
  • Seen DPF lights, had problems clear DPF

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required covered by warranty

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required NOT covered by warranty

Votes: 15 6.4%

• Total voters

cambobfr

Not sure where you got the 3k thing from; in the manual it says that if the DPF light comes on to sustain revs at about 1400rpm and speed of at least 60km/h (38mph) for about ten minutes, therefore most motorway driving will clear it and keep it clear. It seems that stop start driving makes it fill up. Also it is nigh on impossible to maintain 3k revs unless you drive in 3rd or something!!! Hope this helps?

Actually, 3k revs seems to work for me - just sounds/feels like you're getting a nice clean burn and theoretically some extra heat to promote the passive regeneration. 38mph? I read 50 and, *at least* 1400rpm. The exhaust gets damn hot so that should certainly be enough anyway, but having seen the DFP light 3 times now (since getting it fixed), I can certainly say that doing higher revs for just a few minutes seems to keep it clear. I also noted, with some experimentation, that putting the engine under a lot of strain around town without ever hitting high revs made the DPF light came on very quickly (ie, next day). I then changed my style to avoid straining the engine at low revs and keep it in lower gears around town (using 4th only on the level) and that's working really well. Now whenever I can hear it starting to soot up (kind of a huffing sound), I take a detour and run it at 3000 for 5-10mins (50+mph). I haven't seen the DPF light in several weeks now. Hopefully that'll turn into months.

Bobster

per4manz

I bought an FR 550 'bout 2 months ago and am cautious running in and try where possible to keep the revs to no more 2000 until 1000miles are clocked up. The DPF light came on around 560 miles and took about 10 miles to clear ( of course to get it to clear I had to exceed 2000 rpm) came on again at abot 750 and took one mile to clear and hasn't been on since, but its now run in and where possble I like to keep the turbo spinning.

blocky

I have just bought a FR550, but the dealer didn't say anything about running in.

Do you have to run the car in, if so what is the guide line.

per4manz

to daveyP, of course i've been over 2000 rpm- i had to, to clean out the DPF.
But for the first 1000 miles i have tried to maintain lower revs purely to run it in.
If you read what i said, the DPF has only been on twice. Now I'm rarely below 2000 rpm- that's why I bought FR, because of the performance.
Are you trying to tell me you redline your car from new? If so, i would'nt buy a second hand car from you.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Are you trying to tell me you redline your car from new? If so, i would'nt buy a second hand car from you.

How can you run an engine in if you never use the full span of the rev range - I would much rather buy a 2nd hand car that has actually been driven, the worst cars to drive are the ones that have been nursed around.

No one suggested bouncing it off the rev limiter but there's nothing wrong with actually driving the thing.

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
How can you run an engine in if you never use the full span of the rev range - I would much rather buy a 2nd hand car that has actually been driven, the worst cars to drive are the ones that have been nursed around.

No one suggested bouncing it off the rev limiter but there's nothing wrong with actually driving the thing.

Exactly. I tried to keep mine below 4k for the first 1000 miles (easy) and rarely took it to 3500. It was never driven hard, and always allowed to warm up and cool down before/after a fastish run, but I think the worst thing you could do for that engine is keep it (significantly) under 2k for the vast majority of its first 1000 miles.

LeonGTI

Back to the green pump...
Jan 16, 2008
Warwickshire
cars don't need running in as much as they used to.

I had my tfsi from new and didn't go mental to red line but didn't molly coddle it either, just till oil is warm. Feels nice and loose now!

Just drive it and enjoy it

Dave TDI

I have done almost 1,500 miles in my new FR TDI and did try and keep revs below 3500 (most of the time) for the fist 1,000. Interestingly the dealer said if you give it the beans in the early days but after a 500 - 1,000 miles or so the car will losen up and probably result in a quicker car and give you less DPF issues - sounds like good advice to me!

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Had my first DPF experience this weekend.... have had a few days off work so no motorway driving for a bit.... anyway did a fairly long (45 min) trip across SE London on Friday night (average 10mph prob!) and on sat lunchtime i got the light and the "Diesel Particulate Instructions" message... I was picking my son up to go to Lakeside so i drove all the way there in 3rd Gear (great fun!) the light actually went off after about 3 miles but i carried on anyway cos it was a laugh! My son kept saying "Dad the lights gone OFF you can slow down......!!!!!"
Oh well after 10,500 miles at least I know my car DOES have a DPF, I was beginning to wonder!

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Had my first DPF experience this weekend.... have had a few days off work so no motorway driving for a bit.... anyway did a fairly long (45 min) trip across SE London on Friday night (average 10mph prob!) and on sat lunchtime i got the light and the "Diesel Particulate Instructions" message... I was picking my son up to go to Lakeside so i drove all the way there in 3rd Gear (great fun!) the light actually went off after about 3 miles but i carried on anyway cos it was a laugh! My son kept saying "Dad the lights gone OFF you can slow down......!!!!!"
Oh well after 10,500 miles at least I know my car DOES have a DPF, I was beginning to wonder!

I'm now at 14k and still not seen the light yet! [crosses fingers/] :)

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
DPF - thoughts.

I have only covered 850 miles, but I know that this can be enough time to start seeing DPF warning lights. Mostly I cover short journeys, 5 miles each way way to work.

My driving style post IAM course is different to pre IAM course...I drive in 3rd at 30mph in town. Keeps rev's up, full engine response is ready if needed, keeps DPF hotter maybe? As for the rest, as quick as I can within the limit (always ready for an overtake if safe). As a side note, I would recommend IAM course for anyone. I considered myself to be a good driver, however it became clear during this course that I was not reading the road anywhere nearly as effectively as I could be.
Back to the point..............

As for fuel, I use Shell V power. It gives performance gains in a different way to BP ultimate. BP has a higher Cetane rating = bigger bang. V Power is slightly lower in Cetane rating and is produced by using gas to liquid technology. This process makes it very clean since impurities are lost in this process and used in an engine it will clean the fuel system. I would expect exhaust emissions to be cleaner also.

Supermarket fuel - remember the oxygen sensor fiasco a short while ago? Enough said.

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but if all the facts and variables are collected and analysed there may be clear data of note here.

ktulumike

Jul 9, 2008
Banbridge, N Ireland
I travel A roads, doing on average 30 miles per day. DPF light has come on a few times if i've been bimbling along at no great speed for a few days not going above 50 mph. But once i give it the welly, it turns off. :rock:

greenakd

Jun 20, 2007
Devon
We had our first experience of the DPF light at about 3000 miles but soon cleared up after about 10 mins. My wife spends most of the time driving the kids to school and back so when I get hold of it I have fun.:whistle:

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
Hi,

i seen a mention in a post quite far back of a leaftlet from the dealers.

When i first wantered into the dealers habitat and expressed and interest in the FR TDI, the first questions where "what sort of driving do you do?" How many miles do you do?" And i was handed a seat leaflet explaining the DPF. I cant remember exactly, but it basically explained whats its for, how it works and what you may expect when driving. It also said that the DPF was not covered by warranty if you fail to follow restorotive actions as inducated in the manual should you be prompted to take them by the warning light.

On 2nd visit, i got another verbal remider to make sure your ok with it.

I said im looking at a 5 mile each day commute, roughly devided equally into 30, 40 and 60 mph limits. Although some of its crawling you can generaly sit for a few mins at each speed.

This raised a brow of concern, but i said most weekends we go a drive into the country which is 10-40 mins at 50-60+ mph and at least 60-100 miles in a single run of duel carridgeway each month.

This lowered the brow to a normal position and was told i shouldnt have any issues with the dpf.

Since ive bought the demo car that he and the sales manager had been driving in a similar way and he said the light never came on in 4750miles and then 250 miles of test-drives.

Will get the car on 31st but will be keeping an eye out on the driving style and what you guys are saying. A later chat with him on this DPF issue a rule of thumb was drive like a pertol untill up to temp. So change up at 2500-3000 rather than 2000-2500 which you would normally.

As for fuel, in my wee 56 corsa 1.7 Di (62hp there, now 168hp, will i see a difirence!?) i always used shell and only supermarkets if they were 2+p/l cheeper which was rare. I will probs stick with shell or bp in the new car as im sure the supermarket fuel will be of similar lowest possible quality as the top-up enigne oil they sell in the shop.

Stuart

T80NYC

DPF problems

Having just ordered a FR TDI, I am very concerned about these DPF Stories. I would be very interested in everybodies real experiences.

I have had LEON FR TDI since March 2007. I have had the DPF light illuminate 3 times in 23,000 miles. As per Salemans advice, give it a blast up the dual carriageway and it will clear, not very scientific, but worked on the first 2 occasions.

LAtest incident cropped up at 16:30 on xmas eve. Dutifully headed onto the dual carriageway, then after 2 miles the Diesel Glow indicator started flashing, eased off the throttle, to then find we had gone into limp home mode. Drove home did not drive the car again.

Rang main dealer on the Saturday after xmas, explained the problem, was told there was no appointment available till Monday. Asked if car was safe to drive, was told yes.

Arrived at main dealer on the Monday to be told you should not have carried on driving the car, if the DPF is full then it is NOT covered by Warranty and will cost £1500 to replace.

Left the car with the dealer, they rang and explained the DPF needed a forced regeneration which would cost £243 plus VAT. Told them to proceed, but explained I had followed the regeneration Procedure which had failed, therefore the defect is manufacturers and they should honour under warranty.

The thing is as far as I can see, and unless someone can tell me differently. Waht would happen if the DPF light comes on in rush hour in the centre of a city, whilst stuck in one of the infrequent traffic jams on our free flowing motorways, and you are not able to perform the regeneration procedure, so the car goes into limp home mode, that cannot be to fault of the driver surely?

I have heard that Ford heve developed a more pro-active system to overcome this problem. I will be hounding SEAT over this matter, will problably get no-where! But no harm in trying.

LWCARAB

Aug 21, 2007
Essex
I've had my FR TDI 15 months and done 14k miles and so far (touch wood) no dpf light but it has had a full exhaust change at 12k. I can sometimes hear it getting clogged but cleares itself.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.