EML Flashing & engine spluttering - Coilpack?

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
Evening all,

I think one of my coilpacks has gone down.

The EML flashes intermitantly and the car is mis firing.

Will it be ok to nurse the car 15 miles to work in the morning? Will it cause any damage?

Atleast that way i can get it hooked up to the diagnostics and find out which ones gone!

Cheers,

Dan

ian_cupra

sounds like a coilpack yup, just take it easy to work, if you can help it dont use it, but wont cause massive damage just as long as you take it easy and dont use it much

POB

Going nowhere slowly...
Feb 12, 2008
Newtownards, County Down
Hi there
Coil packs are a common problem on the mk3. Having had this problem on my own car it's advised to change all 4, they cost around £25 each. I had mine checked on some fancy diagnostic equipment and basically if one goes then the likelihood is the others will start to go too. Consider changing spark plugs at the same time for around £13.00.
Good luck
POB

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
I had 2 coilpacks go down.

I replaced all 4 coilpacks from ECP and cleared the fault codes.

The car now drives 100% spot on but my EML is on.

Ive read the codes and Cylinder 1, 2, 3 and 4 say open circuit.

What does that mean?

Cheers

POB

Going nowhere slowly...
Feb 12, 2008
Newtownards, County Down
God knows! All I know is that when I had my coil packs replaced the fault codes etc were cleared on a VAG Com system and all was well. However on a separate note the EML light came on recently and it was a faulty brake light switch - also very common! You will know this if you check that your brake lights come on when they are supposed to. Cost £7.00 for the switch and £15 labour.
Good luck....Keep me posted!
POB

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
Just done a good search through some threads and it seems i need some genuine coilpacks as the pattern ones ECP supply bring this fault up.

I'll give Seat a call tommorrow.

POB

Going nowhere slowly...
Feb 12, 2008
Newtownards, County Down
I got mine from GSF - they supply genuine parts for a fraction of the price, try not to buy from your local stealer. BUT......I can now highly recommend a fellow SCN member called seremotors. He is a parts manager for a franchised SEAT dealership and supplys genuine seat parts with free p&p. Find his site and you will see!! You will not get cheaper I promise you!:lol:

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
as you said mate, it sounds like you didn;t use genuine coilpacks. these will make the car drive fine, but still the computer notices that there is something wrong. You'll need to change them to remove the code and EML light

Danny_B

Jul 24, 2007
Essex
All done now.

ECP stock 2 different brands of coilpack. I bought the better ones today which had a VW part number on them.

EML is off and car drives spot on.

DO NOT USE 'ARC' coilpacks from ECP!

cupra_spencer

Jan 19, 2009
All done now.

ECP stock 2 different brands of coilpack. I bought the better ones today which had a VW part number on them.

EML is off and car drives spot on.

DO NOT USE 'ARC' coilpacks from ECP!

think this is what i need to do mate. get 4 genuine coil packs. mine misfires like a b*tch under boost (over 7psi) runs on just 3 cylinders!

ian_cupra

defo, mine been on year and half with no probs as yet (touches wood)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise