Ecomotive MPG

scopo

Hi all,

I am currently getting around 45MPG from my new Ibiza Ecomotive which I reckon is pretty pants !!!

Are there any other Ecomotive owners here ? Is this a generally typical MPG ?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
It mostly depends how you drive the car.

If you tickle the throttle and keep it at 2000 revs on a long run you should get the factory claimed MPG. If you drive it like a walley and only do short trips you will get much much less.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
It mostly depends how you drive the car.

If you tickle the throttle and keep it at 2000 revs on a long run you should get the factory claimed MPG. If you drive it like a walley and only do short trips you will get much much less.

I agree with Nathan.

I find it amazing how many people will floor their car everywhere and then complain that it doesn't achieve official figures.

I'm guessing with MPG that low you do mainly stop/start city driving, mainly short trips and you don't have the lightest right foot.

There are people on here with Eco's well into the 70's, so they can do it.

george130

Mar 6, 2008
Norfolk
I agree with Nathan.

I find it amazing how many people will floor their car everywhere and then complain that it doesn't achieve official figures.

I'm guessing with MPG that low you do mainly stop/start city driving, mainly short trips and you don't have the lightest right foot.

There are people on here with Eco's well into the 70's, so they can do it.

I agree, though some cars do seem to be strange in how economical they are...

My old 1.4 peugeot 106 would do 320ish miles to £35 every single time, whether i thrashed the pants off it or grannied it every day...

With the Ibiza, its more sensitive to how I drive it in comparison. If im in stop start traffic it can sit around 35mpg, but then if i'm on a long steady journey it'll average well into 60 or 70mpg area, if not higher! With a mix of town and a few country roads during the week, i average 47-50mpg.

To the OP... Maybe your new ecomotive just needs breaking in time? So it'll get better mpg as you pile the miles on. Stay light with the right foot, anticipate people slowing down to reduce braking and see how it goes after a nice long run.

boomhauwer

1.4 TDI Turbomotive :D
Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
74.34 mpg! which is pretty impressive :thumbup:

it was like driving miss daisy.:p

never again :cartman:

the key is just too keep the revs low,(offcours not too low) and anticipate against upcomming traffic.

btw, when i'm driving it with my trailer with a motorcycle on it, the boot full of stuff and one passenger, it only uses 5.6L/100km which is (according to my basic math) 50.45 mpg! and i can still easily maintain 75mph.
it's a very good engine (bit noisy though...)

my previous arosa 1.4 8V consumed way more fuel. i averaged with that car around 32mpg... and it was such a light car.

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi all,

I am currently getting around 45MPG from my new Ibiza Ecomotive which I reckon is pretty pants !!!

Are there any other Ecomotive owners here ? Is this a generally typical MPG ?

How many miles has the car done ?

If it's still pretty new then your MPG will noticeably improve as you get more miles on it. You most likely won't get the best figures until there's several thousand miles on the clock.

But as said above, it will also depend on your driving - of you only ever drive in urban stop-start traffic you'll never get good MPG.

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
How many miles has the car done ?

If it's still pretty new then your MPG will noticeably improve as you get more miles on it. You most likely won't get the best figures until there's several thousand miles on the clock.

But as said above, it will also depend on your driving - of you only ever drive in urban stop-start traffic you'll never get good MPG.

I got mine new, and didn't notice much improvement in mpg. (now I have 27000km on it)
the only thing that improved a lot was the noise.

btw, if anyone questions about the weird sound it sometimes makes, it is the DPF filter that is regenerating.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The whole point of the ecomotive is to get to 65mph as slowly as possible, then whack it in the long top gear & get good mpg.

it'll suck for driving round town

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
The whole point of the ecomotive is to get to 65mph as slowly as possible, then whack it in the long top gear & get good mpg.

it'll suck for driving round town

true, i still think the ratio of the gearbox is way too wide for in urban areas...

scopo

At the minute there is almost 8000 miles on the clock (it was ex-demo).

True most of my trips were short journeys with a fair amount of stop starting, but I was driving like a granny and still this was the best I could get !

The gearing does take a bit of getting used to too ! - Maybe I am just not driving it properly - Other Ecomotive owners, at what sort of speeds do you change gears ?

boomhauwer

Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
At the minute there is almost 8000 miles on the clock (it was ex-demo).

True most of my trips were short journeys with a fair amount of stop starting, but I was driving like a granny and still this was the best I could get !

The gearing does take a bit of getting used to too ! - Maybe I am just not driving it properly - Other Ecomotive owners, at what sort of speeds do you change gears ?

depends in what kind of hurry I am :happy:

I shift normally around 2200rpm

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.