Driveshaft Nut.

GAZ.

Hello,
I have a mk4 ibiza, and in the middle of changing the drivashaft but have stumbled across a problem. Does anybody know what bolt is holding the driveshaft on, on the outside. Its like a funny sprocket shape about 34-35mm and is a bluey green colour. Anybody know where i can get one of these from.

Thank you for any help.

Gaz.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
36mm head and usually required a special tool or at least a narrow 12 point socket to get into it.

Also only done up to about 50nm plus 45 degrees if memory serves.

I got a genuine one from SEAT, cost about £20.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
And yes, they are use once items as you break the sprung locking tang when you take them off.

Use a deep Laser Tools socket - they tend to be black impact quality ones that have the correct "bi-hex" socket to get them off - use search here or on Briskoda to find out the exact size of socket that you need - I've posted that info out in the past. An ordinary hex socket will not work as its "6 pointed".

Edit, right, now you know the size, the one I mentioned does just fit into the recess in the hub - maybe Halfords, but more like a proper old style DIYer's car parts place - or market stall with old stock. You will get the part number etc of the socket on the "Tools Connection" website.

Last edited:

GAZ.

36mm head and usually required a special tool or at least a narrow 12 point socket to get into it.

Also only done up to about 50nm plus 45 degrees if memory serves.

I got a genuine one from SEAT, cost about £20.

So the socket is 20 quid and i need a new bolt aswel which is a a couple of quid.

Any other out of the ordinary tools needed? I have the driveshaft ready to go on, and it looks like there are just another 5-6 hex bolts on the gearbox side.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
They are spline bolts, should be M8 to M10 depending on what engine/gearbox you have.

You will also need to take off the bottom ball joint, three 13mm bolts.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that you need to release the end of the TCA to create enough room to get the driveshaft back out. If you are stuck for clues, then maybe splash out on a Haynes manual for a Polo 9N (Halfords) that way you will get all your torques and a run down of how to do this job.

GAZ.

Its a 1.2 12v, engine code AZQ or something similar.

What i was planning on doing is disconnecting the wishbone, nearest to the wheel, after taking off that 36mm bolt. Un bolting it from the gearbox side, and then hopefully the hub should pull out far enough to take it out and put the new one in.

Last edited by a moderator:

GAZ.

Whilst im here maybe you can help me with a few more probs. It has been in a crash, only light, no structual. But the airbags went off, drivers, passengers and seatbelt on the passengers side. I have all the bags and the dash. Can i connect them in then have the old airbag ecu reset and then connect them back up to that??
And hope they dont go off and ruin 600 quids of airbags and dash when i connect the battery
Gaz.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.