Engine revs dropping too sudden causing engine to stall??

jimmybonsaville

Hey guys and gals hope you are all good and cars are running fine...as if haha.

Anyways thought id see if any of you knowledgable folk could help me out with what once thought was just a anoying problem... which today nearly had me into a oncoming car!!!!

The car is a ibiza 1.4 chill

The problem i have is that sometimes when im coming to a stop say at lights or at a junction or even changing down to a lower gear coming to a stop..or slowing down for a junction....the revs drop too quick and cause the engine to stall. Now when approaching lights if im carefull and slowly let the engine cruise to 1k revs its usually fine but if i cruise too long on the clutch the engine dies and the red battery comes on. Sometimes i can drop the clutch and it will kinda bump itself. Its been happening for a while now and even tho it can be embarrasing stalling at lights etc today it did it as i turned into a road....what i didnt expect was total loss of steering hydrolics which nearly sent me into a oncoming car!! pretty close call.

Ive had the cam speed sensor replaced about 4 months ago which was roughly same problem but this happened at high speed mainly. I do have a VAG lead i got of ebay. Ive plugged it in and unless im missing some thing or admitadly...dont know how to use it lol its not thrown up any faults. One thing i have noticed is the idle is a little lumpy and when manouvering at slow speeds in 1st with clutch control its VERY lumpy with revs all over place. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:shrug:

2free

Feb 15, 2008
diesel city
www.myspace.com
i had a similar problem a while back, the topics in here somewhere. Mine was something to with a small hole in the break/ fuel pipe? something like that, it would choke and die when i stopped at lights and stuff.

was only about £100 to fix :)

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
anyone have a definative answer to this as i was told it was my MAF causing this so just been on the phone to seat and ordered one. dont wanna purchase it if this isnt the case.

doctor rage

Oct 22, 2008
Co Durham
could maybe do with checking the battery and alternator. most places will do this for free as it only takes a minute. I've had these exact symptoms on a different car an turned out to be a weak battery even though it started the car fine and didn't display any other flat battery signs.

dub_dan

Try cleaning your throttle body with some carb cleaner my old mk3 golf gti used to do this.

Raymondo

I have just purchased a freetrack 170 that's covered 6,000 miles and stalls in slow moving traffic when in second gear. I also have 140 toledo which has never stalled in second gear. Is this common for the 170ps engine?

Martyn1989

Jul 22, 2009
Mine does something similar as well, it's very lumpy under idle and throws in a few misfires and flashing lights.

Nothing I have done has fixed it so far.

P.s. Same car!

andy_tratter

Sep 17, 2008
Near JabbaSport ;)
Mine does something similar as well, it's very lumpy under idle and throws in a few misfires and flashing lights.

Nothing I have done has fixed it so far.

P.s. Same car!

same here, plus "fuel trim bank 1too lean" or what ever that error is. plus several other problems. gone into garage today cos im fed up with not getitng anywhere with it. if it ever comes back i'll let you know what caused it all!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise