DPF Experiences

Your experience of the Diesel Particulate Filter?

• Never seen DPF lights, no problems

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Seen DPF lights, DPF cleared with no problems

Votes: 56 23.8%
  • Seen DPF lights, had problems clear DPF

Votes: 26 11.1%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required covered by warranty

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Seen DPF lights, new DPF required NOT covered by warranty

Votes: 15 6.4%

• Total voters

LWCARAB

Aug 21, 2007
Essex
Not had the DPF light on yet (8800miles) and I do mostly London town driving as well as 20 miles on the M40 a day. It has been filed with BP ultimate since day 1 but never got the mpg average above 40, usually 37-39.
I's sometimes felt a bit rough and I've expected the DPF light to come on but cleared itself up.
Only problem was yesterday when it wouldn't start (different post), big problem though.

Stanley1

Joining the club, in more ways than one.

Hi all,

This is my first post on the forum, and I have joined up to share my experiences of the damn DPF issues, but more importantly give my thanks to all those that have already posted their views and pearls of wisdom to a problem that seems to happen to far too many Leon owners.

Mine is a Leon FR with 12k on the clock. After filling to the top last week, as soon as I left the petrol station the Engine Management light popped on. Horrified that my baby was poorly, I pulled over to read the manual and see what TLC she needed. After restarting the engine, she seemed much better so I went on my way. The same thing happened a few days later as soon as I left work but went off after about 10 miles.
Now this is where the fun started. After a 450 mile round trip this week, the dreaded light popped up again, but this time accompanied by the DPF. With the manual at home, I rang the missus to ask her to check what the light meant, and she told me the book says to give it a spanking all all should be good again. So I put my foot down, but after another few miles, the Coil warning light came on. I'm sure you can all guess the next stage of the adventure by now. Poor Leon FR went into Limp mode. Never having experienced this before (and being 60 miles from a nice warm bed), I pulled over onto the hard shoulder to call Seat Assist. The nice man from the AA turned up with his "My First Computer", put a little oil in (clowns) and told me there was nothing more he can do. Suggested I limp home to lick my wounds, and go to the nearest Seat dealer. Now, doing Limp mode during the tail end of rush hour wasn't much fun when there was 60 miles to go, but limp home I did.
The following day, I contacted Seat (Listers @ Coventry) and they said to Limp over right away (another 35 miles).
They did a bit of prodding and poking (prsumably like their computer told them to do) but struggled to diagnose my baby's illness. The regenerated the DPF twice, but the warning lights still came on. The said they would need to keep her in for observations, and would it be OK if she stayed in hospital until Monday. No courtesy car was offered, but having read this forum the night I got back the lack of a courtesy car was the least of my worries. I was dreading facing the £1500 bill for a new DPF. Sleepless nights enshewed, but then the story gets better. Seat called me on Monday and said that the clever 'engineer'(?) had called Seat Technical, and they told him to check the sensors. Sensors checked, sensors broken, sensors replaced. Leon FR all better again. Your author is happy as Mrs Author can now go away on holiday as no huge bill will be recieved.

Now, I have gone on a little bit but there does seem to be too many poor owners who have had sensor issues. I'm concerned that it took the Stealer so long to diagnose the issue, but more concerned about the posters who have been charged for passive / active regeneration after so few miles have ben travelled. Have people been charged by dealers for new DPF's when all it took was a new sensor, or is it possible that a new DPF really is needed after only a few thousand miles?

My story (although a little waffly) did have a happy ending, but should these things be happening so frequently on so many cars?

Last edited by a moderator:

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
Im not sure if everyone does this already but do any of you spend time running the engine at 3k rpm for say 15 minutes every week for example to clean out the DPF? From what I have read, booting it can make things worse as thats when the engine gushes out more soot caused by overfueling which can thow even more into the DPF when you think your cleaning it. Also long motorway cruisers are also at risk due to the long 6th gear which doesnt allow high enough exhaust temps to clean the DPF, unless your doing 110mph for long spells.

I really want the FR TDI but am worried about the DPF and the problems many experience. Im not interested by the TFSI despite only doing 10k miles per year.

Stanley1

Hi Neo,

The car regularly gets a run at about 3k revs, and gets all different types of driving. One week it's a nice 500 mile motorway round trip, the next it's a bit of fun down the lanes.
My main concern is how often the sensors are manfunctioning rather than the DPF clogging up, as the fallout from a dodgy sensor seems to cause no end of trouble for so many owners. 3 days back at the dealers, limping around the country when so far from home etc.

If the sensors are packing up on so many cars as we are getting reports of here, then surely Seat should be looking at sending out letters to all owners highlighting the issue?

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I really want the FR TDI but am worried about the DPF and the problems many experience. Im not interested by the TFSI despite only doing 10k miles per year.

Firstly, why not the TFSI? If I did only 10k a year I'd have some high revving mental b4stard of a car with 2 seats. I'm actually considering it when my mileage halves to 16k soon. Sure I read somewhere about DERV not being worth it unless you do 30k a year.

Also, I'd really not worry about DPF issues as the majority don't have any problems whatsoever. Although it does seem the lower mileage cars that have the problems which to me would also favour the "PERV" over the DERV.

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
Firstly, why not the TFSI? If I did only 10k a year I'd have some high revving mental b4stard of a car with 2 seats. I'm actually considering it when my mileage halves to 16k soon. Sure I read somewhere about DERV not being worth it unless you do 30k a year.

Also, I'd really not worry about DPF issues as the majority don't have any problems whatsoever. Although it does seem the lower mileage cars that have the problems which to me would also favour the "PERV" over the DERV.

One reason is that the TDI will be worth more come 3 year time and even though the TFSI is £1000 cheaper for an 07 plate, you would make the difference back over 3 years doing 10k miles per year, then there the difference in depreciation.

Financially the TDI will be £1000 cheaper to run. Plus I might be towing a caravan again. Car tax will be £260 for the TFSI next year too.

AndyVTR

Mar 19, 2002
I'm not sure you would make back that difference. 10k is nothing and the price of derv is getting silly.

Sure a 200bhp petrol would have no problem towing.

neo265

Oct 25, 2004
For 10k miles per year, I worked the TSI to cost around £800 more over 3 years, thats fuel, insurance and road tax. That nearly makes up the cheaper purchase price over the TDI but then the car will be worth a grand less so I'll be out of pocket by £1000.

rgsdesign

audi dpf 170 nightmare

very interested and sorry to hear some of you guys are having issues with this engine too.
my audi quattro 170 has been a nightmare from the day it was delivered. the dpf simply wont regenerate and has been recovered countless times by audi assist needing to be re set by laptop, limped home a number of times, had a new dpf and is still faulty. has done less that 5000 miles still and we hardly use it as you cant trust it to get you home . probably a 1000 of those miles have been in the process of trying to regerate / taking to garages etc. customer service is terrible and they try to cover up the issue and take ages to reply to letters and phone calls. I have emailed the uk and the german chief executives and still have a poor response. the letter promised from jeremy hicks still hasnt arrived so tomorrow I will be writing to every car mag and newspaper and consumer group i can. audi should be ashamed of themselves for their lack of interest. if you are considering getting one DONT!!! i hope your Cupra's are not as bad and that Seat are treating you better

foxy367

May 12, 2007
Wigan
These DPF things are a pain in the rectum, my normal journey to work consists of 35 miles of motorway in the early hours so I can stick at 80ish then the last 10miles is A-roads. I've had the DPF light on twice once was after the rally in Wales when I'd had the engine running for some of the night to keep us warm!!!!

The last time was last weekend. I'd been off for Easter week and my weeks driving had consisted of a few miles here and there (to B&Q mainly). We went out on the Saturday evening and the DPF light came on, managed to find a reasonable stretch of dual carriageway where I could keep the revs up. The light went out after 10mins or maybe a bit less and after that all seemed well.

Anyway went back to work on the Monday and the Emissions Control light came on. Took it to the dealer the following day, they regenerated the DPF and updated the software, apparently the DPF would only regenerate 90%.

Don't get me wrong I love the car usually but these DPF's are a nightmare, apparently though it is not just Seat as rgsdesign says, my friend is a Merc mechanic and they suffer and so too does BMW. Having done 35,000 miles in 18months and 60k not being far away do I bite the bullet and get rid before the warranty runs out or stick with it in the hope it stays ok?

foxy367

May 12, 2007
Wigan
Im not sure if everyone does this already but do any of you spend time running the engine at 3k rpm for say 15 minutes every week for example to clean out the DPF? From what I have read, booting it can make things worse as thats when the engine gushes out more soot caused by overfueling which can thow even more into the DPF when you think your cleaning it. Also long motorway cruisers are also at risk due to the long 6th gear which doesnt allow high enough exhaust temps to clean the DPF, unless your doing 110mph for long spells.

Not sure where you got the 3k thing from; in the manual it says that if the DPF light comes on to sustain revs at about 1400rpm and speed of at least 60km/h (38mph) for about ten minutes, therefore most motorway driving will clear it and keep it clear. It seems that stop start driving makes it fill up. Also it is nigh on impossible to maintain 3k revs unless you drive in 3rd or something!!! Hope this helps?

keensmith

I voted "No problems" originally! Obviously didn't have fingers crossed....!
Please forgive length of following, but I've been keeping a log (still ongoing!) & just copied & pasted FYI.
SEAT Leon 2.0 TDi FR. + Xenon Lights, 18” Wheels & Bluetooth. Bought early November 2006 from SEAT main dealer in Derby.
All OK until 13 April 2008. c. 17k miles.
Saturday, 12 April 2008 – Drove from Oban to Perth (c. 100 miles). Parked at hotel for night. No problems.
Sunday, 13 April 2008 – Partner had hurt her back previous day. Drove to Retail Park, Did about 3 short, stop/ starts as she couldn’t walk far. After third stop DPF light came on. Read manual & went about remedying problem by driving to Stirling (c. 40 miles) on motorway at constant speed & c. 2000rpm. Halfway on motorway Engine Management (EM) light came on. Got to Stirling & both lights still on. Stopped for coffee & to reassess. Half an hour later got back in car, started up & both lights out. Decided to carry on journey to Tillicoultry, as planned (c. 10 miles). Halfway there DPF light came on again, followed shortly by EM light. Arrived in Tillicoultry & made first call to SEAT Assistance (SA). AA arrived an hour later & plugged diagnostics in. After assessing situation AA man reset engine management light, but said he couldn’t put DPF light out. He said to follow instructions in manual (as I’d already done!) & the DPF light should reset. Set off back for Oban & sure enough after about 10 miles the DPF light went out. Continued journey back to Oban (c. 80miles) and no further problems.
Monday – Wednesday, 14 – 16th April 2008, Drove in & out of Oban from my home about 4 times (10 mile round trip each time). No problems.
Thursday, 17th April 2008 – Set off to Glasgow to pick up parents who had come up from Wales previous day by bus. About 50 miles into journey DPF light reappeared, once again shortly followed by EM light. A further 20 or so miles into the journey car went into “limp home” mode. I stopped & ‘phoned SA to find nearest dealer. Drove directly to Arnold Clark, Deniston, Glasgow & arrived around 10am. Explained situation + that it had happened the previous weekend. They said to leave it with them & they would sort. Around 4.45pm they called to say car was ready for collection. I went to pick it up, arriving just after 5pm. Girl behind desk couldn’t give me an explanation as to what had been done, but said that the lights had been reset, and the car test driven & all was OK. She also pointed me in the direction of the instructions in the handbook once again, despite me already telling her twice that I had followed these instructions already to no avail. I left Arnold Clark & within 10 miles both DPF & EM lights had come on again. It was too late to turn around & go back (they were closing up whilst I was collecting my car), so I decided to carry on home to Oban. A further 20 or so miles into the journey the car went into “limp home” mode once again. I completed the last 70 miles in this “mode” and made it home.
Friday, 18th April 2008 – ‘phoned SA & AA came around & assessed. After listening to my story they decided that I needed “recovering” to a SEAT dealership. I wasn’t happy with Arnold Clark’s treatment of me the previous day (they did wash the car however!), so I said to take it to Morrison’s in Stirling (again c. 100 miles away from my home). AA collected the car & took it there for me on a low-loader. Meanwhile I spoke to Richard of Morrisons, telling him my story so far, and he promised me their best attentions. Car arrived late on Friday, & I assume nothing more was done until Monday, 21st April.
Saturday – Monday, 19th – 21st April – Car at Morrisons. I ‘phoned a couple of times on Monday. In morning car was “on the ramp” & in the pm (late) the car was “being test driven”
Tuesday, 22nd April 2008 – Got ‘phone call from Richard, Morrisons, in the morning to say car was ready. I asked what they had done & he said they had reset the warning lights, test driven the car, and all appeared OK. I expressed my reservations & disappointment that they hadn’t investigated further, but I was more or less told that there was little more could be done, and I should come & collect it. I could then speak with the mechanic who would answer any questions & reassure me. Unfortunately I was unable to collect in person, so I arranged for Munro’s to collect (@£50 + VAT), with the understanding that the mechanic who dealt with the car would give a full explanation as to what had been done to the driver of the recovery vehicle (low-loader). Car was delivered back to my home in Oban, late on Tuesday pm, but driver said no one had spoken with him. He had just been pointed in the direction of the vehicle & sent on his way. Once again I was not very happy with my treatment by this dealer, who on reflection must have just reset the lights, test driven the car a short distance & decided that was that. No attempt was made to investigate the problem fully, despite my explanation that this was a recurring fault and I felt that something required replacing, rather than just resetting & “making the problem go away”. Anyway, car came back all lights extinguished and running smoothly.
Wednesday – Saturday, 23rd – 27th April 2008 – Local trips in & out of Oban. No problems.
Sunday, 28th April 2008 – Set off for regular monthly trip to Orkney (work). Car fine to Inverness (c. 110 miles). Stopped to do some shopping for c. 2 hours. Set off for Orkney again. 5 miles up the road, EM light came on. No DPF light, strangely, this time? Didn’t want to risk further warnings so decided to head for Bannermans SEAT dealership in Inverness. Arrived around 12 noon. Garage shut & Sales only open between 1pm & 5pm (being Sunday). Called SA yet again. AA man came within 40 minutes. I explained situation, briefly outlining above and he began diagnosis. Sure enough, it came up with problem with the exhaust emissions. He reset the warning light, but I was loath to set off for Orkney (a further 130 miles up the road, and no SEAT dealerships further north than Inverness). He agreed that in the light of the recent history it would be folly to go on, so a hire car was arranged (under SA Warranty), the car remained at Bannermans & I headed for Orkney.
Monday, 29th April 2008 – Got in touch with David, Service Manager, Bannermans, through the day. They couldn’t reproduce the “fault” so said there was little they could do (all lights were off thanks to AA man). Wasted day, but I agreed that a mechanic could take it home with him to Forres (c. 20 miles?) for the evening, so he could hopefully get a warning light to come on! I explained (once again) that I had driven 100 miles or so without this occurring, but if they thought that was the only way, then to go for it.
Tuesday, 30th April 2008 – ‘phoned David early on & discovered that despite the mechanics’ efforts (!) no lights had reappeared. I was then asked if I would allow them to drive the car more extensively through the day in order to try & get a fault to show. Reluctantly I agreed, repeating that there was a fault somewhere & surely SEAT must have a solution for this? By this time I had been on the internet & discovered that this DPF fault appears common amongst VAG cars that have this 2 litre, 170hp, diesel engine. I gather a new DPF costs in the region of £1,500, so understandably SEAT are not willing to replace it. I ‘phoned back at c. 4pm & was told that the car was still out being “road-tested”. Bannermans have therefore had it for 2 days now, found no solution, and I am no doubt half a tank of diesel in arrears!
Wednesday, 30th April 2008 – ‘phoned David c. 09:30. Mechanic took it home last night & he was “driving around Inverness” yesterday. Fault can’t be repeated, therefore they can’t do anything! I said that as I understand it, I will pick up the car tomorrow, head home for Oban (100+ miles) & as sure as anything the warning lights will come on again. He said, “yes, probably, but this time when you call SA, make sure that the patrolman doesn’t put the warning lights out, we can then trace the problem and attempt to repair” Phoned SEAT Customer Service (Rebecca). Explained all above. She said she wasn’t technically trained to answer questions, but would ‘phone Bannermans & get back. This she did, with the same story from David. So,“Very sorry, but it is showing no fault & there is nothing more we can do”
I find this whole situation very bizarre and most frustrating? My driving does not normally involve short trips & since the first episode, the warning lights have all come on after long drives. I do not consider myself a "gentle" driver (why buy this car if you're not going to use it?!). Surely the problem should have been fixed the first time (Arnold Clark), or even the second time (Morrisons) had it? If Bannermans are so sure they can fix if the lights are on? – All three DPF, EM & flashing coil (limp home) lights were on when the first two garages had the vehicle. I have now lost all confidence in what has been (& still is when it's working!) my ideal car. From reading this thread it would appear to be a major fault with these engines. I hope VAG are working on a solution & hopefully we can all get "recalled" & sorted in the very near future?

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
I'm not sure Jono? I would have thought that having all lights on would flag something up? Unfortunately my latest issue was "resolved" before Bannermans could investigate. They say, "No lights on, no fault"...!

It's just that from reading a few posts further up in this thread, there's been quite a few people with all the lights/limp mode/dpf regenerated etc... and it turned out to be a dead sensor or two.

mikey-typer

May 23, 2008
Im picking up my FR tdi 550 on wednesday alittle concerned now about the dpf!:cry: Dealer didnt make me aware of any issue with the car??

Oh and im changing from CTR FN2 and there is no way an FR TDi would get anywhere near a CTR old or new I can comment as I have owned both cars and drove FR 550 on test! A diesel with 170 BHP will never keep up with a petrol car with 200BHP!

Honda are not releasing a CTR diesel at the moment they do a civic sport with 2.2 engine but that only puts out 140BHP!

Can I suggest that if you were racing a CTR (on a private stretch of road) then they probably were not trying! You may well get an inital jump on them if accelerating in gear as they would probably have to drop it down to hit the 5,400rpm to get into the higher vtec rev range.

A CTR is as fast if not faster(top gear and fifth gear tracks) than the Leon cupra r although there is not a great deal in it either way! So a doubt an FR would be as quick:whistle:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Im picking up my FR tdi 550 on wednesday alittle concerned now about the dpf!:cry: Dealer didnt make me aware of any issue with the car??

Oh and im changing from CTR FN2 and there is no way an FR TDi would get anywhere near a CTR old or new I can comment as I have owned both cars and drove FR 550 on test! A diesel with 170 BHP will never keep up with a petrol car with 200BHP!

Honda are not releasing a CTR diesel at the moment they do a civic sport with 2.2 engine but that only puts out 140BHP!

Can I suggest that if you were racing a CTR (on a private stretch of road) then they probably were not trying! You may well get an inital jump on them if accelerating in gear as they would probably have to drop it down to hit the 5,400rpm to get into the higher vtec rev range.

A CTR is as fast if not faster(top gear and fifth gear tracks) than the Leon cupra r although there is not a great deal in it either way! So a doubt an FR would be as quick:whistle:

Do that test on a private track at full throttle in both cars and after 150 miles ... the FR550 will fly past you as you have to stop for petrol :cartman:

mikey-typer

May 23, 2008
Nice response hence why Im changing:cartman: Just get a little tired of people thinking their car is faster than it is!

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Nice response hence why Im changing:cartman: Just get a little tired of people thinking their car is faster than it is!

DPF issues aside ( and if you drive the diesel properly you won't see a problem) the Tdi is a lovely car to drive around in, fair enough it's no racer but in 95% of road circumstances it will be the nicer place to be. I haven't tired of the torque and that's despite coming from a VTEC honda :) Cruise at 80 in 5th in the honda, engine was at 4500rpm. Do that in the Leon in 6th and it was a little over 2000rpm. Mpg around 50 when doing that, my honda would struggle to get over 28mpg no matter how carefully i drove it. Changing down a gear to maintain speed up motorway inclines etc.

mikey-typer

May 23, 2008
Cheers fester looking forward to it now will be sad to see the rev happy honda go but looking forward to the cash savings:clap: