Drive train weights

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
A few of your members have weighed there alloy wheels. All these weights have corresponded so thought it would be good to post these up.

Although the weight difference isn't much, as this is unsprung (rotational) mass the lighter wheels, brake discs, drive shafts and fly wheels the more responsive the acceleration is, the more efficient the braking is and the more efficient the transfer of power is from engine to wheels. All in all a better car, to a point.

Wheels weights are contained in this data sheet

http://www.wheelweights.net/

17" FR+ alloy with nearly new Toyo T1R = 22.2 kg
18" LCR alloy with nearly new Pirelli P Zero = 20.6 kg
Bare 18" LCR alloy 10.5Kgs

Also just to add another known weight

323mm x 28mm LCR OEM Brembo disc 9.2Kgs
330mm x 28mm Badger 5 2 piece rotor with light alloy bell and screws 6.3Kgs

Please feel free to add to this with other Seat alloy wheel weights in 5 x 100 PCD.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Funny you mention this. I did the same thing the other day.

LCR with Pirelli P Zero was around 21.5 KG's
New alloy's I'm using are just over 7.5 KG's (alloys only)

When I get the tyres swapped over I'll weigh the OEM LCR alloy only

Not that it makes much difference but a lot of wheel weights are when the alloy is first manufactured, i.e. not painted or valves and center caps fitted etc

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The main benefit gained by reducing the unsprung weight is improved roadholding. The lighter wheels-and-tyres follow the bumps and irregularities of the road more closely since they are easier to move around.

Any effect on acceleration or braking due to the reduced inertia of the lighter wheels is secondary to the improvement in grip, which of course also affects acceleration, braking and etc.

robertj

weight is the enemy
A few of your members have weighed there alloy wheels. All these weights have corresponded so thought it would be good to post these up.

Although the weight difference isn't much, as this is unsprung (rotational) mass the lighter wheels, brake discs, drive shafts and fly wheels the more responsive the acceleration is, the more efficient the braking is and the more efficient the transfer of power is from engine to wheels. All in all a better car, to a point.

Wheels weights are contained in this data sheet

http://www.wheelweights.net/

17" FR+ alloy with nearly new Toyo T1R = 22.2 kg
18" LCR alloy with nearly new Pirelli P Zero = 20.6 kg
Bare 18" LCR alloy 10.5Kgs

Also just to add another known weight

323mm x 28mm LCR OEM Brembo disc 9.2Kgs
330mm x 28mm Badger 5 2 piece rotor with light alloy bell and screws 6.3Kgs

Please feel free to add to this with other Seat alloy wheel weights in 5 x 100 PCD.

Yes, my standard LCR 18s with GSD3s weigh 20.5kg.
My Team Dynamics Pro Race 2.1s with R888s weigh 19.1kg

robertj

weight is the enemy
Well, Rimstock quote the wheels as weighing 9kg for 18" (approximately I guess as different widths would change this) making the tyres 10.1kg. I bought the wheels and tyres as a package though so never got a chance to weigh them individually.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well, Rimstock quote the wheels as weighing 9kg for 18" (approximately I guess as different widths would change this) making the tyres 10.1kg. I bought the wheels and tyres as a package though so never got a chance to weigh them individually.
Alright, cheers Rob

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise